Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga  (Read 5783 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:30 PM

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:35:19 PM by schild »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:46:21 AM

Nice review, sounds like an interesting game sort of (I prefer my combat to be of the non-sucking variety) but would you explain whats so good about the skill system?

I mean I could pretty much instantly see what phanton dust would make a great mmog combat system but I'm not sure I follow whats so complex/cool about this games?  Sounds like the typical skill tree dealio.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:49:19 AM

Nice review, sounds like an interesting game sort of (I prefer my combat to be of the non-sucking variety) but would you explain whats so good about the skill system?

Simply the fact there are skill trees. THey are pretty typical, but what's interesting is that all the characters have the same skill trees instead of being stuck in the Warrior/Rogue/Priest combination or a Final Fantasy sort of combination. It lets you actually - I think for the first time - play a straight forward RPG with complete freedom as to what type of characters you have. Also, certain skill tree movement (advancement) and combinations of skills can unlock other skill trees, making it a little more robust than it would lead you to think. Basically, it was a great edition to the same combat system we've seen for years, and it's a step in the right direction. Some of the skill spheres are really goddamn cool. I'm sort of wishing Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine (the SMT MMOG) would come out in America.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:27 AM

So a console developer finally got the hint locking my characters into roles sucked? Heh.

(Well, not counting FFT)

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:48:41 AM

But in a mmog where you only have one character what would make it good?  I still thinking I'm missing something, feel free to spoiler away I dont own any of the current generation of consoles (I have a ps1 somewhere I think) but I'm curious.

On a side note, I always wished the Magna Carta games had an english version the character artwork was so nice and it seemed like it must be a decent rpg considering some of the apparent fanboi'ism I've seen floating about on the net.   

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:51:46 AM

Shin Megami Tensei, traditionally, is an adult style (dark themes, gothic, etc) Pokemon type game. You're all very adept beastmasters of sorts, and each monster has different types of powers instilled in him. Imagine is that sort of game and I think it would be awesome. Always having a team of people with you works wonders for soloers.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 07:55:12 PM

Simply the fact there are skill trees. THey are pretty typical, but what's interesting is that all the characters have the same skill trees instead of being stuck in the Warrior/Rogue/Priest combination or a Final Fantasy sort of combination. It lets you actually - I think for the first time - play a straight forward RPG with complete freedom as to what type of characters you have. Also, certain skill tree movement (advancement) and combinations of skills can unlock other skill trees, making it a little more robust than it would lead you to think. Basically, it was a great edition to the same combat system we've seen for years, and it's a step in the right direction. Some of the skill spheres are really goddamn cool. I'm sort of wishing Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine (the SMT MMOG) would come out in America.

As Strazos mentioned, this sounds a lot like the skill system in Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1...  Is that the case, or how is it different?

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 09:45:09 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics had classes. This game doesn't really have classes so much as in depth diablo style skill trees.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 09:05:58 AM

I think you should just create a detailed chart, w/ like what the abilities do and how you unlock them ect ect.

Because I'm still not really seeing what is special/different, I might but dunno feeling kind of confused here.

-No classes (anyone can go up any skill tree)
-Certain skill tree unlocks other skill tree + You need multiple skill trees (presumably not linear to each other) to unlock other special skill trees.
-The skill trees are cool
-Oh and you have a monster pet and can tame/train/takeover new monster pets.

Also I looked at a gameplay movie from Sept '04 from the mmog it was pretty ghetto looking, wonder how it turned out.

-William Gibson
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 10:30:32 AM

I haven't picked up DDS yet (really pretty busy now so it probably won't be until after E3) but Nocturne, the previous game in the series has a character development system even deeper than what Schild describes and an even darker storyline. It's out of print in the US but you can get it for about $50 from Amazon.com resellers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 10:35:22 AM

Almost every EB around here still has Nocturne in stock. I picked that up on release day when it came out and the only problem I found with it was the pacing. And that killed it for me. While the dungeons in DDS are positively monstrous, the game is paced much more efficiently.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga  
Jump to: