Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:05:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Darwinia: Evolve your own damn pathing! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darwinia: Evolve your own damn pathing!  (Read 11633 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: April 04, 2005, 12:10:40 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 01:43:27 AM

I'm too tired to be clever, so I'll try plain.  If the game needs a patch to complete it's main gameplay path, I don't really care how nifty the rest of it is.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:35:00 AM

On the plus side, they recently dropped the retail price by about 50%.  By the time it's patched into stability it'll probably be reasonably priced to boot.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 02:43:04 PM

One must wonder: where the hell have all the British QA people gone? One assumes that at some point there were people in charge of things like testing and such. I swear every fucking piece of British software I've been near is nigh unto unusable because of stupid bugs that my grandma could have caught. Did the IRA blow up a British QA conference in attempt to destroy the country's technological growth? If so, it seems to have worked.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 10:42:28 AM

One must wonder: where the hell have all the British QA people gone? One assumes that at some point there were people in charge of things like testing and such.

FWIW, Introversion Software is only three people, literally run out of their collective bedrooms.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:51:18 PM

One must wonder: where the hell have all the British QA people gone? One assumes that at some point there were people in charge of things like testing and such.

FWIW, Introversion Software is only three people, literally run out of their collective bedrooms.

It's more of an indictment of the value of internet-based testing as a replacement for a real QA lab than a black mark on Introversion's reputation. I still think they're one of the best small indie shops out there, but they need to budget for some heavy-duty QA next time. They had several phases of alpha and beta testing with a number of folks (presumably) on varying platforms, which really should've caught some of the bigger bugs I've heard of; problem being, just like a MMO beta, I'm guessing only a small percentage of the testers actually submitted valuable feedback while the majority were there for a free, early taste of the game.

That said, I bought and finished the game myself a while ago; I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was too short to warrant the $40 (USD) pricetag for most folks. I didn't really mind shelling out the extra $20 or so since purchasing a decent game straight from a small indie shop gave me a warm, fuzzy "stick it to The Man" feeling. The only bug I, personally, encountered was on the Pattern Buffer level, where clashes between enormous masses of stuff eventually caused their sound routines to crash the program.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 01:20:46 PM

I actually dodged the Pattern Buffer bug by shamelessly dropping battle cannons in front of the bad guy spawn points.   wink  There won't be any big battles slowing down the game if the enemy is automatically annihilated the instant he spawns in.  Before I figured that out, the game would grind to a halt for a few seconds every time there was another incursion as my hundreds of moronic Darwinians ran around throwing grenades at each other in a panic.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:45:10 PM

the game would grind to a halt for a few seconds every time there was another incursion as my hundreds of moronic Darwinians ran around throwing grenades at each other in a panic.

Hrm.  I'm begining to think maybe we should issue grenades to the general public, hopefully they will similarly annihilate each other.

8)

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:30:47 PM

FWIW, they were charging ~$40 dollars for the game. I don't care if the game was made by a parapalegic
monkey in a basement; you charge professional game prices, you'd best provide professional game quality.

I think it is rad that they are living the dream of the independant game developer, and I respect that they are trying to put out innovative games. But ya gotta have da quality. My rabidness comes from the fact I'm a QA monkey for a living. I know it is a hard, craptastic job. It's no excuse for putting out a buggy game though. At the very least a patch should have come out by now.
Yoru

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 02:58:31 PM

I actually dodged the Pattern Buffer bug by shamelessly dropping battle cannons in front of the bad guy spawn points. wink There won't be any big battles slowing down the game if the enemy is automatically annihilated the instant he spawns in.

Ah, I just herded all of my dudes into corners near the target zones, annihilated everything but the dynamically-spawning enemies, then bum-rushed them and held 'em with squad backup. I never really used the battle cannons much; I relied heavily on sneaking an engineer to the nearest spawn-providing building and taking it, then dumping out squads as necessary to cleanse the area. Repeat.

The only levels I really used the little green dudes in were the one were the incubator level (the one where you have to hold spawn points instead of converting dead enemies) and the last level. And on the latter one, I only used the green dudes for the final island (the one diametrically opposed to where you enter).

FWIW, they were charging ~$40 dollars for the game. I don't care if the game was made by a parapalegic monkey in a basement; you charge professional game prices, you'd best provide professional game quality.

Go tell that to Activision and LucasArts.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 11:52:17 AM

FWIW, they were charging ~$40 dollars for the game. I don't care if the game was made by a parapalegic monkey in a basement; you charge professional game prices, you'd best provide professional game quality.

Go tell that to Activision and LucasArts.

Activision last I checked is just a publisher. While I have no doubt they were partially responsible for the unwholesome molestation of 'Vampire:The Masquerade', I still put most of the blame fully on the shoulders of Troika. LucasArts on the other hand has actually provided remarkably solid games. Of course they killed my childhood when they announced they were killing both the Full Throttle and Sam & Max sequels. Burn on a pile of angsty Anakin Skywalker figurines you bastards.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 11:56:19 AM by Prospero »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:12:39 PM

Activision shares more of the blame for Vampire: Bloodlines than Troika, IMO.

Sure, it was Troika's sloppy-ass programming that caused the bugs. But as the publisher, the money men, Activision has the final call on whether or not the gold candidate gets sent to the press or sent back with a "Fix it, you Slavic pigfuckers, or your next milestone check ain't coming." It isn't like the bugs in that game were well-hidden, obscure bugs. The main problems were all really obvious to any idiot that cranked it up. They could not have missed them, at all. Which means Activision got the gold, made sure it ran (like maggot-infested monkey shit), and sent it on its way. Either the QA department at Activision didn't do enough work or some fucker didn't listen to them.

Troika ain't blameless, but they ain't the final call either.

Yoru

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:28:46 PM

LucasArts on the other hand has actually provided remarkably solid games. Of course they killed my childhood when they announced they were killing both the Full Throttle and Sam & Max sequels. Burn on a pile of angsty Anakin Skywalker figurines you bastards.

Yes, but aside from that, they also published KOTOR2. From what I've heard, modders have discovered a large amount of game content not linked into the final storyline - levels and such that would provide an estimated extra 25% of gameplay. It's believed that this comprises the intended ending sequence to the game, as opposed to the rushed abortion reputedly provided.

As a disclaimer, that's all hearsay; I've been holding off buying KOTOR2 until a patch is provided that makes it less of a buggy pile of camel turds steaming under the hot desert sun. However, a little dinking with Google (e.g. a search for 'KOTOR2 modder ending') brings up some threads on the official boards containing 'cut' material. Granted, they're threads on an official board, so the level of asstardery is pretty high. Caveat observator.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 01:28:56 PM

Ouch. I had heard KoToR 2 was unpleasant, but I hadn't heard it was that bad. You've got to wonder what makes publishers move sequels to different studios. I can't think of a single time where it worked out well. Publishers must not like money.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 01:37:20 PM

Publishers like MORE money. By farming the sequel out, they save on paying salaries (and the taxes) for the production team, instead paying milestone checks to an independent developer. I'd imagine KOTOR 2 cost less to make than KOTOR 1.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 01:48:22 PM

Right. Theoretically they have to sell boxes to make money though. No one I know has bought the game and most of my gamer friends bought and enjoyed the first game. I was suspicious when Bioware wasn't making it, and then the reviews confirmed my suspicions. I seriously hope that there isn't enough stupid in the world to make this fucker profitable.
Yoru

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 02:45:38 PM

My guess is that they were relying on the goodwill towards KOTOR1 moving large numbers of KOTOR2 boxes, particularly for the X-box. I have no idea what they were thinking if they thought the X-box release would generate good buzz for the PC release.

As for the studio, I'm still being a total moron and holding out the faintest glimmer of hope for them. They have several old hands from Black Isle (Feargus Urquhart, for example) on board at Obsidian, so I'm hoping this was a publisher fuckup (rushing the X-box release for the X-mas 2004 season) rather than a developer fuckup. These guys are also working on NWN2, so we'll see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 03:00:39 PM

I seriously hope that there isn't enough stupid in the world to make this fucker profitable.

Three words. E.T. for 2600.

Yoru

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 05:21:34 PM

Three words. E.T. for 2600.

Maybe I'm getting my history screwed up, but the urban legend goes that they had to bury thousands of unsold/returned E.T. carts in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Further, the losses incurred by the production and subsequent failure of ET indirectly contributed to the downfall of Atari during the videogame market crash of '83.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 05:33:28 PM

Maybe I'm getting my history screwed up, but the urban legend goes that they had to bury thousands of unsold/returned E.T. carts in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Further, the losses incurred by the production and subsequent failure of ET indirectly contributed to the downfall of Atari during the videogame market crash of '83.

That would appear to be a true story.  I hadn't heard that before, very interesting.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 05:44:26 PM

For an awesome recounting in fictional form, read Lucky Wander Boy by D.B. Weiss. Which, by the way, could be considered the pinnacle and beginning of New Games Journalism. If you're so hateful as so believe in such a thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 09:38:54 AM

You're probably right about E.T. not being profitable. I was stumped for something witty.

How about boy bands, Friends, Titanic, and Doom 3 for profitable things people shouldn't have been stupid enough to pay for?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 10:11:23 AM

Update: the v1.21 patch was released today, and seems to have fixed the severe crashing problems I had initially.  I still had to cheat to replay the endgame sequence, but it did complete with nary a sb.exe, and I now have access to mods and the map editor, so... um... yay.  I'd probably be more excited if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in the shiny new Doom expansion at the moment, but I can finally retract my dire warnings about the game's stability.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 06:54:11 PM

Update: Darwinia now available on Steam for $20.  Also, they made the stupid gesture thing optional, so you can turn it off and have clicky icons instead or something like that.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 06:23:25 AM

things people shouldn't have been stupid enough to pay for?

pet rock
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 07:31:48 AM

things people shouldn't have been stupid enough to pay for?

pet rock

chia pets
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 07:38:45 AM

Pets.  Go to the rescue agencies and save a life! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 08:22:01 AM

Pets.  Go to the rescue agencies and save a life!

I guess I represent evil here. Some people don't like damaged goods. Which is 99% of what you find at a shelter. I've had many friends get a pet at them and have them be just shy of BROKEN. I had better luck adopting a cat off a street.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Darwinia: Evolve your own damn pathing!  
Jump to: