Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Update #6 on Test - Excellent stuff. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update #6 on Test - Excellent stuff.  (Read 4608 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: April 01, 2005, 09:27:24 AM

Just going to highlight some things:

-Offline selling from your house vault for 24 hours after you character logs out.
-Access zones only need one person with access now in most cases. >> They keep giving up ground on this one.
-Level restriction on Zek and EL lowered to 30 from 32. Access quests still an option below that.
-Lots of skill/spell fixes. Lots.
-Introducing quest paths in various zones. >> Thank you WoW!
-All quest rewards becoming NO TRADE.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:34:26 AM

-Access zones only need one person with access now in most cases. >> They keep giving up ground on this one.

They should be.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 11:17:15 AM

Yes they should. It is a freaking pain in the ass to have 5 people in a 6 person group flagged for nektropos castle then try to enter to find out one person was not finished with the access quest. This then took us another 40 minutes of running around the zone to flag them for it. For fucks sake I will open the door and HOLD IT OPEN for them. I is a real pain in the ass to get everybody flagged for every freaking access zone that still needs it so just making you need one flagged person per group would be a lot easier to deal with.

kaid
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:43:18 AM

Nektropos Castle is not on the list.  tongue

- The following instanced zones now only require one group member to have the access quest completed to allow all members to enter:

- Antonica: Firemyst Gully

- Stormhold: Tomb of Valor

- Temple of Cazic-Thule: Sanctum of Fear

- The Commonlands: Zarvonn's Valley

- Everfrost: Miragul's Menagerie

- Everfrost: Icespire Summit

- Fallen Gate: The Vault of the Fallen

- The Feerrott: Trembling Lagoon

- The Thieves' Way: Den of the Darkblade Assassins

- The Serpent Sewers: The Serpent's Lair

- Deathfist Citadel

- Permafrost: Drayek's Chamber

- The Vermin's Snye: Sepulcher of Jhanda

- Drafling Tower

- Runnyeye: Overlord's Throne Room

- Solusek's Eye: Bastion of Flames

- Ruins of Varsoon: Chamber of Immortality

I have never played WoW.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 01:02:00 PM

Meh it should be. Its not like the access quest is hard it just takes about 50 minutes of running around like a headless chicken in nektulos forrest. Its actually kinda nice the first time to see all the sights but after helping 10 people flag for it the run gets a tad old.

kaid
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 10:23:58 AM

They should be.

This is disappointing  :-D  Think of those "achievers" out there - this really erodes what SOE gameplay is all about and removes much of the purpose that such players strive for.

/dodge rock

/Vulture in flight
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 10:25:33 AM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 11:55:59 AM

Maybe the lack of such achiever gameplay will make them all starve.  evil

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 10:47:35 AM

Well it went live and it is delicious.

In other news, the level 50 berzerker skill Rampage was finally recognized as gamebreaking and nerfed into oblivion. This skill gave the zerker a chance to AE riposte each time he/she landed a hit in battle (short duration, long reuse timer). Apparently, in raid encounters with lots of weaker mobs, a single berzerker could get a chain reaction that would kill everything but the boss mob in literally 5 seconds. Bezerkers were logged at in excess of 100k dmg, more than the entire raid force combined.  So, SOE changed all such skills to a single proc effect instead of an attack that could create a chain reaction. Unfortunately, they left the 1 hour timer on Rampage for now.

Clearly this ability was ridiculously overpowered, but only because it was designed poorly. The possibility of it chaining should have been evident. Just another lesson in how players will find ways to min/max abilities beyond what any developer can forsee.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:49:46 AM

From my experience, the majority of developers suck at games. The QA people are always good, but generally the QA people are so into playing the game that some balance issues go by unnoticed. Or they're abusing it and don't realize what it would do on a macro scale.

To summarize: Developers need better QA people. QA needs better people with a designer mind.

In other news, the sky is blue and the pope is dead.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 01:53:47 PM

Yup the rampage thing I think will be changed so that the recast on it is lowered or its damage maybe upped a smidge but in its previous form it was just broken.

Its one of those things they probably should have thought of but most of the powers that did similar stuff of which there were many worked fine. The problem was from my understanding it was an aoe power which made it very easy when presented with a lot of targets to get it into a chain procing mode which went silly. I have seen logs of a serker doing this and one logged on the order of 20k damage in the first SECOND of the 9 second barage. I imagine the damage starts petering out as you brutally slay crap but looking at the logs you could see the rapid fire chain reaction of procing that occured.

This change they did actually effected probably about 30 or so skills total but for myself who have 2 of them I didn't notice any differance in combat output. Most powers that did this you simply could not get them to freak out for any lenght of time like the serker power did.

kaid
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:54:35 PM

They don't learn.  Something similar was possible with the warrior rampage ability in original EQ.  Granted, you needed an Earthshaker to do it (don't know if any other weapons would work as well), but the slaughter was amazing.

The Earthshaker proc'd an unlimited-target point-blank AE spell.  The damage wasn't that stellar for any single proc.  However, due to EQ's mechanics a sufficiently-slowed warrior was *guaranteed* to proc with it on any swing, and Rampage let warriors hit *every* mob in melee range at once.  So....build up a huge train of mobs, hit rampage, and get a proc for each and every mob in that train simultaneously, and affecting every mob.  Thousands of points of damage per mob; entire trains of 60 or more planes-level mobs dead at once.  Well, maybe one or two near-dead survivors, and possibly a dead warrior, but the results were well worth it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 07:29:37 AM

They don't learn.  Something similar was possible with the warrior rampage ability in original EQ.  Granted, you needed an Earthshaker to do it (don't know if any other weapons would work as well), but the slaughter was amazing.

The Earthshaker proc'd an unlimited-target point-blank AE spell.  The damage wasn't that stellar for any single proc.  However, due to EQ's mechanics a sufficiently-slowed warrior was *guaranteed* to proc with it on any swing, and Rampage let warriors hit *every* mob in melee range at once.  So....build up a huge train of mobs, hit rampage, and get a proc for each and every mob in that train simultaneously, and affecting every mob.  Thousands of points of damage per mob; entire trains of 60 or more planes-level mobs dead at once.  Well, maybe one or two near-dead survivors, and possibly a dead warrior, but the results were well worth it.

It was legendary - but pretty rare. 

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 08:15:17 AM

Yeah, the swords weren't at all common, but you'd still think the devs would have remembered the "Shaker-page" when they were putting together Berserkers.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 03:13:35 AM

Yeah, the swords weren't at all common, but you'd still think the devs would have remembered the "Shaker-page" when they were putting together Berserkers.
Developers learning from their mistakes ?

You must be kidding me.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Update #6 on Test - Excellent stuff.  
Jump to: