Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 08:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Son of a bitch! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Son of a bitch!  (Read 5172 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

on: April 15, 2004, 10:56:43 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/04/14/social.drinkers.reut/index.html">CNN story about drinking

Hmmm... 100 drinks a month... That's about 23 drinks per week...

I go out about twice a week and drink about 10 drinks each night I go out... I'll often have a glass of wine with dinner or a drink after work, so that's a couple more drinks each week....

Ahh crap I always joked about it but I guess I am retarded....
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:04:51 AM

People have known that binge drinking has been bad for you for a long time now - which is your 10/night.  This just shows that constant drinking can also affect you; that comes out to 3.3/night.  A healthy level is 2/night for men, at least in regards to the antioxidant bit.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 12:00:57 PM

You have 10 drinks a night twice a week and it never occured to you that it might be fucking really bad for you?

Wow.  I am speachless.  Are you still in college or something?  I knew some in college that drank that much, but they all wised up in under a year.  Usually just a few weeks/months.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 12:04:37 PM

I for one am glad that this study is just about you pansy social drinkers.  Us full blown alcoholics apparently have nothing to worry about.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 12:15:27 PM

During college (and for a year or so after I turned 21), I may have been in the >100 drink a month club. However, I don't think I ever went on a 3 year bender.

These days, I am lucky if I have 5 drinks a month. I have moved on to other activities for the most part. Every couple of months I get a hankering, go on a one night bender, spend the next day miserable, and remember why I quit doing to so often =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 12:26:43 PM

Nope not in college any more. I'm 28 so the college days are a few years behind me now.

I guess for me the drinks just add up over a few nights...

I play poker with friends most thursdays over at a friends house who is walking distance the next street over. Drinking that night ranges from 6-12 beers depending on how late we're up playing.

Fridays are usually "date night" with the fiancee. I dont like to drink 2 days in a row anymore so I don't drink and always drive if we do anything where she may want to have a few drinks.

Saturdays are friends night where we again go out drinking to the local bars (all walking distance) or spend it hanging out at someone's house which usually involves drinking as well.

Add in the glass of wine with dinner or the beer while I'm watching TV during the week and I would guess I usually range from 80-100 drinks per month. Not quite the retarded level all the time but close.

I'm guessing between size (6'2, 230lbs) and tolerance (10 years of drinking) 100 per month for me would still be in the acceptable non-retarded level. I just found the article amusing...
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 12:59:43 PM

I am on way's level.  I buy a sixpack and between my wife and I, we don't buy another for at least a month.  She likes red wine and has that instead sometimes so usually I drink 4-5 of the beers in the sixpack.

Other than that, maybe the occasional mixed drink... Less than 6 drinks a month though.  On my 'heavy drinking' months I might peak at 20.

I just have other vices.  Like ice cream.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 07:42:47 PM

I also have moved to WAP's level, and from where Im comming from, thats saying a lot.

A few years ago, it was 15+ beers a night, one or two pills of extacy, and about $40 worth of cocain.

That was probably 5 days week, and went on for about 6 months. Now im around 10 bears a month, and nothing else. Well, I still smoke cigs. I also cut out my $60 a day pot smoking.

I am very proud of the fact I managed to get sobar all on my own, with no programs, and no help. (just a lot of catassing).

My good friend is a drinker. Hes not a drunk, or party guy, but he can easilly drink 10 beers a night on the weekdays. I made sure to pass the link along to him.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 07:46:15 PM

So the moral of the story is MMORPG's are the best medicine?

On a related note, one of my dad's best friends lived with my family when we were younger and he was a complete drug addict, you name it he did it. I watched him go through rehab. Best education I ever got, scared me off of drugs forever.

EDIT: However, alcohol is good, mmmmk.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 09:19:48 PM

Quote from: schild

Not quite, my friend is known to take his nightshade out for some drunk RvR action.  When he next logs in, he gets to spend a good 5-10 minutes wondering where his character is, and how he got there.

Yes, he does have a bit of a problem.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:49:32 PM

Eh, there's brain damage and there's brain damage.  One neuron dead = brain damage...  not.  Honestly, you kill a few extra (on top of normal aging), the rest rewire themselves.

It's not like a lobotomy.

Your liver is in more danger than your brain, if you drink a lot.

I call bullshit on the "significantly impaired" bit, too.  

First, they didn't test the heavy drinker's IQ's years ago before they started drinking.  So they can't say "impaired" cause that's a term that implies you know what the "non-impaired" baseline is.  

And second, what's "significantly"?  The wording of the article makes it sound like these people are as disoriented as drunks, when sober.  Not the case.
HeartBurn

Email
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 04:55:29 AM

Someone spent money studying this shit?
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 07:00:00 AM

I also cut out my $60 a day pot smoking.

Dude, either you were getting ripped off or you have lungs of iron... Or is that an iron lung?

I was a daily smoker in college for about 3 years and there is no way someone could burn through $60 a day in reefer. Unless of course you were buying for yourself and 10 of your friends. There were about 5-6 of us that smoked every night while chilling out and we probably spend about $20-$30 between all of us...

Congrats on giving up (almost) everything. I'm pretty happy to say that I haven't smoked up in over a year now. Those days were fun but man was I lazy back then.

I do have to admit that those were the days when I was absolutely addicted to Age of Empires. Me and my roomate would smoke up and then go online and team up and play against 2 other people. Nothing more fun than trying to micro-manage in an RTS when you can barely think.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 08:03:43 AM

Quote from: daveNYC

Not quite, my friend is known to take his nightshade out for some drunk RvR action.  When he next logs in, he gets to spend a good 5-10 minutes wondering where his character is, and how he got there.

That's the geek's equivalent of Robin Williams' take on alcoholism.

"You aren't a drunk until you wake up naked in front of your car with your keys up your ass yelling, 'I THINK IT'S FLOODED!'"

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 09:07:41 AM

When I was 23 me and a two buddies went to a 4th of July beach party.  We brought a cooler with 3 cases of beer in it and started drinking around 1pm.  By 6 we were making a beer run (We three were the only ones who drank from our cooler) by 8 we had killed the additional case and a half we had just purchased.  Now true were very active during that day with swimming, surfing, football, frisbee, etc... but thats still ALOT of beer to drink in one session.

The good news is that after that I went home went to sleep, woke up the next morning and went jogging and haven't had more than 4 beers in a sitting since, more like 4 beers in a month for the last couple of years.

I guess that was a blow out moment for me, afterwards I just didn't feel the same about drinking.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 16, 2004, 09:23:44 AM

Well if we're going to share drinking stories I feel obligated to share my worst story...

My junior year of college I was a pretty heavy drinker and I got invited to be part of a team for a keg race. As the name implies the object is for your team to finish the keg first. Teams consisted of 10 people. Luckily our team lost 2 players that day so we started with 8 people and basically decided to give up before it ever started.

If I remember right there were 6 teams that competed. Our team ended up in dead last due to the numbers disadvantage. With a little help after it was over I think we killed our keg in about an hour and half. The winning team finished theirs in 32 minutes!!!

Yes, 10 people consumed 7.5 cases of beer in 32 minutes. It was a disgusting site as they would chug, puke, chug, puke, and on and on...

Needless to say as soon as we were done I took off ASAP since the smell in that backyard was awful. That was the last time I ever considered being part of a keg race as that was more extreme binging than I ever wanted to witness....
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 16, 2004, 09:31:18 AM

Quote from: UD_Delt
Yes, 10 people consumed 7.5 cases of beer in 32 minutes. It was a disgusting site as they would chug, puke, chug, puke, and on and on...

Aw c'mon!  That oughta be an automatic disqualification, you gotta keep it down till it's all over.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 16, 2004, 10:33:06 AM

I was gobsmacked by this thread until I remembered you were talking about American beer....
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 11:04:12 AM

Quote from: daveNYC

I remember hearing several stories of people waking up hungover after a night at the bars, then logging on to UO to find they were naked, red, statlossed, and in the middle of nowhere.  Heh.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Son of a bitch!  
Jump to: