Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth  (Read 3834 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 01, 2005, 06:33:39 AM

One review to rule them all.

(This review, by the way, was sent in by Jpark)

Edit: Proper credit and all that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:29:11 AM

You know you're a Tolkien fanboi if the mispelling of "Uruk-Hai" as "Ureki" makes you gnash your teeth.   undecided

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:05:46 PM

People still make RTS?

Unless it comes with downloadable units that are released as time goes on and a storyline campaign that is fought online I can't be bothered...  *sigh*  I miss TA, stupid cavedog I hope they burn in the hells of poverty for making TA:kingdoms...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:55:34 PM

Very unpleasant game, like so much "merchandising". Too much time spent on flashy graphics, which is trying to emulate the movie, and far too little on gameplay. For example the very first mission is moving the fellowship through moria. It looks great, but it's completely linear and your units are so powerful there's no real danger of losing. This includes Gandalfs battle with the Balrog where, through the complex tactics of engaging auto-attack and clicking on the specials as they refresh you can't lose. At which point gandalf runs off to catch up with the fellowship.. could have sworn it worked somewhat differently in the book.

The RTS component is a modern style "hyperactive" one and is as shallow as a puddle. The map determines where you can build (makes it easier to generate nice graphics), there's a small selection of what you can build, and the vast majority of the time is spent running troops all over the map. Several buildings generate infinite resources, which are ruthlessly merged into a single count, and many increase your speed of army production so you never have to wait before hurling another army into the field. Admittedly it was very nice playing mordor and the hobbits, who are like bargain basement hero's, would repeatedly do solo assaults on my besieging army and go down in a hail of sharp pointy death but even that got tedious fast.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth  
Jump to: