Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Go do your own police work. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Go do your own police work.  (Read 1401 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: March 31, 2005, 01:20:23 PM

Quote from: Scotsman
Shopkeeper 'Told to Do Own Police Work'

By Emma Gunby, PA

A shopkeeper subjected to a terrifying attempted robbery was told to do her own police work, it was claimed today.

Two police officers were caught on CCTV telling staff at the off licence in Liverpool to talk to the suspects themselves.

They were also told to watch video footage of the alleged attack and let the police know if it contained anything interesting.

Linda Currie, 49, who manages Libra Wines & Spirits, in Anfield, said: “I could not believe my ears when I heard what they were saying. I thought I was hearing things.

“There was basically no point in calling them out.”

Grahame Barker, assistant chief constable of Merseyside Police, said: “This is a serious complaint and is being dealt with as a matter of priority by the Professional Standards Department.

“In the meantime, a senior police officer will be revisiting the off-licence staff to ensure that we arrest those responsible.

“We are proud of the service we provide and any complaint about breaches of these standards will be vigorously and robustly investigated.”

In an extract from the CCTV, provided to the Liverpool Echo, Mrs Currie tells the police where she believes the suspect lives.

One of the officers responds: “If we were to go round he would just say no. He would probably tell you more than he will tell us.”

Ms Currie asks: “Do you want the (CCTV) tape?”

One of the police officers asks if he can watch it in the shop but is told there is no video recorder on the premises.

He says: “You take it home and have a look and let us know if there’s anything valuable on it.”

The incident took place at around 10.20pm last Tuesday when a male, accompanied by two other youths, entered the shop and demanded money before throwing himself at the reinforced glass, which shielded the workers.

As the glass shattered, staff pressed a panic button and the offender ran off.

Mrs Currie said: “The attack happened late at night with only two of us, both women, behind the counter.

“I was terrified, I called 999 and so did two other members of the public who witnessed what happened.

“We’ve had small incidents in the shop before with younger children but these were older, they were men, not boys.

“We caught the whole thing on CCTV, I just cannot understand why the police did not want to see it.

“I have lost all my faith in them.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Go do your own police work.  
Jump to: