Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Trying a league - looking to avoid total embarrassment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying a league - looking to avoid total embarrassment  (Read 6207 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: March 27, 2005, 02:06:32 PM

So I'm trying a Kami league.

After a bit of fiddling around I've been playing Green/Black/Blue deck, I've played a few games, and it seems to do well when I get enough spirits out in play, and arcane spells in hand, so that with splicing I can keep using soulless revival on the big spirits and soul shift on the smaller ones; but badly if the game doesn't get that far - which it usually doesn't.

1 Befoul
1 Waking Nightmare
1 Wicked Akuba
2 Soulless Revival
1 Horobi's Whisper
1 Sakura-Tribe Springcaller

1 Hinder
1 Thoughtbind
1 Jetting Glasskite
1 Shimmering Glasskite
1 Phantom Wings

1 Feral Deceiver
1 Orochi Leafcaller
1 Rootrunner
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Serpent Skin
1 Vine Kami
1 Forked-Branch Garami
1 Scaled Hulk
1 Traproot Kami
1 Vital Surge

[Other]
1 No-Dachi
1 Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho
5 Island
5 Swamp
6 Forest

Mana Curve : 2 7 6 5 1 2 1 0 0 0

My sideboard looks like this...

1 Myojin of Night's Reach
1 Rag Dealer
1 Villainous Ogre
1 Call for Blood
1 Crawling Filth
1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
1 Patron of the Nezumi

1 Callous Deceiver
1 Floating-Dream Zubera
1 Lifted by Clouds
1 Psychic Puppetry
1 Reach Through Mists
1 Soratami Mirror-Guard
1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
1 Ribbons of the Reikai
1 Toils of Night and Day

1 Matsu-Tribe Decoy
1 Orochi Ranger
1 Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
1 Child of Thorns

1 Akki Avalanchers
1 Akki Rockspeaker
1 Akki Underminer
1 Desperate Ritual
1 Devouring Rage
1 Hearth Kami
1 Ronin Houndmaster
1 Sideswipe
1 Yamabushi's Flame
1 Ashen Monstrosity
1 First Volley
1 Flames of the Blood Hand
1 Frostling
1 Ire of Kaminari
1 Shinka Gatekeeper

1 Candles' Glow
1 Cleanfall
1 Devoted Retainer
1 Kitsune Blademaster
1 Kitsune Diviner
1 Mothrider Samurai
1 Pious Kitsune
1 Vassal's Duty
1 Kami of Tattered Shoji
1 Kami of the Honored Dead
1 Moonlit Strider
1 Scour
1 Silverstorm Samurai
1 Takeno's Cavalry
1 Yomiji, Who Bars the Way

[Other]

1 Island
1 Nine-Ringed Bo
1 Swamp
2 Forest
6 Mountain
6 Plains

I'm thinking of swapping out the blue part of the deck - since the counter spells are usually too late, and the creatures - though flying, tend to be a little fragile.

Not sure what I would go with though - Red doesn't look great outside of the DD spells, adding more black would be an option, but that means quite a few slow spells, and most of my problems are vs fast decks rather than slow ones, maybe white?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 02:13:48 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:07:37 PM

Just briefly looking through, some of the cards you aren't using I like are the blue ninja, mirror guard (look a mini combo!), toils of night and day better than most counterspells.

Overall, I like your red and white better than the green and black.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Scribble
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:17:14 AM

I think you've got the right colours, but the mana base looks really really bad. Double black costs, double blue costs, double green costs, only sixteen lands and way too even distribution of the three colours. In sealed, you should look for an opportunity to only play two colours, possibly with a small splash of 1-3 cards of another colour. 17 land is the norm, but one often goes to 18, especially when playing three colours. Sometimes the card pool is so shallow that you have to violate these rules of thumb and hope to get lucky, but I don't think your cards here are quite that bad.

The problem with your pool is that it's on the thin side for playing just two colours, but none of your colours really lend themselves well to a splash.

I'd probably try this:

1 CC: Child of thorns
2 CC: Wicked akuba, sakura-tribe elder, orochi ranger, 2x soulless revival, no-dachi
3 CC: Matsu-tribe decoy, villainous ogre, waking nightmare, horobi's whisper, serpent skin, oathkeeper
4 CC: Sakura-tribe springcaller, Sachi, rootrunner, feral deceiver, befoul, okibo-gang shinibo (ninjutsu)
5 CC: Forked-branch garami
6 CC: Scaled hulk
7 CC: Patron of the nezumi, Vine kami

9 Swamp
8 Forest

If you wanted you could cut one or two of the more marginal cards to splash in some of the red removal, but to me it doesn't look worth it. The nine-ring bo is also worth some consideration, but probably belongs in the sideboard.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 04:03:32 AM

Thanks guys.

In the end I went 1-4 in my main league matches with the deck above, and a variation replacing blue with white. (Currently on 6,2 points after a few experimental tie-breakers)

As scribble suggested, I'm getting stuck around turns 4-7 with mana problems, my double colour glasskites, garami, counterspells, removal spells etc aren't reliably coming available, and if I'm still alive when they do, my opponent has usually developed further and they aren't much use.

Going to try straight up green/black tonight - though I'm a little worried about my vulnerability to flyers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:19:14 AM

Green/Black is kicking some ass now.

Mostly Green is providing fodder until the Patron and Myojin come available, and then they win the game.

Still vulnerable to flyers though - I'm dreadfully dependant on my Traproot Kami who I end up giving any artifacts or serpent skin if available just to slow down fliers.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 09:54:29 AM

I guess you just run short on removal against Skies decks?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 02:39:54 AM

Basically yes.

That and just dying to one or two silly cards (jitte, the wizard who can cast endless counterspells for
 etc).

Strazos

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 09:46:16 AM

Jitte is the bane of my pitiful MtG existance...

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "cheap" cards in my STD games, and by "cheap", i mean stuff with abilities that don't cause the card to tap, when it Really should.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 10:49:14 AM

Hm. Jitte. I still haven't had a problem with it when an opponent used it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Strazos

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 12:37:05 PM

Well, what sucks is that if they can get the Jitte onto the board and equipped, and you don't have control when you need it, it's going to rack up on the counters. And as I don't usually play with green fatties, a couple counters on a Jitte can be devastating.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 01:14:09 PM

I'm still in the jitte is overrated camp. But then all of my decks either destroy creatures, have huge creatures or have artifact hate. That said, any deck without one of those 3 shouldn't be played anyway.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 02:26:58 PM

In constructed I can see how you'd work around it assuming a bigger collection than, for example, mine.

In sealed competition with small pools, less so.

Of course, I'm still pretty rubbish at this, but I'm not seeing many limited games where either player has sufficient control of the board to prevent a jitte win.

I should highlight once again that could well be because I am still pretty rubbish at this game.

Strazos

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:35:07 PM

and you don't have control when you need it, it's going to rack up on the counters.

For clarity.

Fear the Backstab!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:17:47 PM

Hm. Jitte. I still haven't had a problem with it when an opponent used it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Honestly, if they are still pretty cheap go out and grab 4.  They are that good in the right deck.  White weenie, with Hikori the Dust Drinker (can only untap one land a turn) and Jitte is killer.  (Throw in Ghostly Prison to stop Rude Awake..) In cardboard, a buddy kicked me around for a few hours the other night.  If he resolved Jitte, I was done.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 03:29:20 AM

Wizards gave me a voucher worth 10 of your fine american dollars last night for reporting a bug.

1) It really doesn't matter that $10 is only worth tuppence halfpenny these days - free stuff always feels like it's worth more - so that sure as hell is going to make sure I keep reporting bugs.
2) It probably tells us something about the profit model on magic.
3) It's going to get spent (at least partly) on Jittes.

Strazos

Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 09:18:48 AM

$10 is Almost enough for a damn Mox.

I'm never getting any Mox.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Trying a league - looking to avoid total embarrassment  
Jump to: