Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Our Flag Means Death 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our Flag Means Death  (Read 1087 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: October 09, 2023, 09:12:06 AM

New season of this started recently. 

I'd tried watching it in S1 because a lot of people raved about it, but couldn't get into it.  Tried again about a week ago, and this time I got it. First episode or so felt like a slog to me at the time, but it's setting stuff up.

Anyway, new season is fun so far, glad I didn't have to wait a year and a half in between seasons like most people.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 10:56:41 AM

I liked but didn't love the first season; at some point I really wanted the captain to get a bit less clueless while remaining basically innocent because there's something slightly ugly about him playing with his men's lives and livelihood--it's almost within shouting distance of Marie Antoinette playing peasant in the cottage behind Versailles. But I'm good to try the 2nd season.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 12:09:14 PM

I liked but didn't love the first season; at some point I really wanted the captain to get a bit less clueless while remaining basically innocent because there's something slightly ugly about him playing with his men's lives and livelihood--it's almost within shouting distance of Marie Antoinette playing peasant in the cottage behind Versailles. But I'm good to try the 2nd season.

It's very clearly autism, and Ed has ADHD.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 07:01:18 AM

Stede's cluelessness and the resulting misery of his crew was kinda what turned me off on my first attempt to watch the series -- it was like "oh no, is the joke that he's a well-meaning idiot who wants to be a pirate but doesn't know how, ha ha ha how awkward/random, and that's the show?" because I could actually see millennials watching a whole show like that.  But the introduction of Ed and the gradual emergence of competence on Stede's part is what hooked me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 04:34:09 PM

Yeah, it just might be that I needed Stede to upskill a bit faster in a way that made him a more sympathetic person.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 08:20:33 AM

I felt like by the end of S1 he'd made a nice arc in terms of taking responsibility for his irresponsibility.   why so serious?

This week's episode has some fun guest stars, whom I won't spoil here, but I had to go look up the characters on Wikipedia to see if they were actually contemporaries of our main characters or if this was taking poetic license with people who'd actually lived many years apart, but no, all of these famous-ass people who've been immortalized in song for centuries were active at the same time.  Golden Age of Piracy indeed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Our Flag Means Death  
Jump to: