Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marathon  (Read 1295 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: May 27, 2023, 12:25:39 AM

Yeah, I'm old school Bungie. Marathon was the third FPS I'd played, following Doom and Pathways Into Darkness (Another Bungie joint and the only FPS on Macs at the time other than a watered-down Wolfenstein.) This new offering is an extraction shooter a-la Tarkov and the main reason Destiny PVP has been left rotting on the vine. From what I can gather from the stuff posted and the de rigueur ARGs that Bungie is known for, All of this new action takes place a hundred years after the games that started the series back in '94.

Do I like extraction shooters? Not particularly. But I'll give them a shot at changing my mind. Anything that furthers the story of the series that made me a gamer in earnest, I'm there for.

info and a trailer here...

https://www.marathonthegame.com

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 10:28:15 PM

That site is pretty cool/dope, whatever the slang is nowdays.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:57 AM

Yeah, I'm old school Bungie. Marathon was the third FPS I'd played, following Doom and Pathways Into Darkness (Another Bungie joint and the only FPS on Macs at the time other than a watered-down Wolfenstein.) This new offering is an extraction shooter a-la Tarkov and the main reason Destiny PVP has been left rotting on the vine. From what I can gather from the stuff posted and the de rigueur ARGs that Bungie is known for, All of this new action takes place a hundred years after the games that started the series back in '94.

Do I like extraction shooters? Not particularly. But I'll give them a shot at changing my mind. Anything that furthers the story of the series that made me a gamer in earnest, I'm there for.

info and a trailer here...

https://www.marathonthegame.com

Yep.  Got our hands on a beta copy in college, played a shit ton in Fall 1994 before it released at Christmas.  Only had "Mars Needs Women" as an online map and no single player campaign.  It really was the first modern FPS.  Full aim, no auto-aim.  Full Z-axis.  Physics that gave your character weight, and allowed ragdolling and whatnot.  Both "grenade jumping" and "rocket jumping" started here.  4 v 4 multiplayer over the campus Apple network with a bunch modes like King of the Hill and Kill the Carrier besides classic free for all/team slayer.

I was genuinely sad for both Leela and Durandal's (fake) deaths, and the story elements were fantastic.  Durandal was basically a more sympathetic GladOS years before portal....  and there is something nice about him bopping around with the player in deep freeze trying to figure out how he is going to sneak around the heat death of the universe.

Extraction shooter seems fine.  Unfortunately too much of Marathon's original DNA has been chopped and reused for subsequent Bungie projects, and modern storytelling doesn't have the patience to do anything that isn't in a few cut scenes.  Hunting down half corrupted journal entries by a Doctor who may or may not have been a fugitive from a prior Mars revolt and may or may not have intentionally or unintentionally got humanity noticed by the aliens, etc. 

Now when are we getting the Myth: The Fallen Lords reboot?  And just fucking pay Glen Cook to use the actual Black Company lore instead of changed just enough to be legally different.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 04:09:37 AM

It really was the first modern FPS.  Full aim, no auto-aim.  Full Z-axis.  Physics that gave your character weight, and allowed ragdolling and whatnot.  Both "grenade jumping" and "rocket jumping" started here.  4 v 4 multiplayer over the campus Apple network with a bunch modes like King of the Hill and Kill the Carrier besides classic free for all/team slayer.

You could always rocket jump in Doom. Not in true 3D though.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 06:45:16 AM

It really was the first modern FPS.  Full aim, no auto-aim.  Full Z-axis.  Physics that gave your character weight, and allowed ragdolling and whatnot.  Both "grenade jumping" and "rocket jumping" started here.  4 v 4 multiplayer over the campus Apple network with a bunch modes like King of the Hill and Kill the Carrier besides classic free for all/team slayer.

You could always rocket jump in Doom. Not in true 3D though.

You know, I didn't remember that.  Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_jumping

The "horizontal" rocket jumping now kind of sounds familiar but it has been a long time. 
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 08:10:22 AM

System Shock from 1994 (and the Ultima Underworlds from 92-93) always struck me as more technically advanced than Doom in most areas, as well. Full 3D movement (and maps), environmental interactions, precise mouse aiming, etc. It was using a very different philosophy than today's mouselook games (due to LGS' sim background), but still.

I've never owned a Mac, what's a decent way to play/emulate Marathon nowadays?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 09:58:44 AM

System Shock from 1994 (and the Ultima Underworlds from 92-93) always struck me as more technically advanced than Doom in most areas, as well. Full 3D movement (and maps), environmental interactions, precise mouse aiming, etc. It was using a very different philosophy than today's mouselook games (due to LGS' sim background), but still.

I've never owned a Mac, what's a decent way to play/emulate Marathon nowadays?

https://alephone.lhowon.org/

Open source continuation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marathon  
Jump to: