Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Silo (Apple) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silo (Apple)  (Read 1640 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: May 06, 2023, 05:26:47 PM

Just started.  Trailer.

I'm getting some annoying "mystery box" vibes from it that are making me wary, but I'm already hooked enough in spite of myself that I'm gonna be watching it every week even if by the end of it I'm complaining about every episode.

My wife said "it's gonna be really stupid if it turns out they're all dead and the silo is purgatory" and while we'd like to think that after Lost nobody will ever try to pull that shit again...   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 05:38:25 PM

Isn't this an adaptation of Hugh Howey's Wool? If so, you can cheat and find out what's really going on. The answers to the mystery are pretty decent and they're not altogether surprising.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 05:49:27 PM

Isn't this an adaptation of Hugh Howey's Wool?

Yes, it is.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 09:51:59 PM

Yeah, the book series started as a mystery box, but it’s all finished and the entire mystery revealed.  So you don’t have to worry about that all.  Your only concern is if it’s renewed all the way through to completion, and if you like the actual story the author came up with (provided the show runners don’t go to wild with changing things).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 10:42:08 PM

Yeah, the book series started as a mystery box, but it’s all finished and the entire mystery revealed.  So you don’t have to worry about that all.  Your only concern is if it’s renewed all the way through to completion, and if you like the actual story the author came up with (provided the show runners don’t go to wild with changing things).

Howey is involved in the production so any "going wild" would ostensibly be with his blessing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 07:44:31 PM

Liked the first two episodes quite a bit!  Certainly retelling the story in their own way instead of a very direct translation, but that's good in this case.  Wool was obviously just a random sci-fi short story Howey came up with, that he then started adding onto after that got popular, until it became a whole book series.  Starting from the get go knowing how everything goes means some rewrites are in order.

Story spoiler discussion:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 01:23:32 PM

That does sound lame Teleku. I'm gonna wait for a whole season before I jump in, but I loved the books so I'll certainly check it out at some point.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 11:25:00 PM

Heh, we’ll see.  Now I’m starting to think that might be a fake out in a way, but it’s all up in the air after the third episode.  It isn’t following the books strictly at all, but it’s also a good fun adaption so far.

-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 08:12:51 AM

Heh, we’ll see.  Now I’m starting to think that might be a fake out in a way, but it’s all up in the air after the third episode.  It isn’t following the books strictly at all, but it’s also a good fun adaption so far.

I mean, look which department the big named actor is in...

Enjoying this so far, with minor quibbles and one major yawn.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:48:05 AM by lamaros »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 11:29:23 AM

My takeaway from that episode was that the entire population of the silo should have died in the first ten years if the engineers who designed this place were actually that bad at their jobs.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 08:13:39 AM

I'm going with "Thats the Vault where Vault-Tec put all those tech bros that thought they were engineers into, so that the Vault-Tec engineers had something to laugh about" until I hear otherwise.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2023, 02:43:11 AM

Slow quickly becoming eh. What a shame.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 08:54:08 AM

Kind of the way I feel about the books, actually...the pacing slows and the characters get less interesting as they go on.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 10:08:59 AM

I'm still digging this adaptation of it, but yeah, they need to pick up the pace.  They're changing some stuff around in interesting ways, but need to meander less. 

Having said that, the main IT Dude (now Mayor) looks and acts exactly like several high ranking people in my section (government IT), so they nailed that down, heh.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Silo (Apple)  
Jump to: