Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Marvels 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Marvels  (Read 2771 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 16, 2024, 08:50:10 AM

The Kree in the comics, by the way, are a total mess in story-telling terms--we know a lot about them and yet they seem different every time they pop up. About the only consistent theme is that "we're at the end of our evolution, and the Supreme Intelligence is find a way out of the cul-de-sac". Sometimes the Kree are surpassingly powerful, other times they basically exist to get jobbed by some conquering power--other empires, Ultron, Annihilus, etc.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 01:42:02 AM

Same as the MCU then.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 20, 2024, 10:55:31 AM

Same as the MCU then.

I'm still not sure why Ronan was so strong.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 23, 2024, 06:52:48 PM

Yeah. Other than the plot needed him to be until it needed him not to be.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2024, 06:49:37 AM

He had the power gem.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: February 24, 2024, 09:58:13 AM

TBF, the Accusers were a very powerful group of judges in the Kree Empire in the comics. The "Ultimate Weapon" that all of them wield is pretty strong, and Ronan has always been able to stand toe-to-toe with some of the Marvel Universe's heavy hitters.

Unfortunately, the MCU really didn't have a clue what to do with the Kree Empire and the Accusers, so both of them were extremely nebulous in the movies. As much as I love GotG, what Ronan actually planned to do with the Power Gem is still a fucking mystery to me.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 26, 2024, 01:14:44 PM

Ronan can stand toe to toe until the plot needs him to get jobbed; that's pretty much his entire role, getting jobbed by superheroes, by the Inhumans, by the Annihilation Wave, by the Super-Skrull, by the Shi'ar, etc., usually while bellowing about his ultimate weapon and the mighty Kree. About the only badass things he's ever done are a) killing the Supreme Intelligence (didn't take) and b) killing one of Thanos' henchmen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 26, 2024, 05:52:08 PM

Kinda like the bad guy in this movie, stands toe to toe against the three marvels, one of whomst can reignite a god damn sun... and then gets taken out by a wall falling her.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 26, 2024, 06:58:41 PM

It's an interesting thing--about how to keep a bad guy as a threat as opposed to a kind of ritual punching bag that establishes a protagonist. To me the master class was letting the Richard Rider Nova character rip out Annihilus' innards--it came after a really hard fight, some unique circumstances, and a lot of character growth, so you absolutely bought it AND the bad guy still felt like a serious threat. As opposed to "oh wow look the newest whatever mutant whatever just took a shit on Galactus and he died, wow he's really strong."
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 26, 2024, 07:44:54 PM

It's an interesting thing--about how to keep a bad guy as a threat as opposed to a kind of ritual punching bag that establishes a protagonist. To me the master class was letting the Richard Rider Nova character rip out Annihilus' innards--it came after a really hard fight, some unique circumstances, and a lot of character growth, so you absolutely bought it AND the bad guy still felt like a serious threat. As opposed to "oh wow look the newest whatever mutant whatever just took a shit on Galactus and he died, wow he's really strong."

In fairness, this isn't limited to bad guys. Worf's role in Star Trek TNG after all was to get bitch slapped by whatever alien they needed to show was a threat.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: February 27, 2024, 09:39:38 PM

Ronan can stand toe to toe until the plot needs him to get jobbed; that's pretty much his entire role, getting jobbed by superheroes, by the Inhumans, by the Annihilation Wave, by the Super-Skrull, by the Shi'ar, etc., usually while bellowing about his ultimate weapon and the mighty Kree. About the only badass things he's ever done are a) killing the Supreme Intelligence (didn't take) and b) killing one of Thanos' henchmen.

Ronan doesn't really get jobbed though. The Guardians just end up target his weapon to blow the Power Gem out of it and then band together to use the Power Gem to destroy him. For a superhero climax it actually makes a reasonable amount of sense.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 29, 2024, 06:55:11 AM

I mean in the comics, where he has been repeatedly jobbed ever since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created him.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Marvels  
Jump to: