Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Wednesday 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wednesday  (Read 1109 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: December 08, 2022, 05:28:48 PM

This is rather good.

It's a deftly enough written monster mystery thing.

With a very good adolescent Wednesday Addams at the centre of it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 05:37:03 PM

It's fun, I didn't hate it. It's not groundbreaking for anything, but it scratches the absurdist itch.

--Dave (there are no living nihilists, just absurdists in denial)

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 10:54:45 PM

I agree with the "rather good" assessment.  Much better than it had any right to be. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:21:38 PM

Jenna Ortega is fucking spectacular. She elevated the shit out of this.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 06:57:16 AM

It's a good thing the show is about Wednesday and not the whole family because she is the only one that nails the role. Catherine Zeta Jones and Luis Guzman nail the look of the characters but neither of them felt like they should, and Fred Armisen is always just Fred Armisen... which is great since Fred Armisen rocks but not when you are playing such a specific character. I thought the roommate was going to be super annoying, but she was actually great.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 07:05:47 AM

Wife wanted to watch this and got thru the first episode earlier this week. Thought it was crap and the wife loved it. That said, reading reviews put this show into perspective. I watched it with the movies in my head with a more adult orientation; however watching the second episode from the perspective of a teen drama geared to younger teens made it way more bearable.

Not my thing, but the show is more enjoyable with this in mind.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 08:28:48 AM

It's a good thing the show is about Wednesday and not the whole family because she is the only one that nails the role. Catherine Zeta Jones and Luis Guzman nail the look of the characters but neither of them felt like they should, and Fred Armisen is always just Fred Armisen... which is great since Fred Armisen rocks but not when you are playing such a specific character. I thought the roommate was going to be super annoying, but she was actually great.

I actually thought Catherine Zeta Jones was pretty good as Morticia. She's not Angelica Huston but that's an impossible bar. Luis Guzman was easily the weakest part of the show for me. He's one of those actors that just never feels convincing in anything I see him in though this was, for me, his best performance. But still not up to par. It wasn't distractingly bad at least.

But..wow. Jenna Ortega and Emma Myers. I was blown away. Jenna Ortega had an almost impossible task. Make a character thoroughly owned by a prior actress into her own and she did it. And made it look easy. And Emma? Enid Sinclair could have easily been a character so bad you'd grit your teeth everytime she's on screen. Instead she's easily my second favorite character in the show and I count myself as Wenclair shipper after having watched the series.

Looking forward to Season 2. I loved this show though I also gravitate towards this kind of quirky dark show, I blame Twin Peaks for my lifelong obsession with this kind of content.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 08:42:03 AM

and I count myself as Wenclair shipper after having watched the series.

Booo... Enid is like a cute little puppy that needs constant love and affection, Wednesday would be an absolutely horrible partner for her. Hell, she was actually a pretty shitty friend that didn't even really earn their reconciliation.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 09:23:29 AM

I don't think there is any current character that it would make sense to couple with Wednesday.

They all have proper reason for proper sensible grown up friendships which a romantic relationship would undermine.

As for the adults, especially Morticia and Gomez, I think the key is that we were getting Wednesday's PoV on them. I liked that the writing and performances were laser focussed on how these characters related to Wednesday and didn't turn it into an Addams Family show.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 03:02:23 PM

I actually thought Catherine Zeta Jones was pretty good as Morticia. She's not Angelica Huston but that's an impossible bar. Luis Guzman was easily the weakest part of the show for me. He's one of those actors that just never feels convincing in anything I see him in though this was, for me, his best performance. But still not up to par. It wasn't distractingly bad at least.

As much as Catherine had big shoes to fill, I don't think anyone could fill Raul Julia's as Gomez. Luis was interesting though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 11:42:41 PM

and I count myself as Wenclair shipper after having watched the series.

Booo... Enid is like a cute little puppy that needs constant love and affection, Wednesday would be an absolutely horrible partner for her. Hell, she was actually a pretty shitty friend that didn't even really earn their reconciliation.

I'm not 100% serious on the shipping thing honestly. I think they had the best chemistry in the whole show though, hands down. All you say is true, in real life. In TV? Anything goes!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 07:16:18 PM

Fan.Fucking.Tastic.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 02:46:32 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm looking forward to Season 2

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Wednesday  
Jump to: