Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+)  (Read 1361 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

on: November 26, 2022, 06:24:01 PM

This is way too much fun. Meta for both Marvel and holiday specials, but not up its own ass about it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 09:11:00 PM

Written and directed by James Gunn. GoTG3 and then back to DC I guess, which is a shame as I still hold that GoTG was the film that got MCU out of the shitfest of taking itself too seriously.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:48:16 PM

At no point did I ever get the impression that that MCU took itself too seriously.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 11:29:09 PM

Soundtrack once again is amazing. He got the Old ‘97s to do Christmas songs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 11:58:58 PM

At no point did I ever get the impression that that MCU took itself too seriously.

Idk. A bunch of the not so great movies rub up against this issue. Thor 2, cap2, im2, most of the 2s come to think of it, also the Kung Fu one last year, eternals, captain marvel.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 12:45:28 AM

Idk. A bunch of the not so great movies rub up against this issue. Thor 2, cap2, im2, most of the 2s come to think of it, also the Kung Fu one last year, eternals, captain marvel.

Cap 2 (i.e. Winter Soldier) kinda needed to be that way though and is one of (if not the) best movies in that whole Phase.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 01:51:43 AM

Yeah, Cap 2 did a good job of branching out from the Marvel genre of the time and showing that they could start, for lack of a better analogy, do their MCU paint by numbers using the same palette in a different colouring book (making it a thriller). I don't think any of the other MCU films at the time had really attempted anything different like that.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 03:05:09 AM

I've never understood the cap2 love.

Or why people call it a thriller with a straight face.

I think the degree to which that film was just a by the numbers marvel film, but this time completely deadpan, was the point we stopped regularly going to the cinema for MCU stuff. (Though admittedly the elevator bit was still pretty great)

Lots of people agree with you all, but the first captain America movie was much better. As was civil war (apart from the really silly airport scene).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:07:20 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 07:21:24 AM

Winter soldier is mediocre to me.

But the mcu never took itself seriously. That's what made the Netflix stuff and the entire dc universe such trash.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 11:53:35 AM

I mean as a whole, the MCU started off with Iron Man which had serious bits, but by no means did it take itself too seriously. Like the only phase 1 movie that maybe took itself too seriously was Incredible Hulk.

Even Cap 2 which you mention allows for a good amount of levity with a lot of the interplay between Cap and Black Widow and also Cap and Falcon. Also you clearly didn't watch the same Shang-Chi that I did if you thought it took itself too seriously. It had Awkwafina and Fake Mandarin as its supporting cast. It had a cage match between Wong and Abomination.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 12:40:42 PM

Oddly enough, Akwafina was one of the better parts of Shang-Chi IMO. As for Winter Soldier, still rate this as one of my favorite MCU movies. I don't understand how anyone could think First Avenger was better than Winter Soldier.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 04:11:33 PM

Ha! Thanks for calling that out - I haven't watched yet and didn't realize they were in it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 10:54:03 PM

Oddly enough, Akwafina was one of the better parts of Shang-Chi IMO. As for Winter Soldier, still rate this as one of my favorite MCU movies. I don't understand how anyone could think First Avenger was better than Winter Soldier.

I like First Avenger a lot, but I think Cap as we know him in the MCU isn't really established until Winter Soldier. Obviously there's some a lot of foundation there in First Avenger, but then feel like Whedon didn't entirely know what to do with him in Avengers (doesn't help that they gave him kind of a shitty costume too).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 03:32:55 AM

I mean as a whole, the MCU started off with Iron Man which had serious bits, but by no means did it take itself too seriously. Like the only phase 1 movie that maybe took itself too seriously was Incredible Hulk.

Even Cap 2 which you mention allows for a good amount of levity with a lot of the interplay between Cap and Black Widow and also Cap and Falcon. Also you clearly didn't watch the same Shang-Chi that I did if you thought it took itself too seriously. It had Awkwafina and Fake Mandarin as its supporting cast. It had a cage match between Wong and Abomination.

For me Shang chi fell apart when they got to the Michelle Yeoh village and tried to do idk what. If the final act was more like the rest of the film I'd agree. And like it more.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 04:25:15 PM

It's SO dumb but the fact that Draxx cousin was killed by a fucking Gobot made me laugh harder than anything else has in the MCU.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 06:46:14 AM

I completely disagree. I kept wanting to fast forward through the musical parts.

I liked where they were going with the idea, but this thing was a mess.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 10:29:14 PM

It's SO dumb but the fact that Draxx cousin was killed by a fucking Gobot made me laugh harder than anything else has in the MCU.
I said, out loud, "gobots are canon now."

I did not laugh.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 10:27:29 AM

I just started laughing again when i read "gobots are canon now".

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+)  
Jump to: