Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Peripheral (Amazon Prime) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peripheral (Amazon Prime)  (Read 1457 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: November 12, 2022, 06:06:22 PM

Based on the Gibson novel(s).

Deviates enough from the book to engage you but stays close enough to keep you from tuning out.

Chloë Grace Moretz kills in this.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 10:23:59 PM

I fucking hated the book, and I'm a Gibson fan. The changes they've made to the series are good for the most part, and the actors really help to give life to what Gibson's sparse and jargon-saturated prose do not. I do think the ending of the latest episode was really weak and Hollywood, though. It felt completely unnecessary, like they were trying to go for 1980's action movie one-liner.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 12:44:59 PM

This show is still good, but it's starting to pad the runtime out with way too many TV bullshit tropes. The fight scene with the peripheral maker, while decent, was just unnecessary and felt out of place. Overall, I'm still digging it but they might be padding a little too much to try to stretch this out to another season.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 01:51:47 PM

I’m really hoping if it goes to a season two, they wrap up and Jump to Agency.

The Lowbeer introduction could have been at least an episode earlier too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 04:55:38 PM

According to Wikipedia, there's 2 episodes left this season, and there is already a second season in development. I never read The Agency because of how viscerally I hated this book, but I'd be perfectly fine with more of this series.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 05:47:17 PM

I’ll admit the series took a lot of the shit I hated out of the books which is one of the reasons i’m so big on it. That’s why i’m hoping it jumps to Agency because it’s a bit of a slog too.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 11:38:50 PM

I've liked it so far but the major driving plot seems to be stalled/meandering a bit in favor of set pieces (mostly good, some pointless).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 06:57:39 PM

Yes, the set pieces are a little overdone but you have to admit, “it’s a doodad, you arrogant piece of shit” is a great fucking line.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 09:53:07 PM

The set pieces they insist on in every episode can be a bit much. It's the one part that feels really like "this is what TV shows do to pad the runtime." Which is completely unnecessary on a streaming platform, IMO, but some shows handle it better than others. I'd much prefer if they skip the training tower montage in favor of more salient action pieces like the doctor's office and the last scene at Pickett's.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 11:30:11 AM

Hm, that seemed unduly rushed and somewhat nonsensical.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 09:14:12 PM

Yeah, I spent a lot of that episode going "Wut?" It had a lot of "timey wimey" stink on it. They clearly felt like they were going to get renewed, so were more interested in setting up season 2 than in wrapping up literally any storyline. They also well and truly diverged from the book enough that it is a completely new thing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 11:25:07 PM

Yeah, that ending was... something.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 07:26:40 AM

I already had SOMA vibes once we found out what the peripherals were, but I didn't expect them to go with the SOMA ending.  Overall I liked it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 05:56:29 PM

Only a few episodes in and I'm liking it so far. I haven't read the source, so I have nothing to compare to.

However, this damn setting is triggering my accent mimcry. I'm starting to sound like Huckleberry Hound.

-Rasix
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 10:08:47 PM

Only a few episodes in and I'm liking it so far. I haven't read the source, so I have nothing to compare to.

Same here. I'm at episode 6 now. I thought I'd read all the Gibson novels, but it turns out I put this one on my shelf and never opened it. It's great to be watching a Gibson work done quite well on TV.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 01:55:08 PM

Yeah, I spent a lot of that episode going "Wut?" It had a lot of "timey wimey" stink on it. They clearly felt like they were going to get renewed, so were more interested in setting up season 2 than in wrapping up literally any storyline. They also well and truly diverged from the book enough that it is a completely new thing.

Yeah, I enjoyed this but the ending smacks of Westworld type vibes for Season 2 & on.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 06:03:21 PM

I loved this overall, but the ending was very...odd. Unlike others, I loved the book (the 2nd, not as much), so I am interested to see where they go from here.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 05:11:26 PM

watch this

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Peripheral (Amazon Prime)  
Jump to: