Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prey (Predator movie) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prey (Predator movie)  (Read 4701 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: August 01, 2022, 01:50:17 PM

Trailer

Coming to Hulu on Aug. 5th.

We've discussed this over on the Discord, but some of you here may not be aware that there is a new Predator movie coming to Hulu on Friday, partly because they don't use Predator in the title. Early buzz on this has been very positive, so I'm optimistic here.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 10:35:03 PM

Looks much better than any Predator movie has since the Aiden Quinn one done by Robert Rodriguez. It looks a damn sight better than that shittastic one they did a few years ago with Olivia Munn.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 11:13:54 AM

This was pretty awesome.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 03:21:50 PM

I'm going to watch this tonight and for the first time this century I have hopes a Predator movie might actually be good.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 07:31:38 PM

Yep, this is the good stuff.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 07:42:56 PM

Best one since the first one.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 04:27:50 AM

Very impressed with this. It just channeled enough of the original film without overdoing it. It's refreshing to see a film that just tells a story well. It wasn't overdone in the gore stakes either - it was there, but didn't need the shock tactics that seem to have become the norm. Definitely better than anything I've seen recently.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 06:13:35 AM

I think I liked it more than the first one, but not more than the second one.

I don't think we can make movies like predator 2 (or teenage mutant ninja turtles 1990) anymore. But we can clearly make movies like predator.

My only complaints were a single line of dialogue and the fact it was shot entirely digital.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 07:14:46 AM

I think I liked it more than the first one, but not more than the second one.

There has been a lot of besmirching of the second movie lately, which was really good.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 07:50:38 AM

Anyone knocking predator 2 is an idiot.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 08:53:42 AM

This was really good. The best Predator movie since the original and I'm tempted to say I like it more than the original. I liked the Easter egg it had related to the now 3rd best movie in the franchise.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 11:21:22 AM

This was really good. The best Predator movie since the original and I'm tempted to say I like it more than the original. I liked the Easter egg it had related to the now 3rd best movie in the franchise.

Is it really an Easter Egg if it's straight up lore-building? It tells us the predators come back and win it from her/them at some point and is a direct line to Predator 2.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 12:09:30 PM

They kinda show it during the credits in the drawings.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 06:43:20 PM

The credits minimized and I turned them off, so that's fuckin annoying.

Edit: Went back and watched it, yeah, I mean, it's the obvious story.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 07:20:16 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 07:28:16 PM

Anyway, ok, so since they've decided Predator: 1718 is no longer canon (the dark horse comic that went WAY the fuck out of the way to explain the gun in Predator 2), we've got an entirely reworked but WAY MORE SANE framework for Predator moving forward which is:

1) Predator comes to planet with life (in this case Earth) and just starts killing anything that's above the bottom of the food chain. Wolves, Bears, whatever. What's at the top? That's the question they're trying to answer.
2) Oh, they found it, it's humans.
3) Human wins.
4) Predators consider Earth a suitable hunting ground for future coming of age rites.
5) The cycle of physical trophies of that planet begins with the gun she takes off the white man, which she uses to shoot the Ur-Predator in the fuckin head (possibly the best moment in the entire franchise?)
6) The predators return at a later date, or - as per Predator 2 - were already "within range."

I'd love to get a direct sequel to Prey and have the entire franchise be about the Adolini pistol, but whatever. Just give me more.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 07:24:00 AM

Is it really an Easter Egg if it's straight up lore-building? It tells us the predators come back and win it from her/them at some point and is a direct line to Predator 2.

I called it an Easter Egg because while it is lore building for nerds who recognize it, your average movie goer will go "that's neat, she used that pistol and gave it to the tribe." It's pretty much the definition of an Easter Egg. That said, I do think between it and the post credits we have reason to worry about Naru and her tribe's future.

I'm kind of pissed this didn't get a theatrical release and all because of Disney being petty. This really deserved to get attention as it is a very good movie and deserves a sequel.

schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 09:07:22 AM

It's getting several sequels. In one of the interviews Trachtenberg or somebody said they had 3 more ready/planned.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 12:34:28 PM

You can make a good Predator movie in any historical period. Predator Downton Abbey is gonna be my favorite.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 01:23:07 PM

I don't want to see a predator in the 50s.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 12:06:07 AM

70s Predator the musical! Flares, open shirt and murdering its way through the human population to the tune of Staying Alive... still works!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:15 AM

No
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 07:53:15 PM

1944 Predator dropped into Nazi Germany, but the Predator wins. By a lot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 09:23:10 PM

Would never find a fair fight.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 06:02:55 AM

Predator in Russia, during any point in their history.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 06:08:42 AM

It's not really mentioned much but they supposedly only hunt in hot climates. Second movie was probably the sweatiest movie ever.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 06:56:26 AM

1944 Predator dropped into Nazi Germany, but the Predator wins. By a lot.

As much as you're joking here a WW2 Predator movie could be awesome. Something like an allied team parachutes in behind the lines and keeps finding dead Nazi bodies. At first they think it's the resistance or something but they quickly find out there is something out there hunting both sides.

Of course, now I'm picturing something akin to Overlord but with the Predator. Bonus if they throw in Nazi mad scientists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4530422/

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 07:19:28 AM

Make it an AVP movie where the mad Nazi scientist Doktor Waylundt has created xenomorphs in his lab and the Allies need to team up with the Predator to defeat them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 09:26:53 AM

It's not really mentioned much but they supposedly only hunt in hot climates. Second movie was probably the sweatiest movie ever.

Avp says otherwise, they literally built the temple in the Arctic
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2022, 11:25:55 AM

Avp says otherwise, they literally built the temple in the Arctic

Yeah but that's also in the bottom 3 movies of both franchises combined.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: August 10, 2022, 12:15:33 PM

Depending on how old the temple was supposed to be, the continents might have been in a different position when it was built.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: August 10, 2022, 12:23:15 PM

Depending on how old the temple was supposed to be, the continents might have been in a different position when it was built.

I legit think it's remote location was explained in one of the two movies.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 12:46:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_n8zLA_dJg I'll trust the original over AVP.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 01:48:28 PM

Yeah, that's a good point.  Both of the original movies established the Predators only show up when it's particularly hot as balls out (presumably because that's what they're naturally adapted to).  So I guess that's a ding against this one on lore, but oh well whatever.

Also the fact that the hunters decided they needed to go on and hunt a mountain lion at night bugged me a bit.  Pretty sure the standard practice in pre industrial era was to avoid hunting the giant ass predator at night where it has all the advantages.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 02:56:48 PM

In both cases it simply happened to be the case against humans. That's when these things were logged, lore wise. Results based history.

That's probably not the environment in which you want to fight xenomorphs.

Especially if you're breeding them and holding a queen hostage on a planet where they'd wipe everything else out.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #34 on: August 10, 2022, 04:06:50 PM

I'm pretending like the AvP movies never happened, and you can't stop me. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prey (Predator movie)  
Jump to: