Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever  (Read 4976 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 08, 2023, 02:42:42 PM

Supersuits make a lot more sense than stupid laser spears, Wakanda is supposed to be the strongest nation on earth and it should be more than the Black Panther and Dora Milaje carrying all the weight.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 11, 2023, 12:24:56 PM

The first Black Panther seemed oddly not at all African to me. It felt like it was about African Americans.

This seemed to be making a real effort not to do that. But the score doesn't help, it keeps suggesting it is going to be African for a bit but then veers back to Hans Zimmer.

And maybe that's my view of the whole film. It keeps implying it is about to do something in a new way, and giving us another 10 minutes of explanatory dialogue to raise expectations. But then veers sharply back to the plot of Black Panther 1.

Great cast though.

Lupita Nyong'o is so hot it's distracting.

Holy shit yes.

But again, MCU super spy telling us she wants a different life and she's not like everyone else, who nonetheless spends the 3rd act stood amongst the nameless soldiers doing exactly the same thing as everyone else.

Film couldn't cash the cheques it's characters were writing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 11, 2023, 03:17:47 PM

A lot of folks in continental Africa loved Black Panther.

I am gonna say that it is what a diasporic Black person's revision of a white person's fantasy about the secret utopian city at the heart of Africa looks like. Which is not uncomplicated especially for folks living in African states today but is not an unwelcome fantasy.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 05:13:22 PM

Sure, and it isn't like there are a whole bunch of other international movies trying to do it better.

And the MCU does this with everything anyway.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: February 11, 2023, 09:32:50 PM

Goddamn, the pacing in this movie was an absolute trainwreck. I don't think it should have been shorter, I think it should have been a 6-10 episode TV series so that we could have room for some/one/ANY of the storylines or characters to develop. It was almost 3 hours, but felt like a breakneck train ride over a flat plain at 200 mph, all the while wanting to stop and actually see something for more than 2 seconds.

I liked Namor, the actor and especially the shift in character background that they took with the Atlanteans. I'd have liked to get some of the palace intrigue that is the entire reason you bring a character like Attuma along. Instead, Attuma is just the big dude that likes to fight instead of a surface-hating warmonger who wants the throne for himself so that he can conquer. There are hints of that intrigue at the end with the conversation between Namor and Namora, but just not enough.

Riri Williams as Ironheart is great when she is actually given any screen time, which is not nearly often enough. As a matter of fact, I really wanted more screen time for all the characters except for Shuri. Maybe it's the anti-vaxxer thing or the way she's sidestepping that controversy, but I feel like the actress and character work better as a side character and not the focus. I'd have rather seen Lupita Nyong'o as Black Panther, even though that would probably make no sense, but that also may be because she is unbelievably gorgeous and I am a pig. I'm not super excited for new Panther movies with Shuri as the lead, but if it keeps Mbuku in the frame, I'll take it.

Martin Freeman's character felt like he was only there because 1) he was in the first one, and 2) they needed some reason to have Val in this one as a linkage to Thunderbolts. He's essentially a fugitive traitor now, probably an exile in Wakanda forever (TITLE DROP, BOOM!)

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #40 on: February 12, 2023, 01:17:00 AM

An hour too long, or 6 hours too short, is probably the best take. It was a Disney+ series over compressed.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: February 12, 2023, 09:24:29 AM

It had the same problem Eternals did - trying to tell too many characters stories in too little time. Both would have worked better as series, if these were the stories they wanted to tell.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 13, 2023, 06:15:56 AM

I think this worked fine as a film; it just needed a tighter edit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 13, 2023, 12:43:57 PM

The plot is almost exactly the same as the previous film.

So it plainly didn't need to be a TV show.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 20, 2023, 11:38:54 AM

I can't remember the last time I fell asleep during a movie. This was it. Actually, now I do remember, it was Eternals. Wakanda just tried to do too much, and it was just too much effort to enjoy.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever  
Jump to: