Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever  (Read 5022 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: July 23, 2022, 11:33:34 PM

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 04:31:35 AM

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. Visually it looks fantastic

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 09:22:43 AM

Yeah, looks really good. I like the design work on the Atlanteans.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 11:47:12 AM

I'm kind of nervous about this one there is a lot of hard stuff to do.

Adressing the death of Boseman without it being sentimental amd dominating the film is hard. Wakanda is already hard to get right. Altantis is hard. Then having a conflixt between the two that the 'normal' world is presumably not heavily involved in, also hard.

Real danger it has some of the problems 7 rings and eternals had and by the end it turns into high fantasy bullshit with no connection to reality.

Lools pretty though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 02:09:29 PM

If they set up Atlantis as yet another society that has been hiding and developing and has a beef with the world, then there's a really interesting question of "what happens when two superpowerful societies that have some real gripes with the rise of Western Europe exist". It'll be interesting if the gimmick here is that the usual "powers-that-be" are trying to manipulate Atlantis and Wakanda into war with one another with the goal of taking them off the board, and that's what the Black Panther and allies have to try and stop. I almost had the sense that there's a new character being introduced who will be half-Atlantean, half-Wakandan? If so, she might be the Panther, who ends up in a classic "person of two worlds" dilemma.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 03:39:38 PM

It's possible they are saying Namor's mother was Wakandan - at least that's an impression I got from that trailer. It's a gorgeous trailer and hits me right in the feelz.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 05:08:02 PM

Now THAT would make so much great sense, compared to the comic-book original, where Princess Fen gets sent to see who these strange American Navy guys are (like, come on, the US Navy was not a big part of Antarctic exploration anyway) and thinks instantly that the American commander is so sexy sexy that she jumps on him and has a baby almost instantly. Namor's origin has been crying out for some serious reconstruction for a long time (I dunno, maybe they've already done that in the regular comics...)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 07:24:44 PM

Woman mates with fish man (or vice versa) really has made much damn sense.  why so serious?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 07:40:23 PM

It wins you Oscars.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 09:42:21 PM

Looks like there was an Ironheart hint in there too.

Edit: Yeah, that was definitely Ironheart.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:46:40 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 06:51:06 AM

Wake me up when we get to Ironspleen.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 08:36:16 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 08:48:30 AM

This looks amazing, hope it lives up to the trailers.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 08:54:37 AM

I somehow missed before that the bad guy was Mr. Nimbus, or whatever the MCU version of him is called.  Seems like it should be entertaining.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 06:42:16 PM

This is definitely a will-watch-movie based on the first, but I really feel like I need to watch an explainer video to get the gist of wtf was even going on in these trailers.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 07:03:15 PM

The kind of ballsy thing they're doing is setting this up as a clash between Latinos and Africans. Much as Wakanda was a kind of Afrocentrist-Afrofuturist dream brought to life, they're going to make the underwater kingdom out to be a sort of Atzlan, a lost or hidden Mesoamerican realm. To me that makes it a given that if they have a conflict it's going to be something they're manipulated into doing, and that the bridge to peace is going to be through some sort of literal Afro-Latino connection, e.g., characters who are mixed-race. I wouldn't be that surprised if the Panther is a new half-underwater, half-Wakandan woman while Namor is also half-Wakandan, half-underwater.

It will be interesting to see if the folks setting the conflict up also have a superpowered ally in the wings; I can't really think of a character who fits the bill. Maybe a reconceptualized Attuma. Or maybe Namor will just be the bad guy, period.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 07:07:40 PM

Shuri is almost certainly the new Black Panther.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 07:38:06 PM

First of all, wrong forum, good job Soulflame.

Second, I do agree, new panther is most likely a woman, and good odds it's Shuri.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2022, 04:43:44 AM

I wonder about it being Shuri, but who knows.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2022, 05:20:27 AM

There is an off chance its Nakia since the Shuri actress has gone insane.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 07:43:30 AM

Shuri is front and center and the largest person on the Wakandan side of the movie poster. The new Black Panther mask in the trailer* and stills also has the same white ceremonial face markings that Shuri has, at times, in the movies.

* the markings on the mask in the poster are a bit different than the trailer / stills ones

There is an off chance its Nakia since the Shuri actress has gone insane.
She deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts. Presumably Disney gave her an ultimatum — shut the fuck up if you want to be in 3rd movie (it was probably too late to replace her in this one).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 07:49:31 AM

I feel like some degree of fakeout/mystery about who the new Panther is will be maintained until the movie comes out, if they can. It's not beyond possiblity to think that Shuri tinkers with the Panther suit for someone else and puts her marks on it as a way of "signing her work"; that the shot in the trailer is Shuri testing a suit that someone else will wear; that Shuri and Nakia end up having to fight for the role as in the first film and both of them get to wear Panther suits; etc.

It would be a good thing to play around with, I think, given the intense interest people have about who gets to be the Panther from this point onward. Heck, maybe they follow a bit of what Ta-Nehisi Coates was doing in the comics and ask "Why exactly IS Wakanda a monarchy and why exactly IS the Panther just one person? Seems kind of elitist for a supposedly utopian society..." and form up a new Panther Corps that includes all the War Dogs and Shuri too.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 09:55:05 AM

Given my dislike of Marvel movies because of reasons (not really a comics person and never got the humor/action mix), I actually really enjoyed the first Black Panther and this looks actually better than that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 07:35:46 PM

This will be the first movie I brave the theaters for since the Pandemic.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 06:58:45 PM

This will be the first movie I brave the theaters for since the Pandemic.

i saw strange 2, total fuckin mistake

i plan on seeing Tar and The Menu. I will not waste a rare trip on an MCU movie before Kang is prominent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 11:24:58 AM

So obviously, having to do a sequel without Chadwick was an impossible task. There's just no way around that. As a story, 2.5+ hours of tension between Namor and Wakanda was just never going to make up for what was lost. The plot just doesn't really carry a movie of that length.

That said, the entire cast is fantastic. Letitia Wright stepped up, Angela Bassett, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira, and Lupita Nyong'o are unsurprisingly all great. Tenoch Huerta was a good Namor, Dominique Thorne is a lot of fun as Riri and I'm looking forward to the Ironheart series even more now. This cast is the reason to watch the movie. They're what carries it.

Also, I'm incredibly glad that they didn't try to do any CGI or unused footage nonsense. The only time we see Boseman is during flashback montages. In particular I was worried that they'd maybe do some ancestral plane stuff with some footage of him, but they smartly avoid it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 02:27:24 PM

I wonder if Letitia Wright has had to sign some kind of "I promise to shut up now" contract.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2022, 02:45:49 PM

I think publicly she only pushed the anti-vax stuff with one video she linked and then later deleted. Since then she's generally dodged questions regarding vaccination.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 06:24:45 PM

Lupita Nyong'o is so hot it's distracting.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 07:29:29 PM

Yeah. Yeah, I'll agree with that. She always looks great, but she was just on another level in this.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 03:17:28 PM

Yeah. Yeah, I'll agree with that. She always looks great, but she was just on another level in this.

My wife kept saying "yes" when M'Baku showed up and I kept saying "jesus" when Nakia was on screen  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I really liked the first 2 acts of this movie. That was a solid A with maybe some points taken away from Namors motivation. Riri has a lot of charm for a character in the tweeny avengers camp and the movie is hard carried by the emotions in involved. It was well done. Until the third act and the cracks in the foundation fell through and all that's left is nonsense. As tribute to Chadwick Boseman this was excellent. As possible the last Black Panther movie we're going to see in 10 years? Hmm... disappointing. So B overall.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 05:29:35 AM

didn't feel like a super hero movie or an action movie and its not nearly smart enough or interesting enough to be neither of those things. i may have gone in with too high expectations, first movie in 2+ years etc but while it certainly wasn't bad, there were no jolts of "oh yeah here we go" adrenaline or anything to get really amped for. my feeling leaving the theater was "that was ok, but i probably would have had more fun w/ those almost 4hrs playing video games or watching football".

an ironheart anything is the last thing i want after this btw jfc.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:36:22 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: February 08, 2023, 11:25:12 AM

This would've been a great 1 hour movie. Even watching it over two nights, I kept thinking 'filler' at so many points.

That said, I dig what they did with Namor. Cool spin on it, since the original was kind of bland anyway.

But by the end when everyone had a god-level supersuit my eyes fell out of the back of my head and continued rolling out the door. So dumb. Armor Wars is going to be terribad if this is any preview.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2023, 11:46:34 AM

This was pretty boring. M'baku is still cool, though.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 08, 2023, 12:15:26 PM

It is true that a world where supersuits become common gets kind of dull (shades of Syndrome and "a world where everyone is special means no one is") and a world where there's no comprehensible reason why everyone doesn't have a supersuit starts to feel stupid. (Just like a world where too many people have access to something like gamma radiation or a super-soldier formula.)

Generally the only way out once that starts to happen is to have a ton of deaths/failures introduced to make clear that the heroes are exceptional/unbelievably lucky.

But I do think continuing to play with the "Wakanda and Talokan have vibranium and the rest of the world is desperate to have it" is a good plotline for a long while. Sooner or later it probably requires a reset where all the remaining vibranium disappears or something of that sort.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever  
Jump to: