Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stray (PS5, PC) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stray (PS5, PC)  (Read 2728 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: July 19, 2022, 09:30:59 PM

Fucking get this.

Emergent? sure. you're doing a jump puzzler as a fucking cat. The discovery and the story are just that damn good.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 10:28:20 PM

PC performance is poo, though, so may want to wait for a few patches if that's your platform.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 12:44:05 AM

It's "free" if you have a mid-tier PSN subscription. I have the basic one, but I noticed that I can upgrade to mid tier ("Extra") for the rest of the month for $1 so I am doing that and basically renting "Stray" for a week for 1 euro. Since it's not a long game, but certainly a worthy one, you should consider it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 06:30:09 AM

I was so stoked for this game, then I saw the final trailer with the robot companion and it completely soured me on it. I've warmed a little since, but it still feels very much in the sale bin category just for the novelty of playing as cat.

edited to add: JFC am I agreeing with fucking Kotaku? Broken clocks, I guess. https://kotaku.com/playstation-plus-stray-sony-annapurna-cats-kittens-1849198656

Seems like a Spore type situation where a game is so far outside the mainstream that suits freak out and demand it become 'a game'.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:46:45 AM by Sky »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 12:27:26 PM

I am not gonna read Kotaku. It's a great game. It's not gonna test your smarts or your reflexes, it's a very chill stroll in an extremely beautiful setting, and fortunately it has been priced right.

I was not expecting the robot companion and that soured me too when it happened in the game, but got over it very quickly. It's not a cat simulator, and that's a good thing. It vaguely reminds me of a Half-Life without guns. I am getting vibes similar to those '98 ones. Or some Portal, too. I am not talking about gameplay, just vibes.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 03:17:55 PM

Many years ago (pre-Portal, maybe roughly when HL2 came out) I had the idea for a first person puzzler set in a science lab where the player is a cat that's caught in a Groundhog-Day-esque casuality loop that has to be resolved by doing cat shenanigans like knocking things off shelves, sitting on buttons labeled "DO NOT PUSH," and distracting people at crucial moments.

Outer Wilds nailed the "exploring a causality loop" part, Untitled Goose Game nailed the "feral shenanigans" part, and now this game has apparently done the "cat" part, so I think I can finally rest easy that none of those ideas are things that have yet to be explored in a game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 09:35:57 PM

The Kotaku review is trash. Is this game perfect? No. But it's just enough of a goddamn breath of fresh air and I'm here for it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 11:27:14 PM

Just played until I got the robot and entered the city, but the start of the game is incredibly cute. Its disconcerting that it might morph into a more classical game later, but right now i am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm not  a hardcore platforming player, so the difficulty level seems about right for me to enjoy the environment without dying every 5 minutes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 11:51:45 PM

I am past the halfway point and it does not morph into a more classical game. It's a walking simulator in disguise (unless something radical happens in the final part), and that's a great thing.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 09:13:07 PM

PC performance is poo, though, so may want to wait for a few patches if that's your platform.

Runs beautifully at 2560x1440 on my 4 year old PC (admittedly with a 3060). It seems to be getting small patches daily, hopefully this will fix your problem, as it's just a fantastic, fun game.

Edit: Kataku Kotaku need to stop sucking on their own dicks. What a terrible fucking review by talent-less hacks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:16:59 PM by Setanta »

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 07:54:10 AM

Occasional freeze/hitch on a 6900xt, which is only a problem in a few running bits. Still annoying.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 05:10:03 PM

Just finished it. It’s beautiful. The shooty parts are brief and the discovery, hijinx and adorable bits far outweigh them. (And they’re not even real shooty bits)

There’s one really weird sequence that I’m still scratching my head about but it was overall amazing. 

More heart went into this game than the last decade of AAAs. Even gives my love for Horizon: Zero Dawn a run for it’s money.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 01:19:14 AM

I went ahead and preordered the iam8bit physical edition. That's how much I want to enshrine this game.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 12:12:36 AM

...mods are already out - Garfield anyone?
https://www.nexusmods.com/stray/mods/58

Now if it was the scary Garfield, that could be cool.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 05:33:20 PM

Oh, fuck that.

Though, if I ever get it on Steam, I may download a mod to turn him into a Russian Blue or a Tuxie.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stray (PS5, PC)  
Jump to: