Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Willow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Willow  (Read 894 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: May 26, 2022, 03:09:25 PM

D+ series.

Did any of you call for this? I didn't call for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbveDpUZv4
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 03:22:36 PM

I didn't ask for it but I'm not upset.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 04:53:21 AM

It kind of looks like it'll be in the same space as Wheel of Time and a lot of other fantasy-based TV shows, so who knows, it might be decent.

The film kind of grew on me over the years--Lucas' direction is kind of inept (a foretaste of his SW prequels issues) but there's some elements there that might have worked better.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 07:01:27 PM

Ron Howard directed the movie. Lucas just wrote the story (not the screenplay) and exec. produced it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 06:05:40 AM

It kind of feels very Lucas-y, though, doesn't it? Like he was pretty much telling Howard what to do.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 07:54:02 AM

It kind of feels very Lucas-y, though, doesn't it? Like he was pretty much telling Howard what to do.

Not really. It felt very much like a Ron Howard film. Ron Howard can be a great director as long as what he is directing is in his wheelhouse. Cocoon is great. Splash is great. Apollo 13 is great. These are two light comedies and a drama. I hear A Beautiful Mind was great also.

Where I think Ron Howard isn't very good is action movies. Willow would have been a better movie with another director. So would Solo. I don't think anyone could have saved the Da Vinci Code and its sequels but the action would have been better with a different director. I just don't think he has a good eye for filming action scenes and so they tend to be sort of stiff and boring to look at. I think this is one of the big things that brought down Willow especially.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 07:56:09 AM

Willow was fine for the era. Probably even better than most "action" movies of the time.

But the story ultimately isn't an action story.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Willow  
Jump to: