Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  (Read 11644 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: October 24, 2022, 01:47:50 AM

Unfortunately, I find myself having to argue that he has a point. That climb through the fourth wall trivialized the stakes of the entire series. It was cute, but the jokes were so meta that they were only really funny to a few hundred people, all of them working for Marvel. And then they just deus exed into...shit, I don't even remember except it was generic happy ending bullshit.

Literally if it had been 8 episodes and ended on a cliff hanger, it would have been better.

--Dave

This is a pretty good description of why I think the finale went too far for me. I didn't expect She-Hulk to have huge stakes or anything. But the show made it clear it'd only have stakes, at all, if that's what Jennifer wanted so it all just didn't matter in the end. (Speaking on not mattering, Titania could have not been in the show and it'd have barely impacted anything...a shame as I love the actress.)

I think I'd have been more ok with it if it didn't have cameos from other Marvel characters that tied it into the MCU. For example, if they do a World War Hulk movie I'm probably going to have a few moments of "this was set up in the TV show that had Kevin Feige as a Wizard of Oz-esque robot head" and I'll get yanked right out of the movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: October 26, 2022, 10:34:30 AM

Just finished it.  I loved every minute, and it just deepened my irrational love for Tatiana.  I can see why the 4th wall stuff bothered some people, but for me this series hit all the right notes.

The fact that it is so poorly rated by a lot of viewers says more about the viewers than it does about the show.  I hope they make a lot more of this.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #142 on: October 26, 2022, 12:29:11 PM

The fact that it is so poorly rated by a lot of viewers says more about the viewers than it does about the show.  I hope they make a lot more of this.
It does kind of point to the spot on the doll where the viewers touched them. Tackling the twitter bullshit right out of the gate...and then twitter doing exactly that, was such an enjoyable meta.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #143 on: October 26, 2022, 12:36:55 PM

Also loved the show, but we've gotten the point in the MCU that is past what I remember reading as a child.  Had no idea that She-Hulk was involved in 4th wall business until I started watching this, and was mostly fine with it until the ending (which was just a little too much for me, not that I though it was particularly bad).  I kind of like that I'm now an average watcher and not someone with inside knowledge of the source material.  Much more relaxing this way.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 26, 2022, 05:08:50 PM

Just finished it.  I loved every minute, and it just deepened my irrational love for Tatiana.  I can see why the 4th wall stuff bothered some people, but for me this series hit all the right notes.

I think the reason it's poorly rated is because of men-children who need to be told at all times that men are awesome and women need to be hot and saved (I'm sure that is the reason).

But just on the face of that sentence, my first though was, "if 'viewers' (or 'gamers') are the problem with your product, then YOU are the problem".  So I'm slightly torn on that point.

Which leads to the my second point and your first point; if you book someone as awesome as Jameela Jamil and then don't do too much of anything with her that makes her being in the show important or memorable... then you fucked up.  Do better.  The character was a perfect opportunity to have some commentary about women shitting on women, but they pretty much just made her a stand in for, I don't know, narcissistic social media stars? People throwing tantrums?  Maybe I'm just out of touch but I still cannot fathom what her character's character is supposed to be (horrible sentence, sorry).  (really tired, sorry if this makes no sense)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 27, 2022, 06:34:55 AM

I don't think it's just the creeps that the show was criticizing. It's also that the show was pretty accurate in talking about the normal pattern of Marvel's films and TV series at this point, about how relatively formulaic (if highly skilled and entertaining) their output is now. So I think some viewers just reacted negatively because this show didn't service the formula--maybe even without knowing quite why that annoyed them. My wife didn't like the last episode despite liking the rest of the series and certainly liking the messaging on gender because she actually did expect all the plotlines to intersect and for there to be some kind of big to-do, if not a conventional punchfest.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #146 on: October 29, 2022, 06:40:42 AM

The meta stuff at the end was fun, but didn't feel satisfying. Like the whole payoff was missing. Subverting the dominant paradigm is great, but can lack closure.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: October 29, 2022, 08:25:54 AM

"see you on the big screen" "wait...really?" "no" was all the payoff i needed.

I am the .00000001428%
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 08, 2022, 02:52:39 PM

I really enjoyed this and it's the first Marvel anything I could see my wife possibly enjoying if she can get past the fact that the main character is a giant and green. That said there were definitely some missteps like the magician episode which felt like a waste of time and didn't really make sense ('We answer to a higher power!' Then maybe consider appealing to that higher power rather than trying to sue the guy for doing something that there isn't a law against but could destroy all life?) The ending I'm mixed on, I was really worried they were going to have the Abomination in on the whole plan and undermine him entirely as a character so it was a relief they didn't do the formulaic ending but I feel like they pulled just a tad too hard on the meta joke there. The writer's room was a touch too long and self-indulgent, the 'debate' with KEVIN in contrast felt a bit too rushed. I'd have appreciated it more if they'd skipped some of the build up and instead pitched it a bit more like a writing room moment with some pushback from the 'formula', hell even throw in a couple of bad ideas they could immediately backtrack on.

Really though it would have been that much more satisfying if they had actually played out the final confrontation in the plot rather than jump right to its conclusion. Yes I know part of the point of the KEVIN scene is that those plot point lines don't really matter, it's Jen's journey and experiences that the show is about but going 'all this set up conflict was about character growth so we're just going to skip to the point after the resolution' is and always will be an unsatisfying way of making that point. I'd have preferred to see Jen put techbro in a headlock and hand him over to the police while Abomination held on to a couple of his henchmen.

All that said, minor quibbles. It was a good series and I'm hoping they can run another season with a bigger focus on Super Hero Law stuff.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 08, 2022, 04:59:52 PM

You know, the reaction to the show essentially tracks against the pluses and minuses of "continuity" in the source material. That is, when shit in the comics was wildly different tonally or thematically from the regular universe, you had the fans who were invested in continuity constantly fretting about how to explain that. And then you had people saying "just enjoy it, relax". It's a DC Comics thing but I loved the bit in Grant Morrison's Animal Man where he meets his creator (e.g. Grant Morrison) and they talk among other things about why Animal Man is a completely different person when he's a member of the Justice League and Morrison says, "eh, it's just the way the business works, don't worry about it." Some time ago, Marvel's continuity fractured enough that this stopped being the issue it used to be--soft reboots happen all the time--but I do sort of get the angst of people who treat an entire comics universe as it has to be internally consistent. There's a nerd pleasure in that which isn't that different from being a literary critic who has studied a huge difficult novel like Ulysses or Middlemarch--you're able to explain how it all fits together to a new reader who is sort of overwhelmed by it all.
schild
Administrator

Reply #150 on: November 10, 2022, 07:34:32 PM

That said there were definitely some missteps like the magician episode which felt like a waste of time and didn't really make sense

the magician episode was arguably the most entertaining one tho

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  
Jump to: