Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Outer Range (Prime) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Outer Range (Prime)  (Read 842 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: April 19, 2022, 05:35:40 PM

I was nearly put off by mixed reviews and too much social media promotion, but I am liking this. Two episodes are out. Two more this Friday, and so on.

It's an original piece, despite talk that it's "Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks" because there are parallels. I found myself rewatching the final scene in both episodes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 06:01:02 PM

I was nearly put off by mixed reviews and too much social media promotion, but I am liking this. Two episodes are out. Two more this Friday, and so on.

It's an original piece, despite talk that it's "Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks" because there are parallels. I found myself rewatching the final scene in both episodes.

Reviews I read said the first few episodes are good then it goes downhill. I've been torn on whether or not to watch it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 01:29:07 PM

I saw a trailer for this and thought it looked interesting, but if the whole first season isn't out yet I will wait to hear feedback.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 09:53:08 PM

Reviews I read said the first few episodes are good then it goes downhill.

Could be, but I'd be surprised if the reviewers watched the entire season. A reviewer I know in Australia was only given the first two episodes (before they were released to the rest of us). He wasn't enthusiastic either, however, so I was surprised that I found something in this. There's so much TV for them to get through that they rarely see entire seasons unless they commit to it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 08:43:07 AM

Reviews I read said the first few episodes are good then it goes downhill.

Could be, but I'd be surprised if the reviewers watched the entire season. A reviewer I know in Australia was only given the first two episodes (before they were released to the rest of us). He wasn't enthusiastic either, however, so I was surprised that I found something in this. There's so much TV for them to get through that they rarely see entire seasons unless they commit to it.

I read a review that covered the whole season. It explicitly talked about the later episodes without going into spoilers. It more or less said the show becomes more focused on the family drama and some of the plotting gets very predictable in the latter half of the season and it loses alot of what made the first few episodes good. I'll probably wait to hear feedback from people I know before I risk it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 07:51:24 AM

[EDITED] I thought there was another episode to go, but it finished at episode 8.

Watched this to the end. I'm giving it a thumbs up. Saying "the show becomes more focused on the family drama" is like saying Severance focuses on office relationships, or The X-Files is a police procedural.

Events in the show's families are all related to the sci-fi/paranormal mystery underlying the show. Several big reveals involving the spooky mystery explain why the families are so fucked up.

As for "some of the plotting gets very predictable in the latter half of the season", I'd say that is related to a particular reveal that is heavily telegraphed from the beginning. It's about the unknown relationship of one character to another. There's an early scene where the first person's face ends one scene and the second person's face opens the next scene in the same position. i.e. We're supposed to deduce this thing long before anyone in the show does. By the time it's revealed to a main character, they are merely joining our search for information on why this thing is how it is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:35:09 AM by Tale »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Outer Range (Prime)  
Jump to: