Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Ms. Marvel (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ms. Marvel (Disney+)  (Read 5763 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: March 15, 2022, 12:19:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EX0f6V11Y

Starts streaming June 8 on Disney+.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 12:21:19 PM

Not sure I like the change in her powers. I understand why they might want to do that to save money but it's a huge change to her character.

Edit: also staves off the when / how are mutants coming to the MCU question
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:27:06 PM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 12:31:56 PM

I'm not sure CGI was there for the full stretchy power stuff. She definitely grew on me in the Avengers game but a lot of her action is morph stuff. On the other hand, I had thought they were making this with an eye to developing that tech for Reed Richards as well.

I hope that Spiderverse style animation overlay stuff makes it to the actual movie. I don't think it's right for all MCU stuff, but for some it should work really well.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 12:51:31 PM

I like that overlay look too.

I'm ok with changing her powers, but I think they gotta stick with stretching for Reed Richards and it's going to be really hard and expensive when they get there.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 06:35:54 PM

Let's be honest, stretchy powers are pretty much the lamest thing ever. The only cool part about mr Fantastic is the mad scientist stuff.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 06:25:13 AM

I feel like folks who didn't play Avengers missed out on a good introduction of the character, and I hope they keep her similar to that vibe. Because I was almost gagging when I saw her dopey powers as Ms Marvel, since I was a fan of the original Ms/Cpt Marvel (thus my dislike of Larson's casting given the awesome reboot of the comics a decade or so ago). But her meta/4th wall breaking as a comics nerd and her own self-awareness about how weird her powers were, she kind of owned it through sheer likability. And the look of her MCU powers seems like they're moving her back toward the original Ms Marvel idea of Kree powers, using the bracers.

I feel like this one could work better than the last batch of movies, but that's not really saying much.

As far as Mr Fantastic, I always liked their books but hated his powers so, so much when I was a kid. But the whole tech genius/galactus/surfer level stuff layered over the human issues in the team was great fodder for the writers (FF was one of the books I had a sub to in the 80s). At least he wasn't goddamned Plastic Man.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 06:44:30 AM

Stretchy powers in terms of what they do in practice in the comics seem ok--Reed Richards has a high degree of resistance to injury (they don't describe it like that but that's how it sorts out), tremendous physical adaptability to changing circumstances, etc.; and you can tell that artists mostly really enjoy drawing stretchy characters, which allows for a lot of visual inventiveness.

The fundamental problem at the root is that in a live-action treatment, stretchy powers look absolutely disgusting. It's very very body horror. A body flowing like liquid, without bones or musculature as we expect them? Barf.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 06:53:56 AM

Let's be honest, stretchy powers are pretty much the lamest thing ever. The only cool part about mr Fantastic is the mad scientist stuff.

Pretty much this, they fuckin suck. Fantastic Four is the worst "big" marvel group.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 12:03:23 PM

I feel like folks who didn't play Avengers missed out on a good introduction of the character, and I hope they keep her similar to that vibe.
Yes they did a good job with her character and powers in the game. The game is on Xbox Game Pass (for now) if you have that and the campaign is decent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 08:03:39 AM

First episode of this is out.  It's fun.  It's like a little bit Shazam and a little bit Turning Red and a little bit Never Have I Ever.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 09:46:15 AM

It was a 100% by the numbers tropey hero origin story carried super hard by the charm of the lead actress.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 11:25:30 AM

Yeah, it didn't really do much for me.  But I can see it's very well made and I think it's just a thing not for me, but good for other people.  I am not the target demograph here, nothing really appealed to me, and I didn't even find the main character very charming.  But I also just really don't care about the trials of teenagers.

Need to see another episode or two.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 12:04:10 PM

It was a 100% by the numbers tropey hero origin story carried super hard by the charm of the lead actress.
This should be the official reveal.

I liked it for what it was, as you say the actress nailed it and they snuck in enough nods towards comics graphics to get a bit of that Spiderverse vibe in live action, so that was cool.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 02:20:18 PM

overbearing family + ugly bracelet ain't it
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 06:56:22 PM

Overbearing family is kind of the point. Maybe some things are just not meant for everybody.

It had more visual invention than I expected. Also kind of a clever dodge on the stretching powers. Actress is great.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 07:15:18 PM

actress is *ok*

I'm just gonna say it - we got REALLY close to cringe and we're only one episode in.

I'm fine with overbearing family, but it's just not enough is all I'm getting at.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 09:19:46 PM

actress is *ok*

For someone who literally only has this MCU stuff listed for acting credits on IMDB, she's much better than I expected.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 07:12:29 AM

After having watched some interviews I don't think she's doing a lot of acting, that is literally her.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: June 14, 2022, 06:26:41 PM

It is indeed her and I dig it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2022, 08:39:31 PM

I've always liked this character, and the show does a great job of translating her to film. The lead actress nails the part and seems very inspired casting. It's not going to be for everyone. The character has always been about hope and playful teen angst humor that, in the comics at least, don't ever devolve into too smaltzy or too CW-angsty. It's lighthearted.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 07:29:34 AM

It must be kind of scary for her to play the character knowing that she's got to get it pretty much exactly right or have a ton of angry fans who actually like the character (as opposed to colossal douchebags who hate the whole idea of a Muslim superhero) be pissed off about it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 08:57:17 AM

2nd episode was pretty good. No major complaints so far.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 01:29:19 PM

Yeah I am enjoying this. I had no idea the guy from No Way Home was more than a cop, was that clear in the movie?

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 04:42:53 PM

Yeah I am enjoying this. I had no idea the guy from No Way Home was more than a cop, was that clear in the movie?

Yeah, he introduces himself in No Way Home as being with the Department of Damage Control.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 07:13:19 PM

The second episode was even better. I'm so glad they are fleshing out the supporting cast as much as they are, because they were a huge part of the comics. I wonder if the change in her powers is the first step in introducing mutants into the MCU.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 08:03:02 PM

It must be kind of scary for her to play the character knowing that she's got to get it pretty much exactly right or have a ton of angry fans who actually like the character (as opposed to colossal douchebags who hate the whole idea of a Muslim superhero) be pissed off about it.

She’s handled it fairly well. She told a bunch of fanboys that were bitching about the change in her powers to suck it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 07:22:06 AM

I wonder if the change in her powers is the first step in introducing mutants into the MCU.

A couple of people have said this and I don't get it, but I also don't read the comics.  Mutant powers show up in adolescence all on their own, right?  I was figuring the bangle was some kind of space tech, and that maybe the great-grandma was part alien.

(edit) oo maybe the energy source the bangle is activating is mitochondrial, because those always come from your mother (and hence mother’s mother’s mother…).  Some spaceman gave whatsername the bangle and shot her full of alien mitochondria to power it, and they’ve been passed down through the matrilineal bloodline ever since.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:27:39 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 16, 2022, 09:39:32 AM

Midichlorians, you say?

Cthulu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: June 16, 2022, 10:03:44 AM

Disney owns them both, why not?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 16, 2022, 10:55:01 AM

Missed opportunity not to mention Star Wars when they mentioned the guy from Eternals.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 04:34:58 AM

I think like this better than the comic character so far.

I really like the power redesign. Partly because stretchy powers suck. Partly because they integrate well with the awkward coming of age thing they have going.

Note yet another circles themed source of super powers. I don't think mutant origin seems at all likely, they could go inhuman per comics, but I think more likely they link this to eternals and the rings.

We all know about the Kang/multiverse strand of post endgame MCU, but I think the unexplored origin of all these cricle themed superheroes is another big part of it. Otoh I'm often wrong about this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 07:24:16 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 07:48:23 AM

New episode was good and that was a much deeper Marvel cut than I was expecting, even though I had seen an article calling it weeks ago.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 02:39:02 PM

The Trust-a-Bro gang were more threatening than this bunch, and they were comic relief.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 10:59:05 PM

Those bros made a cameo in ep 2.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 08:02:35 PM

Those bros made a cameo in ep 2.

Yeah, I saw that and laughed my ass off.

I'm digging Ms. Marvel very much, not even minding that the bad guys seem to be bumbling tits. It's very much in line with the comics, as I've said many times.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Ms. Marvel (Disney+)  
Jump to: