Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Hitman 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hitman 3  (Read 3064 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: January 14, 2022, 07:00:48 AM

Finally getting a non-epic PC launch on 20th January.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-year-2-reveal/

The level design in these games is amazing. And they are leaning into it with 'roguelike' random campaigns and building off of the elusive target system to provide a looser 'one shot at this slightly easier target and use your knowledge of the map to take them down' experience. As opposed to the more puzzley main campaign and achievements systems.

They already had this with elusive targets, occasional time limited targets you get locked out of if you fail. 'Freelancer' sees to be a fairly ambitious way to generate lots of content by combining random challenges and targets.

As a way to drive players to discover more about these absurdly well designed maps, this seems great.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:47:11 AM

Seems kind of odd calling something "Hitman 3" with the amount of Hitman games there have been. But ya, they are damn good games. I wish I had the kind of mind needed to really enjoy them.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:43:18 AM

In VR, even.  Probably a must buy.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 10:52:21 AM

Seems kind of odd calling something "Hitman 3" with the amount of Hitman games there have been. But ya, they are damn good games. I wish I had the kind of mind needed to really enjoy them.

It is the third in a series since 2016, the prior games act as DLC for this one and to my mind they are the three that deliver on what hitman was promised to be since the start.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:08:00 PM

Anyway it'll be on XGP so nobody buy this shit
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:24:02 PM

Except that the Xbox Game App is the shittiest of shittiest game launchers ever created.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:57:02 PM

It's also the best value in gaming ever, so like, I'm fine with the launcher not being great.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 07:15:44 PM

Except that the Xbox Game App is the shittiest of shittiest game launchers ever created.

yeah well it's also from microsoft and not tencent so
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:27:23 PM

Microsoft is harvesting a crapton more data about you than Epic Games is. And the Xbox Game app won't work if you've turned off Windows telemetry. I spent weeks bashing my head in trying to figure out why, after working fine, it stopped allowing me to install games. Turns out some recent update made it so it won't work if you've disabled some aspect Windows telemetry though I have no idea which part.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 06:40:00 AM

Cool, Id still rather give my data to Microsoft than epic and china

Also, I have 11s telemetry turned off and it works fine as far as I can tell.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 09:03:17 AM

That’s cause you aren’t turning it all off.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 05:39:20 PM

This has finally launched the roguelike game mode that starts you with no gear and has you work through randomly generated missions in the existing maps.

It's pretty great.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:51:01 AM by eldaec »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 08:33:53 PM

This series has never been what I imagined or wanted. I doubt that will have changed. It always feels like an ersatz puzzle game where I'm guessing what the devs want me to do rather than an actual procedural game with real randomness. I just can't believe that's changed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 07:30:53 AM

I picked up this one on a recent sale pretty cheap, though I rarely make it very far in these games. Always seems to fiddly, as if it's tons of freedom to do what you want in our very narrow prescribed ways. I've played the yacht mission starter a bunch of times and can see where it would be cool but something just doesn't click. On paper I should really dig it.

But I remember playing the demo for Hitman 2 when it came out and really enjoyed the stormy coastline vibe of that mission. Maybe because I wasn't always fighting the camera to see if someone is around to witness what I'm up to constantly?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 11:22:28 AM

Yeah, on paper I always think "I will love this" and then I never do. I never feel like I'm improvising, I feel like I'm playing a 2d platformer where you have to hit the jump button at exactly the right moment or fall into the lava, or I'm playing coin-op Dragon's Lair and spending a roll of quarters to learn the sequence of lever pulls in various directions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 03:41:42 PM

This series has never been what I imagined or wanted. I doubt that will have changed. It always feels like an ersatz puzzle game where I'm guessing what the devs want me to do rather than an actual procedural game with real randomness. I just can't believe that's changed.

The core game is more this - but the 2016 on trilogy really went to town on level design and expanded the number of challenges to a ridiculous level, there are so many scripted kills and a whole pile of skill challenges on top of that. I've not seen anything ever that has level design on the same level.

The freelancer mode is very different and very procedural with all the ups and downs of that. Whereas in the main game you reload if something goes even slightly wrong, here the game is more about how you deal with the screw ups. But it would be very hard to get to a competent enough level to have fun if you haven't played enough of the main campaign enough to be able to visualise the maps and grok what is likely to be possible.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Hitman 3  
Jump to: