Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Batman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Batman  (Read 8986 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: October 16, 2021, 04:24:59 PM

Main Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqft2x_Aa4

Emo Batman / Bruce Wayne looks terrible.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 05:50:40 PM

Not feeling it. But I've been wrong before on these things. There's some interesting notes here and there. Clearly gonna be chock-full of Batman-villains.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 08:24:07 PM

Looks boring.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 08:34:05 PM

I think it looks fine and Pattinson will carry it. But it only looks fine relative to every non-Joker themed DC movie (including all the Batmans barring maybe the first one, even though Keaton was pretty boring).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:23:57 PM

I like it and I agree Pattinson is going to carry it. Not entirely sure about Catwoman, but it does appear they are going for a very New 52 Batman aesthetic, which might work for cinematic treatments so long as they don't fall into the over the top-ness of some of the stories.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:28:54 PM

I think it looks fine and Pattinson will carry it. But it only looks fine relative to every non-Joker themed DC movie (including all the Batmans barring maybe the first one, even though Keaton was pretty boring).

Keaton was boring? He's literally the only live-action movie Batman that was entertaining.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 03:20:12 AM

I think it looks fine and Pattinson will carry it.
I like it and I agree Pattinson is going to carry it.
Did I miss some change in Pattinson where he pokevolved into something other than the guy you hire for your movie because he pulls off looking hot as long as he doesn't talk (or do pretty much anything else but stand there and look hot)?

Like, I can't think of a single thing I have ever seen him in where I would say he was there for his ability to act.

Unless by "carrying" it you mean we are going to spend a lot of time staring at Hot Batman or something....

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 05:24:27 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pattinson#2014%E2%80%932018:_Independent_films_and_critical_acclaim

Also, yea, looks fine. I'm not a huge Batman fan anyway so I'll probably skip it in theaters unless we're bored that week, but it'll be a decent watch on whatever streaming service it lands on. HBO, I'm guessing; isn't that where Suicide Squad 2 landed day 1?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 07:31:00 AM

Keaton was boring? He's literally the only live-action movie Batman that was entertaining.

Yeah, he was boring and still the best batman. That's how bad batman has been throughout cinema.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 07:31:54 AM

Did I miss some change in Pattinson where he pokevolved into something other than the guy you hire for your movie because he pulls off looking hot as long as he doesn't talk (or do pretty much anything else but stand there and look hot)?

Like, I can't think of a single thing I have ever seen him in where I would say he was there for his ability to act.

Unless by "carrying" it you mean we are going to spend a lot of time staring at Hot Batman or something....

It turns out both Pattinson and Stewart are fucking great and they weren't the problem with Twilight. Yes, I know, I couldn't have predicted that either.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 09:14:57 AM

Watch The Lighthouse if you want to see Pattinson act.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 01:13:20 PM

Diggory looks good, the film looks bad.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 01:17:45 PM

Also I count three villians even if we don't count Falcone.

Have we still not figured out that this is too many villians?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 03:21:36 PM

Ironically it was Batman Returns that started that trend... only in that movie all the villains interacting with one another so they shared screen time, so it worked. Its never worked since.

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 04:56:06 PM

Pattinson is a good actor that got saddled with sparkly emo typecasting early on in his career and is finally getting out from under it. Think about the source material he was working from, he nailed the character as written.

--Dabe

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 08:53:27 PM

It turns out both Pattinson and Stewart are fucking great and they weren't the problem with Twilight. Yes, I know, I couldn't have predicted that either.

Agreed. They've both slowly but surely crawled out from under the shadow of Twilight (ironic phrasing notwithstanding) and have proven to be very good actors.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 07:06:37 AM

Keaton sucked as the bat. He was so much better as the Vulture, a character that has been pretty horrible throughout all comics.

Spider-man has also struggled as a franchise to get the Sinister Six done well, here's hoping for the MCU magic to work on the next one. I felt Into the Spider-verse dealt with a cast of villains (and heroes) pretty well.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 07:07:36 AM

I think you can have multiple villains in a Batman-as-detective story the way you can have multiple suspects in an Agatha Christie novel. E.g., a few of them feature only as red herrings early on. But it takes the script and the director not spending any time at all on the backstory etc. of a given villain--you just say "This is the Penguin. I know you guys know who this is, just like you know that Batman's parents are dead. Batman is going to punch the Penguin, then have to deal with a trick umbrella, then he's going to punch the Penguin again and find out what the Penguin knows. Then he's going to move on."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 07:35:52 AM

If you want to do a whodunit you make the film about the Riddler (or whoever) but don't reveal the Riddler's identity.

But I don't get the impression a whodunit is what is happening.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:37 AM

They've said a few things about the intention to make it centrally about Batman-as-detective. I doubt it's a whodunit with the question of whether it's the Riddler or not, but it might be "detective work is required to solve the Riddler's clues", rather than the usual "the clues are just riddles that when you solve them tell you where the next crime/deathtrap is located". Could also be that the Riddler basically drags Batman through the dealings of other villains--a bit like the way that the Hush storyline in the comics (not one of my favorites overall) involved a lot of deliberate misdirection by Hush and the Riddler to get Batman tangled up with other villains so he couldn't focus on what they were doing.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 10:12:01 AM

Lets be fair, if I was landed with universal ridicule from my performance in a 4 awful movie marathon I, too, would spend the next decade in acting college training my ass off.

Hic sunt dracones.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 12:04:18 PM

I would definitely have trouble sleeping on my piles of cash. I'd have to snuggle my money bear extra close.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 06:03:44 PM

If you want to do a whodunit you make the film about the Riddler (or whoever) but don't reveal the Riddler's identity.

The trailer didn't show us the Riddler's face so it's possible they're going that route. "The Riddler is doing things" can still be an interesting story if, as you say, the central question is "Who is the Riddler?" This is made more difficult by casting announcements and comic fans knowing Riddler's real name(s*), but they could still have a misdirect in the movie like they did in Iron Man 3 with the Mandarin.

*I don't know if there have been multiple in-universe Riddlers or not, I only know Edward Ligma.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 07:16:00 PM

Nigma. (E. Nigma).

So maybe that's the way they're going, yeah.

I mean, Alfred IS Serkis, who isn't exactly known for being a good guy...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 04:56:27 AM

The trailer didn't show us the Riddler's face so it's possible they're going that route. "The Riddler is doing things" can still be an interesting story if, as you say, the central question is "Who is the Riddler?" This is made more difficult by casting announcements and comic fans knowing Riddler's real name(s*), but they could still have a misdirect in the movie like they did in Iron Man 3 with the Mandarin.

*I don't know if there have been multiple in-universe Riddlers or not, I only know Edward Ligma.

Even if you know the Riddler's real name he could be operating under an alias. Equally it could be a Colombo thing where the audience know who he is even if Batman does not.

Good films can't be spoiled.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 07:03:47 PM

Nigma. (E. Nigma).
I know, I was acting like a twelve year old.

eldaec, I disagree with your last statement. And I've never enjoyed "mysteries" where the audience knows but the MC does not.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2021, 03:57:37 PM

The key is the MC has to be competent.

The worst way to spend 90 minutes is watching fucking inspector gadget bounce around failing to do the obvious thing.

As for spoilers - what good films can you think of that don't work once spoiled?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 04:56:32 PM

The key is the MC has to be competent.

The worst way to spend 90 minutes is watching fucking inspector gadget bounce around failing to do the obvious thing.

As for spoilers - what good films can you think of that don't work once spoiled?

Depends on what you mean by "don't work" but films like The Usual Suspects are amazing if you go into them unspoiled. Still good if they're not but not the same.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 07:14:55 PM

As Riggswolfe said, they can still be good movies but a good unspoiled twist is a great moment in a movie. Shutter Island and Arrival immediately come to mind.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 07:42:24 PM

This was great, if it has any flaws it's going a little too long. Do not stay for the post credit scene, it is a big nothing.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2022, 02:48:14 PM

I liked a lot of what this movie did, or at least what it was trying to do.  Enough to give it a pass on the parts where the execution wasn't perfect.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2022, 05:01:14 PM

I liked this quite a lot.

Great feeling of dread throughout. Sort of Se7en-meets-Batman feel for some of it. Does a good job of creating uncertainty about what's going on; does a good job of making Batman an actual detective. Good dramatic arc for a Batman who is beginning to realize that just punching people isn't good enough. (and an interesting explanation for why it doesn't make a difference if he punches people--it's the opposite really of the arc between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight where the big-name gangsters are scared of Batman now)

Could have used a slightly tighter edit in the last quarter of the film. A lot of good action though . Does a good job on its visioning of "realism", including the Batmobile.

Sort of wondered why there aren't gangsters all over the Bat-Signal site, it's not hard to figure out where it's coming from.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 21, 2022, 05:28:59 AM

Sort of wondered why there aren't gangsters all over the Bat-Signal site, it's not hard to figure out where it's coming from.
Did they change the placement for this movie?  Cause I was pretty sure the signal is almost always sent from the top of Gordon's Police headquarters building in almost every iteration of the Batman franchise.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 21, 2022, 08:04:05 AM

Yeah, this time it's not--it seems like it's in a half-finished skyscraper and it's seemingly Gordon's personal initiative that has been tolerated by the city hierarchy. I liked that they didn't feel the need to give us the whole backstory on that either.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2022, 06:08:41 PM

Just watched this tonight. I think it did a great job of doing something none of the prior Batman movies has done. It showed me why people would be scared of Batman. There were multiple moments where I thought to myself "stick this scene in a horror movie and he's Jason Vorhees not the hero.". I think that was intentional though as it was showing him having to evolve by the end of the movie.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Batman  
Jump to: