Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+)  (Read 15034 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: January 20, 2022, 11:43:55 AM

One thing that struck me with this latest episode was when they were sending in the drone to recon Jabba's palace. Everything about that scene is utterly ridiculous, because the tech of the drone should be easily discoverable with our modern tech (motion sensors, heat sensors, etc.) There should have been some kind of counter measures on Jabba's palace for that sort of thing but there apparently weren't and yet we have sentient(?) droids who are both completely expendable but also have consciousness and emotions, but they can't add motion sensors to the entrances and air ducts/sewer grates? Star Wars as a universe, as a tech framework, political structure, none of it makes a lick of sense if you think two seconds about it.
Yes, we need more explanation and less suspension of disbelief in Star Wars. You know, midichlorians.

Not asking for explanations and really don't give much of a shit. I'm just saying that you can't approach Star Wars as any sort of logical, consistent universe, because it fucking isn't. It's juvenile adventure where shit just happens because that's what the story says, try not to think about it too hard. Sometimes that works, and I think it mostly works here. Sometimes you get Rise of Skywalker, midichlorians and parkour Yoda having the entire Senate thrown at him.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 20, 2022, 12:36:49 PM

to be fair though, parkour yoda sounds like it would be great
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 20, 2022, 01:57:33 PM

Actually I kind of love that scene.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 20, 2022, 04:50:23 PM

Actually I kind of love that scene.

It was the only redeeming feature of the prequels. Having said that, if they'd gone all Darth Jar Jar, I may have liked the prequels more.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 26, 2022, 01:02:24 PM

Well that is definitely one way to massively improve this show.

I am the .00000001428%
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 26, 2022, 02:07:35 PM

Still waiting for someone to talk about an antagonist for this show before I even give this a shot.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 26, 2022, 03:09:29 PM

The uh...pykes?

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 26, 2022, 04:54:59 PM

I actually think the Pykes are really well done. I thought they'd be tough to do in live action. But they look good.

Issue with this show right now is there have been 3 episodes of material spread over 5 weeks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #78 on: January 26, 2022, 08:33:02 PM

Wizard
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #79 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:03 PM

Fallen Order reference plus an N1 plus Appa.

Yeah.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #80 on: January 27, 2022, 06:36:50 PM

Best episode so far. Too bad it didn't actually have the main character of the show in it.  why so serious? But nice to get an extra Mandolorian episode in my Boba Fett show.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 27, 2022, 06:54:10 PM

I am 90% sure we are going to get Grogu in a Mandalorian helmet at some point judging by the shape of that gift he was carrying and that would just make this perfect.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 27, 2022, 07:49:00 PM

I am 90% sure we are going to get Grogu in a Mandalorian helmet at some point judging by the shape of that gift he was carrying and that would just make this perfect.

I thought it was chainmail so he doesn't die 30 years from now from Kylo.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #83 on: January 27, 2022, 09:24:59 PM

Baby-sized mithril (er, I mean beskar) shirt.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #84 on: January 28, 2022, 06:42:51 AM

Due to how small it is, I just assumed it was a replica of the round ball from Mando’s now destroyed ship.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 28, 2022, 06:58:46 AM

It's beskar, it has to be armor.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #86 on: January 28, 2022, 09:48:48 AM

Baby-sized mithril (er, I mean beskar) shirt.

That’s what I was thinking too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #87 on: January 28, 2022, 11:31:56 AM

Baby Yoda dark saber

Darth Yoda is the new big bad, rebuilding the Mandalore zealots into the Second Order.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #88 on: January 28, 2022, 01:04:03 PM

That would be fun, but we see the full size darksaber after the forging scene.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 02, 2022, 09:56:25 AM

On todays episode of "every single character is cooler than the main character" we went ahead and threw the kitchen sink at you.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 02, 2022, 10:12:43 AM

Well, I like that new series that replaces the Book of Boba Fett. Wish they would have done that since the first episode.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #91 on: February 02, 2022, 02:38:25 PM

It seems like the story Favreau wanted to tell was the Lawrence of Tatooine flashbacks, and they realized that even with the gangster story wrapped around it, it just wasn't a big enough story. So they had to throw in a couple of Mandalorian season 2.5 episodes.

And it leads to tonal whiplash, the pieces just don't fit together.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 02, 2022, 02:51:27 PM

I don't think the pieces not fitting together would necessarily be a problem if the structure of the show accounted for it.

If they'd just concentrated on the tusken story, then the story of Boba taking the palace, then the Din story, and finally the pykes story it would have been workable. Its the flipping around that causes the problem.

Incidentally, if that kind of emotional abuse is really the core jedi training strategy, you see how Kylo Ren happened.

Also, live action Cad Bane was pretty great.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 02, 2022, 02:56:21 PM

And Luke was WAY better than the last time.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 02, 2022, 04:39:33 PM

Basically, "we have no plan at all", which, you know, has been kind of a problem for the entire IP for a while now.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 02, 2022, 07:02:14 PM

It's a bit disappointing to see Luke perpetuating the same bullshit attachment philosophy of the old Jedi order, but we know how his school ends up so I guess it's not surprising.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: February 02, 2022, 07:49:47 PM

It's a bit disappointing to see Luke perpetuating the same bullshit attachment philosophy of the old Jedi order, but we know how his school ends up so I guess it's not surprising.

As I'm just saying over in Discord, the Jedi just literally suck at everything they do. Every time they are given any sort of choice, they always make the worst one in adherence to some ill-defined dogma that makes no fucking sense.

While I love seeing Grogoo again, having one episode used to set up yet another series spinoff, continue a story from a completely different series about two completely different characters, fill in backstory for the last shitty series of movies and then meander around into maybe advancing the plot of the actual series we're here for is just... yeah, tonal whiplash is a good description.

The gunslinger with the red eyes was cool though.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 02, 2022, 08:06:10 PM

I would have been happy with more Lawrence of Arabia with a dash of They Call Me Trinity thrown in for the series. The gunfighter scene was great. Much as I like the Mandalorian, it feels like it's shoehorned in, where I would have preferred more Boba Fett, with the Mndalorian in a separate season. I still find the switch from "you won the Darksaber... let me make some tiny elf armour... oh you took your helmet off... fuck off" to be a total joke of an episode, no matter how good the action was.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 02, 2022, 11:48:29 PM

Both shows would benefit from being more like clone wars.

An anthology of 90ish minute arcs.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:50:32 PM by eldaec »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 03, 2022, 05:33:46 AM

It was surprising how well he translated from cartoon form, they did tone down his hat a little.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #100 on: February 03, 2022, 07:17:29 AM

I still find the switch from "you won the Darksaber... let me make some tiny elf armour... oh you took your helmet off... fuck off" to be a total joke of an episode, no matter how good the action was.

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of this progression either.  Especially since that makes it look like a trap where they brought him in and attempting to duel him for the Darksaber, then exiled him only after they lost.  But why make the armor for him in the meantime if that was always going to be the case?  Why not force him to turn over his own beskar armor as well if he's no longer one of them?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: February 03, 2022, 07:41:59 AM

While I love seeing Grogoo again, having one episode used to set up yet another series spinoff, continue a story from a completely different series about two completely different characters, fill in backstory for the last shitty series of movies and then meander around into maybe advancing the plot of the actual series we're here for is just... yeah, tonal whiplash is a good description.

My hope/prediction is that Grogu chooses the armor and that's the last we see of Deepfake Luke and his entire storyline.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 03, 2022, 01:52:54 PM

It was surprising how well he translated from cartoon form, they did tone down his hat a little.

All the direct translations in both shows have been remarkable. The pykes, the darksabre, Ahsoka, the wookie, Bo Katan's Gang. Cad Bane was probably the best yet.

Weirdly, the Mandalorian himself is the one I'm least sold on. That armour still looks too tinfoily - and I think they are still struggling to sell his character without showing his face. I was quite sad when he lost the spear, it was his most unique feature, and the few times he used it were the only times I've felt his character was being communicated through the action.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #103 on: February 03, 2022, 02:59:51 PM

My hope/prediction is that Grogu chooses the armor and that's the last we see of Deepfake Luke and his entire storyline.

Given that Grogu was nowhere to be found in the continuity of the 7-9 films I would think this is how it is going to go. He and Mando will have some new purpose/crusade and Grogu will help him learn how to wield the Darksabre. 

Also I predict Boba Fett dies in the final episode in a way that kickstarts that new storyline.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 03, 2022, 03:07:47 PM

At this point they might as well have left him the fucking Sarlacc, really, except for his role in the Mandalorian storyline.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+)  
Jump to: