Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+)  (Read 14904 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 04:09:26 PM

I'm going to need a Danny Trejo action figure, plz.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 04:56:26 PM

It's not fucking exposition if it's done right. They had scenes explaining to you that they're a bunch of fucking ignorant savages who can't use machines unless Boba shows them, did you find that tiresome and turn it off? No, because you didn't see it as "exposition". But it was. That's what it was when you watched retard tusken fall off his bike three times. It just wasn't with words. You're so used to that scene that you don't find it "expositional" but that's the point--at the least you should find that even stupider than if they had a ten-second sequence of the Tuskens beating Boba around the head because he assumed they were technological retards. That's quicker, more unexpected, and more entertaining in a way. But no, you're happy with a filler set of repetitions showing you a trope that is like goddamn peanut butter and jelly or whatever and then you say 'please don't show me boring exposition'.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #37 on: January 13, 2022, 09:43:23 AM

I'm going to need a Danny Trejo action figure, plz.

That means we also get a Stephen Root action figure.  Excellent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 11:19:05 AM

Danny Fucking Trejo, locks just a-flowin'. Another fun episode, even with the Back to the Future 2 gang. Hoping Bountybacca comes back, awesome character design.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #39 on: January 14, 2022, 06:25:26 PM

Mos Quadrophenia.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #40 on: January 14, 2022, 08:21:55 PM

Still doing a shit job of showing how he is possibly supposed to be running a criminal empire with exactly 3 henchmen/soldiers/employees/anything.  Grats on doubling the size of his 'army' this episode by hiring 4 zoot suit teens, but lol.  The exuberance at having a pet Rancor and wanting to ride it was also sort of weird.  "Totally safe unless threatened."  Yeah.....

Again, still just entertaining enough (I do like seeing the world building and costume design) to keep me watching, but the writing is a mess.
Danny Fucking Trejo, locks just a-flowin'. Another fun episode, even with the Back to the Future 2 gang. Hoping Bountybacca comes back, awesome character design.
I'm sure they'll bring him back to save Boba from himself since he's now Star Wars Ned Stark.  But if you want to know more, he actually has quite a bit of back story in the (canon) comics:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Krrsantan

Including the fact he and Boba teamed up with each other under Jabba.  Kinda sad they didn't have some banter about that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 05:19:50 AM

I am glad to see Black Krrsantan, at any rate--and they really nailed his comic-book look.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 07:12:12 AM

I was surprised he just walked away. Because he was the best looking character in this and the only one really able to emote anything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 09:50:46 AM

I was surprised he just walked away. Because he was the best looking character in this and the only one really able to emote anything.

And actually showed what a bad ass he is in his five minutes of screen time, Boba hasn't managed to do a tenth of that in what... four episodes? several movies?

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 12:03:20 PM

Like I said, if that turns out to be the point of all this, that Boba Fett is actually pretty fucking bad at all the jobs he's set himself to, and that he only got hired in the past because he had some Mandalorian armor and maybe wrote an email to his old pal Shreev saying "hi i am jango's kid and i am not programmed for order 66 but i was still part of your clone door dash order could you get me a bounty hunter contract or two please"? I would actually love that, especially if it ended with him finally learning how to be more of a bad ass.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: January 15, 2022, 12:48:11 PM

Except in the Mandalorian he seems actually competent.

Edit: Also, even if the overall point is that Fett is actually bad at this, then what's everyone else's excuse for either humoring him, or being so bad at killing him? Nobody tells him "hey, killing Bib Fortuna doesn't really make you a crime lord, and you don't seem to have the capability to provide any actual services", and even the people who try to kill him seem to be half-assing it. Just sending one Wookie in and hoping that will do the job?

The only narrative here that makes sense is that a dried up shithole like Tatooine only attracts the least competent crime lords.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:43:02 PM by Velorath »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 15, 2022, 03:04:32 PM

That seems possible. I mean, he's not trying to muscle into a serious gangster planet. Maybe this is an audition. Or a Level 1 Crimelord planet and Fett's trying to do all the classes to unlock Jedi.

I got the vague feeling from the Mayor Mos Espa that people may in fact have a reason for humoring Fett. Maybe even that Fett's in on it. It's possible I suppose that it's about luring somebody in by making him look vulnerable and clownshoes, but that's a bit close to the Joker's "I don't have a plan" master plan, considering that Fett's seemed in real danger now multiple times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: January 15, 2022, 03:29:05 PM

Apparently the backstory on that Wookie is that he was once sent to Tatooine to kill Obi-Won Kenobi, and I think that story is canon. So we know he's at least a badass Wookie, if we accept that Kenobi was also a badass.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #48 on: January 15, 2022, 05:44:10 PM

"Failed to kill Obi-Wan" is understandable, but also not the most impressive resume.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 15, 2022, 06:22:40 PM

"Failed to kill Obi-Wan" is understandable, but also not the most impressive resume.

How about "survived a fight with Obi Wan"? cause he wasn't fucking around in that dessert.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 03:03:10 PM

Who would have thought Boba Fett was an incompetent naive idiot.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #51 on: January 16, 2022, 03:37:12 PM

Stolen from Twitter: "boba fett developed a cult of badassness despite being a sight gag and dying like an intergalactic mr. bean in the original trilogy"

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 16, 2022, 11:06:30 PM

Back to the Future or Spy Kids?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2022, 01:54:52 PM

So why exactly did he think his armor was in the sarlacc pit?

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2022, 04:10:35 PM

I just tuned into this thread. I tried the show on a whim after paying for a month of Disney+ on a whim, and I actually like it better than The Mandalorian. I don't really care that Boba is a bit shit, because the whole thing is very Star Warsy and continues to be a better production than any of the recent movies.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it feels like Favreau etc might have wanted to do a Boba Fett story initially. I guess canon was "Boba died in the sarlacc pit", so they had to invent a non-Mandalorian Mandalorian. Perhaps because they did that so well, they got their Boba wish, but on the condition that they use Temuera Morrison, who's in his sixties and not up for parkour. He's Maori and they ran an indigenous people storyline, which I enjoyed. They're doing a good job with Tatooine and I have been entertained so far.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #55 on: January 19, 2022, 04:15:24 PM

I mean, I keep watching. It's not bad TV,  just  a bit formulaic. I never feel surprised.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 04:32:59 PM

but on the condition that they use Temuera Morrison, who's in his sixties and not up for parkour.

Not sure why this would matter, they already proved with The Mandalorian that you can just leave the helmet on 99% of the time anyways.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 05:02:40 PM

Surprise seems like an important part of making something as potentially shopworn as Star Wars work. Either do something to characters nobody expects, subvert some tropes in a way that's surprising and actually fun, or do some plot work that offers its own pleasures.

I was re-reading an old comics arc that really got at this for me--the last arc of "Captain Britain and MI13". Short-run Marvel comic featuring a shit-ton of leftovers (which is a pretty good definition of Boba Fett, etc.) where Dracula plans to invade Great Britain from the Moon. Not going to spoil it but the whole thing is just fucking great because it shoots off every Chekov's gun from the actual series but also because it hoovers up old characters and does surprising things with them (that seem brilliant and logical once they're done) and because it just has this totally metal feel to it throughout (vampires plotting from the dark side of the Moon, because nobody worries about the sun there, etc.)

That's kind of what a series like this needs: one of those legs. Do something surprising to the characters that you've never seen before, subvert some tropes, or have a fucking genius plot where the clockwork unfolding of it is a source of pleasure in its own right. This feels like "we know you all like Boba Fett and hey don't you also love Ming-Na Wen from TV's Agents of SHIELD and hey look it's Tatooine and hey you have probably seen Lawrence of Arabia and we've heard dog that you like references to classic movies, so ENJOY". There doesn't feel like there's an idea here other than hey Temuera Morrison and Min-Na Wen were available for a pretty good price and we know a lot of people think Boba Fett is cool and we don't have another The Mandalorian ready just yet so let's shovel some content into the hungry hungry maw".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 07:44:35 PM

It's Boba Fett. From the minute the Mandolorian was announced, people thought it'd be about Boba Fett and they were in for it. That the show turned out to be really fucking good without Boba in it was a surprise to everyone, including the creators. This feels much more like a "quick, make a show with Boba Fett!" It's not as good but it has its moments.

One thing that struck me with this latest episode was when they were sending in the drone to recon Jabba's palace. Everything about that scene is utterly ridiculous, because the tech of the drone should be easily discoverable with our modern tech (motion sensors, heat sensors, etc.) There should have been some kind of counter measures on Jabba's palace for that sort of thing but there apparently weren't and yet we have sentient(?) droids who are both completely expendable but also have consciousness and emotions, but they can't add motion sensors to the entrances and air ducts/sewer grates? Star Wars as a universe, as a tech framework, political structure, none of it makes a lick of sense if you think two seconds about it.

With that in mind, I just have to sit back and hope they don't take this story and make something so ridiculous that we have another "Rise of Skywalker" on our hands.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 20, 2022, 01:56:20 AM

I felt most of this should have been episode 1.

Maybe an episode doing tuskens as episode 1 followed by this as 2.

It was fine. Not amazing but fine.

If we were going into Boba, Mulan, Angrybacca, and the back to the future gang vs Pykes a few episodes earlier I'd be much more on the Fett train than I am.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:58:47 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #60 on: January 20, 2022, 07:02:38 AM

One thing that struck me with this latest episode was when they were sending in the drone to recon Jabba's palace. Everything about that scene is utterly ridiculous, because the tech of the drone should be easily discoverable with our modern tech (motion sensors, heat sensors, etc.) There should have been some kind of counter measures on Jabba's palace for that sort of thing but there apparently weren't and yet we have sentient(?) droids who are both completely expendable but also have consciousness and emotions, but they can't add motion sensors to the entrances and air ducts/sewer grates? Star Wars as a universe, as a tech framework, political structure, none of it makes a lick of sense if you think two seconds about it.
Yes, we need more explanation and less suspension of disbelief in Star Wars. You know, midichlorians.

Show continues to be awesome, I even went back and watched the Mando episode where Ming Na gets shot na, and will be watching the Boba cameo Mando next, since it seems to be relevant after this episode.

Full disclosure, I've had a Mando vinyl on my vehicle since back when Lucas was not making Star Wars anything. So to have a second show about Mandalorians is a place I couldn't have dreamed of when I slapped that vinyl on there more than a dozen years ago.

My main disappointment is that Boba didn't go /more/ native in the desert and get a custom headpiece and maybe some more overt Tusken nods in his Mando suit.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: January 20, 2022, 07:34:30 AM

Star Wars as a universe, as a tech framework, political structure, none of it makes a lick of sense if you think two seconds about it.

The ecological parts are what always annoy me so much I have to make a conscious effort to ignore them.  Like the fucking black melons.  They just grow... under the sand?  No photosynthesis, no nutrients, no water.  But somehow they grow and reproduce in such quantities and contain so much surplus water that the Tuskens are able to survive off of them.  Why would people run "moisture vaporators" on Tattooine when they could just farm these magic plants that create water out of absolutely nothing?

What the fuck do banthas eat with their giant human-like mouths and no forelimbs?  They sure didn't evolve to dig up black melons.  They look like herd animals, and there are references to bantha herders -- where's the fucking grass?

How are there so many large carnivores just hanging around that there's always one handy for an action scene no matter where you are?  What do they subsist on when there isn't a main character  randomly wandering into their den?  Real-life apex predators have territories of hundreds of square miles.

Etc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:36:28 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 20, 2022, 08:15:28 AM

I'm sorry for this, I really am.

Khaldun: "vampires plotting from the dark side of the Moon, because nobody worries about the sun there"
Me: so vampires are stupid? ... and dead?  Or very very surprised that "dark side of the moon" is an inaccurate phrase.  Should be "farside of the moon that gets as much light as the nearside so please, vampires and other photophobics, don't be fooled".

or is Earth's moon tidally locked to the sun in this universe?

Again, really sorry to derail
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #63 on: January 20, 2022, 08:30:18 AM

Maybe they live in a lunar RV that drives around the equator.  I'm not sure how fast exactly you'd need to drive to stay in perpetual night on the moon, but it has to be a lot easier than it'd be on Earth.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 20, 2022, 08:36:57 AM

Well, keep in mind that in the first issue of Nova in Marvel Comics, way back in the 1970s, a spaceship "three times the size of Saturn" gets close to Earth and nobody even sees it. Astronomical knowledge is not a big thing with comics generally. But if I remember the Captain Britain/Dracula story correctly, Dracula's working with another vampire/sorceress character named Lillith who is continuously casting a spell to keep the vampires protected from the sun. So maybe they're just in a castle on the dark side of the moon to avoid getting fucked with by humans until they're ready to invade and seize the UK for their own, not because it's dark?

Though this makes me think of an old Alan Moore story in Swamp Thing where there are vampires at the bottom of a very deep lake where the sunlight is so weak that they can be continuously active and for the first time can actually reproduce...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 20, 2022, 08:42:23 AM

They have half naked space orcs with axes running around.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 20, 2022, 08:50:13 AM

Yeah. Star Wars makes so little sense in this respect that it almost makes sense, if you know what I mean.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #67 on: January 20, 2022, 10:15:37 AM

Every time I see the Gamorreans I'm awestruck by how dumb it is that anyone would have them as guards instead of dudes with guns.

It was especially funny this episode when a bunch of dudes with guns jumped out after the orcs got taken out.  Clearly you can afford to hire guys with guns.  Are the axe guys purely for decoration?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #68 on: January 20, 2022, 10:37:06 AM

That's fine, if the pigs with axes don't work there's always the Rancor pit trap door that everyone should have learned not to stand on after the first time someone got eaten.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 20, 2022, 11:34:54 AM

Every time I see the Gamorreans I'm awestruck by how dumb it is that anyone would have them as guards instead of dudes with guns.

It was especially funny this episode when a bunch of dudes with guns jumped out after the orcs got taken out.  Clearly you can afford to hire guys with guns.  Are the axe guys purely for decoration?
The Hutts probably learned from the cautionary tale of Jean-Baptiste Emannuel Zorg giving guns to his space orcs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+)  
Jump to: