Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Humankind 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Humankind  (Read 3712 times)
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2021, 08:42:10 PM

So, I looked around. but couldn't find a thread for this game.

https://humankind.game/

It look like Bid Meirs Bivilization to me, which is more or less what my gaming buddies and I want. I don't know what to expect from it, aside from that. Looks like it has some neat concepts, but then all these Civ-alikes do.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 09:41:49 PM

Been looking forward to this for awhile, as it's the single biggest attempt anybody has done to take on the Civilization series directly.  I recall in early interviews how they talked about development in the Civ series being very western narrative focused, and they wanted to show a different approach.  They've made a lot of enjoyable games in the past, and are going all out on this it seems, so have some high hopes.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 08:06:32 PM

I was pretty meh about Old World, which seemed ultimately like an uninspired attempt to graft Crusader Kings II into Civ IV. Just not all that appealing in actual gameplay.

We'll see with this one. I wish it the best, at any rate!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 10:25:07 PM

Another Day 1 XGP release so there's that at least.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 12:43:31 AM

I half like this so far, The little specific tweaks to the format are good. There is just one massive problem for me.

The Civ swapping as you, and by your opponents, as we age up throws me right out of the whole thing. I have zero attachment to being, the Greeks, or the Chinese, or the Iroquois as they march through the ages. And it sucks even more to be fighting a bitter war with the Romans, only they are the Mayans now. That great back and forth battle at the gates of Ravenna? What Ravenna. You didn't notice but it's Uxmal now.

It totally throws me out of the whole reason to play these games.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 12:30:29 PM

Yeah. That could work if you are a character who develops as a character and you're in a kind of dual-level battle with other characters like yourself. E.g., you're squaring off with five other immortal beings and all of you can use human civilizations like chess pieces and your success at doing that gains you advantage/levels/powers etc. in some other arena of conflict or competition beyond the human.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:09 PM

That already sounds cooler than what it is. How come you don't work in the games industry again? Are you THAT hung up about not being harassed, demeaned, and not treated like shit?  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 04:41:56 PM

I'm too busy having dumb ideas about how Marvel Universe shows should end that turn out to be wrong and worse than what they actually end up doing.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:40 PM

I half like this so far, The little specific tweaks to the format are good. There is just one massive problem for me.

The Civ swapping as you, and by your opponents, as we age up throws me right out of the whole thing. I have zero attachment to being, the Greeks, or the Chinese, or the Iroquois as they march through the ages. And it sucks even more to be fighting a bitter war with the Romans, only they are the Mayans now. That great back and forth battle at the gates of Ravenna? What Ravenna. You didn't notice but it's Uxmal now.

It's such a dumb idea I don't know how it got past a brainstorming session.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 08:28:18 PM

The concept of changing the focus of your civilization each era is a good one. Tying them to specific historical cultures not so much.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 08:05:24 AM

Yeah. The former idea is actually very appealing, so that the nature of the game changes a lot when you switch eras rather than when you move to the next X in 4X.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 11:16:20 PM

That already sounds cooler than what it is. How come you don't work in the games industry again? Are you THAT hung up about not being harassed, demeaned, and not treated like shit?  why so serious?

Its Crusader Kings (though more gameified)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 12:49:23 AM

It's not really supposed to be taken literally. I believe it's just supposed to be a representation of how drastically culture shifts over the periods of time you're dealing with in these sorts of games. It's an odd way to represent it, but the idea is just that there's no such thing as an empire that last 4000+ years, especially not one that would be clearly recognizable as the same culture it started as. It's a system they could probably refine well enough if they make sequels.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 03:16:27 PM

That sounds great, for like a discussion on a game forum. But when the rubber hits the road it turns out to be neither fun, nor engaging. Which is about as damning a thing as I can say about a game.

I want to like the idea, because it's cerebral and different, but when I actually sit to down to play the game, I want to do anything at all except continue. I can't recall a game concept that shut me out of the game so quickly and so thoroughly, well not one that was good intentioned anyways.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 03:32:46 AM

It's not really supposed to be taken literally. I believe it's just supposed to be a representation of how drastically culture shifts over the periods of time you're dealing with in these sorts of games. It's an odd way to represent it, but the idea is just that there's no such thing as an empire that last 4000+ years, especially not one that would be clearly recognizable as the same culture it started as. It's a system they could probably refine well enough if they make sequels.

It's dumb. It's like saying you should be forced to change class in a rpg against you will every five levels to simulate a "seven year itch" or some shit.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 07:47:18 AM

In theory you don't have to change every era (after picking your first). You get a "fame" bonus in the next era if you stick with your existing culture. I haven't played the game much (still struggling too much with the UI) but I'm guessing that's a sub-optimal strategy (the "legacy" traits from each culture are likely more powerful), but the option is there.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 01:34:06 PM

Even if you stay the same, your opponents all change anyways. No more "Oh no! The Japanese are invading again. God they are dicks this game." Or: "Goddam Alexander stole another wonder! Well let's see about how he likes this invasion of Athens I have in the works!" Everyone is just colors, and goofy looking Wii-verse avatars who periodically raid thier high school drama department for period appropriate attire.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 04:30:34 PM

Yeah, in a conventional Stellaris/Civ 4X, there's such satisfaction in taking an early-game enemy and fucking grinding them into powder or absorbing them. To have it constantly switch up in a way where "you" aren't stable either seems to miss the point. Game design idea in abstract trumps gameplay reality, I think.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 08:37:55 PM

Done two play throughs and I dig a lot of things about this game.  Still forming a final opinion, but will agree they maybe abstracted a few things they shouldn't have too much.  I do love a lot of the city/territory building approach they took to this, as well as their method to mitigate the always feel bad wonder sniping of Civ.  Combat is also pretty fun, but going to do a full on military play through next for the final verdict on that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Humankind  
Jump to: