Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Green Knight 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Green Knight  (Read 1545 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: August 01, 2021, 07:17:20 PM

I liked this a ton but I suspect it will be divisive among fantasy fans.

1. I wouldn't rush to see it if you aren't already or willing to be a bit familiar with the source material--this takes the allusive, mythopoetic mood of the 14th Century text and its later versions (including one by Tolkien) very seriously. It's not a narrative with character development, it's a story of an archetypical chivalric quest with a lot of mythic/archetypical material in it. At the root it's about uncertain youth striving to be worthy of knighthood despite temptations and fears.
2. I wouldn't rush to see it if you're really into literalism. There are going to be no explanations at all of a lot of what you're seeing.

The imagery is gorgeous and memorable, though. (It would be a great movie to see stoned, I think.) Also there's a really clever visual subtext that stretches this beyond medieval England by making Gawain and his maternal relatives into South Asians (in terms of costuming, some cultural elements, some imagery; not at all literally or even in terms of racialized casting beyond Dev Patel).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:34:05 PM by Khaldun »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:45:02 PM

Just out of curiosity, but when you watched it, was the movie very much on the quiet side?   We are running it with the volume cranked a decent bit above "normal" in our theater and still getting a fair bit of concern that it's just too quiet.  Though I am willing to bet at least 90% of the complaints are from people who are expecting Fast 9 levels of massive sound out of the mixing, which I know this movie just isn't going to do.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 01:26:53 AM

Blast the inception horn randomly over the theater speakers when showing it.  That should appease them!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 10:44:30 AM

It doesn't really have any Inception horn level sounds, so I get that people might just find it quiet. There's only a few really loud events/moments--I think the Green Knight's laugh as he rides out of the hall in the beginning, Gawain's shouting at the giants, a few scenes where Gawain is breathing heavily/panicked, and then there's some loud stuff in the ending where Gawain is living into his possible future. There isn't really even any swordplay to speak of until the ending part; the weather is mostly fog and mist and overcast moors, the dialogue is mostly on an even keel with very little strong emotion. I don't recall thinking that it seemed to have bad sound mixing or an issue with sound per se.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 04:24:40 PM

I watched this and I enjoyed watching it for the most part, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone necessarily.

I had no exposure to the stories of the green knight before, and I felt that after reading a bit about it later the movie makes a lot more sense. Which I think is a flaw of the movie, it assumes knowledge from the audience in order to understand what it is trying to do, rather than imparting that experience in itself. Even with just trivial things like relationship dynamics, it only tries to explain (non literally) when it is putting something new in, not when it is just playing off previous stories.

That's the biggest flaw. That and the egotistical monologue that's hammered in, and
It's ok, though, despite that.

No issues with sound for me, aside from some of the vocal effects that made it hard to make out what anyone was saying at times. I'm noticing that more and more generally though - I think the assumptions shows and movies are making about people's home sound setups might be a little high end.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 04:27:24 PM by lamaros »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Green Knight  
Jump to: