Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:47:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Snake Eyes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snake Eyes  (Read 3060 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: July 24, 2021, 12:57:14 PM

Technically Snake eyes origins, or Snake eyes gi joe origins? not sure. Not gonna try to talk anyone into seeing this but as a life long GI joe fan i loved every minute of it. It is a biased opinion based entirely on the fact that they apparently built a time machine and asked ten year old me what the perfect movie would be.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 03:22:55 PM

I didn't even realize this was coming out so soon.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 04:02:27 PM

Main complaint I've heard is that the all the action is edited terribly.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 05:38:52 PM

Wouldn't say horribly, but it's not as good as we've come to expect.

I am the .00000001428%
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 06:40:10 PM

I gave this movie a chance I really did.... but wow the fake Asian mysticism made me want to strangle someone by the end of this trash.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 10:57:28 AM

The problem with any Snake Eyes move is that Stormshadow is, like, way better.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 07:22:23 PM

I gave this movie a chance I really did.... but wow the fake Asian mysticism made me want to strangle someone by the end of this trash.

Clearly you've never read the source material.  why so serious?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 09:20:53 PM

Friend at work was actually really ticked that they chose an Asian guy to play Snake Eyes, since he's an old school GI Joe fan, and the classic character is supposed to be a whiter than cornbread blonde dude.   That and the fact that making an "origin story" movie about a character who's two most important character traits are "Never Speaks" and "Never Reveals His Face" just seems like a really stupid idea.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:18 AM

Clearly you've never read the source material.  why so serious?
Friend at work was actually really ticked that they chose an Asian guy to play Snake Eyes, since he's an old school GI Joe fan, and the classic character is supposed to be a whiter than cornbread blonde dude.   That and the fact that making an "origin story" movie about a character who's two most important character traits are "Never Speaks" and "Never Reveals His Face" just seems like a really stupid idea.

I don't get it, the important part of snake eyes background is that he's an outsider. He could be black, hispanic or any other flavor of asian, the only important thing he couldn't be is japanese. Asians are not interchangeable.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:30:24 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 09:03:06 PM

Friend at work was actually really ticked that they chose an Asian guy to play Snake Eyes, since he's an old school GI Joe fan, and the classic character is supposed to be a whiter than cornbread blonde dude.   That and the fact that making an "origin story" movie about a character who's two most important character traits are "Never Speaks" and "Never Reveals His Face" just seems like a really stupid idea.

If you read the comics, you know that him not speaking isn't by choice and is a direct result of his actions. This would be good if they redid the comics origin which tied Snake Eyes, Scarlet and Storm Shadow together and gave a very real reason for why Snake Eyes and Stormshadow were always at odds and why Stormshadow was in Cobra. (At least until a later retcon where he was undercover the entire time and not really evil.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 02:29:43 AM

I don't get it, the important part of snake eyes background is that he's an outsider. He could be black, hispanic or any other flavor of asian, the only important thing he couldn't be is japanese. Asians are not interchangeable.
Oh I get that.  It's just that some people get really hung up on the EXACT minutia and not the broader strokes.  To my work buddy, it wasn't that didn't fit the bill as an "outsider", it was that he literally wasn't "blonde, white, American Ninja" because that is who he is in the 80s TV series, so that is who he must always be.   It's just one of those conversations where you nod politely while internally rolling your eyes, and then move on, because it's not worth it to try to force the issue.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 03:53:19 AM

Clearly you've never read the source material.  why so serious?
Friend at work was actually really ticked that they chose an Asian guy to play Snake Eyes, since he's an old school GI Joe fan, and the classic character is supposed to be a whiter than cornbread blonde dude.   That and the fact that making an "origin story" movie about a character who's two most important character traits are "Never Speaks" and "Never Reveals His Face" just seems like a really stupid idea.

I don't get it, the important part of snake eyes background is that he's an outsider. He could be black, hispanic or any other flavor of asian, the only important thing he couldn't be is Japanese. Asians are not interchangeable.

In some ways I found this a bit worse then if they used a generic white boy because every time the movie went "oh hey how does snake eyes knows how to do that" the movie goes "because he is Asian." Which wouldn't be so bad if the movie didn't spend an an hour and thirty minutes in a karate dojo you know the type of setting where your suppose to learn how people do things. I mean fuck this movie.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:47:54 AM by MediumHigh »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 02:27:32 AM

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying as well.  I mean, in his original backstory, he is supposed to have a lot of covert ops military training and the like from being a serving member of the US military for a number of years before he does the whole "lets go train to be a Ninja" thing.   Turning him into a Magical Asian trope just so they can go "and that's why he's a great Ninja" seems to be an odd route to go.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 07:25:05 AM

I think the idea was that he was a badass because his dad was a , but they didn't really make that very clear.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Snake Eyes  
Jump to: