Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Tomorrow War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tomorrow War  (Read 4084 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: July 03, 2021, 02:56:06 PM

The introduction of the monsters/aliens was great, rest of the movie sucked. Specially the plot, resolution and action. Sam Richardson is very huggable.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 03:04:26 PM

But but face punching aliens!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 03:13:18 PM

It's bad tho.

I am the .00000001428%
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 04:01:56 PM

Agreed.  I was looking forward to this and it ...wasn't good.  Pratt did well with what he was given, but the tone was all over the place and by the end it just went off-the-rails stupid.

To me it felt like it was supposed to be a 4 or 6 part series, but after the first battle scene, they threw up their hands and said, "fuck it, wrap this thing in an hour"

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 09:25:11 PM

Don't watch this, it's completely terrible, and not in a campy way. Totally incoherent, yet entirely formulaic. I dunno how you manage that, but they did it, and the result is :blech:

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:05:32 AM

I had a Friday evening's included-with-Prime big-budget entertainment from it, and while I agree that overall it sucked, I'll note some good things.

Yvonne Strahovski played the colonel well, like it was a serious sci-fi drama with no corny lines. Hadn't seen her outside Handmaid's Tale before. Sam Richardson yes, but he wasn't really much to do. Beefed-up JK Simmons was wasted in his role. The sound was good on my speakers. I'm clutching at straws. The explanation for the small-team mission in the snow was pathetic.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 05:46:14 AM

Hadn't seen her outside Handmaid's Tale before.

Oh man, watch Chuck.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 01:13:23 PM

chuck just straight up worth watching
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 01:19:03 PM

I keep wanting to add a reaction emote on these posts like it's Discord.  why so serious?

But yes, definitely watch Chuck for Yvonne in all her incredible hotness, as well as just some decent fun. Also the last thing you ever need to see Adam Baldwin in.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:20 AM

Somebody here used to have a Yvonne Strahovski avatar, and it was so distracting that I literally stopped every time I was browsing posts and would just blankly stare at it for a few seconds.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 10:48:23 AM

Yeah I blocked that image through my ad blocker in case somebody walked past while reading at work.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 11:47:22 AM

Yeah movie was straight up bad in it's execution and ideas. The last bit of derp was the aliens attacking the last stand of humanity oil platform and swarms of them swimming and climbing up the walls. If humans had enough resources to build a walled city in the water, maybe they should have created flat walls at an incline so these very normal looking creatures couldn't walk up it.

The whole movie is that level of dumb.

Like these creatures couldn't be killed with bullets unless you hit them in certain spots. Except higher caliber bullets killed them later, so why couldn't we do that with helicopters?

Movie isn't worth thinking about this much anyway.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 04:45:55 PM

Terrible movie. There were so many "but why didn't they" moments throughout it, it was a complete and utter mess. I think the screenwriters may have watched Edge of Tomorrow, Aliens and Starship Troopers, and still not have understood why they were all brilliant films.

Between this and the recent shite Zombies in Las Vegas film, there should be a ban on Guardians of the Galaxy actors in anything but GotG.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 07:10:59 PM

The biggest why the fuck? was the entire concept of sending small arms infantry against monsters that were mostly immune to it. And while the monsters were scary against untrained civilians with useless weapons any real military would have carpet bombed them out of existence. Their main fucking weapon was barely better than a crossbow. Send some fucking drones through the stupid time portal instead of human snacks.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 07:25:03 PM

The biggest why the fuck? was the entire concept of sending small arms infantry against monsters that were mostly immune to it. And while the monsters were scary against untrained civilians with useless weapons any real military would have carpet bombed them out of existence. Their main fucking weapon was barely better than a crossbow. Send some fucking drones through the stupid time portal instead of human snacks.
Yeah, they should have been packing multi-round 40mm grenade launchers full of "beehive rounds" (essentially a big ass shotgun). You can't miss the sweet spot when you're putting lead everywhere in the general vicinity.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 07:52:20 PM

There was at no time in the entire movie where any of the technology made the slightest bit of sense, or even had the barest modicum of consistency. Even the fucking time travel wormhole thing made no sense. It can only work on a fixed point, and it's a tunnel from one point to the other but oh by the way, we somehow got to this exact moment without having an opening so... how the fuck did you even jump here? You have time travel, but you still rely on lead bullets that don't even tickle these things, your vehicles literally look like 2022 military vehicles with some Cybertruck accents. You use helicopters that look barely better than Iraq War things with drones that somehow don't show up until halfway through the movie, their jets are barely better than current gear. Just the entire aesthetic is so current modern and yet somehow 28 years in the future. No explanation for why the first jump is thrown off, it just happens because we need some conflict but then we never speak of it again. And holy shit, that last mission/set piece was just so utterly incoherent and unbelievable.

And yet you know it's a huge success and will get sequels because they were clearly trying to set up a universe in this thing.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 10:21:57 PM

Dunno, man. I haven't heard a single positive from anyone on this thing. And I don't mean a review, I mean nobody has said like a single positive thing that even merits a catch it when it hits the Walmart discount bin.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 06, 2021, 01:48:50 PM

If they've at least stuck to the suicide they STRONGLY hinted at instead of pussying out at the last second that would have at least been an interesting angle.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 06:45:44 PM

Dunno, man. I haven't heard a single positive from anyone on this thing. And I don't mean a review, I mean nobody has said like a single positive thing that even merits a catch it when it hits the Walmart discount bin.

Some of my RL friends like it, but they have a high tolerance for shitty sci-fi action.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 11:18:57 PM

If they've at least stuck to the suicide they STRONGLY hinted at instead of pussying out at the last second that would have at least been an interesting angle.

The common sense "suicide" is that he doesn't make it back, therefore he leaves her younger self. It could even being him dying when he takes on the momma big bad. It could have even been him setting off the bombs in the ship.

So many loose ends, and why did they even need the serum, given that explosives seemed to do the job on the alien ship.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 07:11:17 PM

So many loose ends, and why did they even need the serum, given that explosives seemed to do the job on the alien ship.

If the addition of troops from the past was just to buy them enough time to develop the serum, why didn't the people they sent in the past at least tell the higher ups in the military that someone would possibly be coming back with a serum?

The whole commando mission to prove the past ship existed because no one believed Chris Pratt was just incredibly stupid.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:22 PM

Jeff Bezos spends his money on a Sci Fi movie that I got to watch on a lazy, Sunday morning.  I was entertained.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Tomorrow War  
Jump to: