Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Lost Ark 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost Ark  (Read 22563 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: June 11, 2021, 09:30:58 PM

Finally coming to NA and Europe this year courtesy of, uh, Amazon Games.

https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/news/articles/amazon-games-to-launch-smilegate-rpgs-lost-ark-in-north-america-and-europe-2021

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us

Closed Alpha has begun. You can also buy your way into the Beta:

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/shop
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 05:21:46 AM

Fair warning, turns out we shouldn't have been waiting for it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 05:39:00 AM

*sees free to play and Korean in the same paragraph* Hard pass. All the good stuff will be paywalled and you'll need to spend about 10,000 hours to gain a single level.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 03:00:31 PM

Got into the closed Alpha. Hard pass. Way too many buttons to press for an ARPG. I don't mind a complex rotation in an MMO where I am moving with WASD, but clicking to move (and attack) while trying to juggle 8 skills plus an ultimate is just too much.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 04:37:03 AM

This is actually great. Turns out the wait was more than worth it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 04:38:09 AM

*sees free to play and Korean in the same paragraph* Hard pass. All the good stuff will be paywalled and you'll need to spend about 10,000 hours to gain a single level.

You are not wrong about this. In fact, you are 100% right. Endgame will be terrible, and when I'll put the game down.

Until that point though, and especially being free, it's a joy.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:33:52 PM

Game is pretty good imo for an ARPG/MMO. ARPG in the control scheme, MMO in the quest to end game then raid/dungeon/dailies type of thing.

No trinity. Basically DPS and two classes that are classified as support.

A typically class will have 8 Attacks with cooldowns that range from 8-20 seconds. Very little rotation involved. Mostly a 3 button combo and another 3 button combo to go with it. I hate a lot of button presses, I hate rotations, but this game does not have them at all. Plenty of pauses in action, at least in the start, where you're not spamming attacks non stop.

I think Rendakor may have picked Deadeye or Sharpshooter which is basically aids to play unless you like stance swap game play. Basically these two classes are similar, in that you have your normal 8 attacks with pistols, then you have a shot gun and a rifle stance with each stance having 4 attacks each with 10-20 second cooldowns.  No thanks.

Leveling is via questing. Questing gives you a majority of your XP so, as far as I know, you're not grinding mobs AT ALL to gain levels. I.e. a quest is 650xp and a mob is 4. Supposedly only doing the main questline will get you to max level. No real need to do side quests? But they're all in the same spot as you go through the game.

Combat/combos feel very weighty and visceral. On par with D3 I think, probably just a bit below it.

IMO well worth the wait. Supposedly leveling takes 12-24 hours to hit 50? I though I read that, though I really didn't dive deep.

Lots of systems in this game to build up your character.

I enjoyed the weekend of testing.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 05:41:26 PM

You are not wrong about this. In fact, you are 100% right. Endgame will be terrible, and when I'll put the game down.

Until that point though, and especially being free, it's a joy.

Actually it's wrong. The leveling isn't super gated by time at all. I just googled after my last post to make sure, most people are saying 16-20 hours of questing which isn't horrible at all.

From what I understand, the PVP is pretty equal across the board. Gear/stats don't carry over.

I think some cash shop stuff allows for buying near top level gear to catch up? Or something like that. Paying essentially allows you to farm gear faster if you really want to be at the top 1% of gearscore in the game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:51:54 PM

I hope you are right Draegan because I liked everything so far about Lost Ark and I am very hyped about it after the alpha. Knowing it will suck at endgame is the only thing that is keeping my excitement in check and while I did not do real research, I have read a lot of comments from people who played extensively in Korean and Russian servers confirming my biggest fears. Once again, I really hope you are right.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 07:07:21 AM

Which fears?

I haven't gone deep in looking up the end game. I mean it's all running dungeons and grind tiers of gear.

I saw this linked somewhere, seems like a total extensive guide on everything in the game:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oci4R6IkwiQoVhGH8IHwFIS33dVS7hQv2Z-sljRrmcE/edit#

I think the biggest grind, is grinding currency from dailies and all the nolifers just have a ton of alts that they do them on every day since the currency is account based. Not sure I really care about being top of the pack with PVE shit. I used to enjoy WOW plenty without being a hardcore raider.

Edit:
Did some actual reading. Looks like the end game is grinding mats/coin to upgrade gear that has a chance to fail. I don't see any reference to losing tiers though. Eh. I will probably never make it to that point anyway to care about it. Looks like cashshop gives you mats to use?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:11:50 AM by Draegan »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 11:33:13 AM

Those fears: endgame being RNG enhancements with a chance to fail rather than loot drops or harder challenges. Or harder challenges that can only be faced by grinding for weeks or paying money. In a way it's fine for me, that's when I drop a game and it has been fun anyway, but I can't pretend it's OK or a nice system just because it works with my gaming habits.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 08:47:31 PM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 02:38:34 PM

Everyone can get a free key easily (30min of watch time) from twitch for Lost Ark*, I highly recommend everyone give it a little bit of a spin, if nothing else just mess about with the training dummy area for various classes to see how it plays.

The story/VA is dog water, but this is a raidboss pve + very well balanced arena pvp game so who gives a shit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 09:03:04 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 04:08:59 PM

Thanks! Got a key via Twitch watching and it's downloading now. As an aside it took a while for the email with the key to show up -- at first I thought it had been eaten by a spam filter -- so give it some time if you don't see it immediately as well.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:30:22 AM

This game feels like a cross between TERA and Black Desert Online with a zoomed out view (though TERA you could play zoomed out pretty far). The graphics, to my surprise, are not as good as I was expecting them to be. TERA has/had better graphics and animations and that game came out 10 years ago. And BDO is of course the current benchmark in terms of its graphics and animations. Combat has a "choppy" feel to it more akin to TERA but stylistically is more like BDO's over-the-top abilities and effects. Lost Ark is also more like BDO where you are mostly fighting lots of weaker mobs at once vs TERA where you are fighting fewer stronger mobs more akin to EQ-style MMOs.

I've played through the first main story questline (just past the first "dungeon") on two classes so far -- Martial Artist/Soulfist and Gunner/Gunsligher -- and so far the game is kind of meh for me. I'm struggling with the controls a bit, I'm not used to the double row of hotkeys for skills, and there's something weird about input buffering (or lack thereof) that I can't figure out where sometimes I can activate a skill ahead of time while another attack is being performed and it will trigger and sometimes it will not. Even though I'm kind of lukewarm on the gameplay at the moment because Diablo IV has been delayed to 2023 (at least) I may still get this as something to mess around with occasionally for next year. I could just play BDO again but I find that one hard to play casually whereas I see Lost Ark being potentially more casual friendly.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:03 PM

Tried two more classes -- Assassin/Deathblade and Mage/Bard.

Deathblade is the one I like the most out of the 4 I've tried. Straightforward to play and control and lots of DPS.

Bard is so-so, definitely the lowest DPS of the 4 as expected from a support class but her "Identity" support skills (your ultimates, effectively, in this game) also take a long time to charge up, at least at low levels, so she's not all that useful as a support class either. At endgame, though, apparently a Bard is near-mandatory to do that content efficiently. It seems like it would be rough to level her up to max mostly solo.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 05:21:31 AM

I didn't play much during the beta, mostly to try to mechanics of the classes on the training dummy.

Thinking of eventually playing a Paladin or Gunblade or something completely out there as a Gunslinger/Deadeye. The combo swaps for the two gunners are kind fun, but I don't know if my fingers can handle it.

Also artierlist looks cool.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 09:25:23 PM

why so serious? that I took the time to do this tells you very sad things about my evening.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 07:25:27 PM

Early Access begins Tuesday, February 8th 9AM Pacific (5PM UTC). Preloading for everybody starts tomorrow, Monday, February 7th, same times.

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/launch-details
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 09:07:07 AM

Can't download Day -3 update from Steam. No Early Access for you!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 09:10:28 AM

So, the eternal question (while you have some time), why play this?

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 09:23:49 AM

It was an ARPG to play while I waited for Diablo 4. Now I don't know if I'm ever going to play Diablo 4 (maybe if it comes to Game Pass I will) but it's still something to fill that ARPG void in between other games that are more interesting at the time.

I've played other Korean MMOs "casually" like TERA and BDO so I'm very familiar with that style of game and loot crafting RNG and am fine with stopping before the pay to progress gets bad and you have to spend 10s of thousands of $ to progress your characters.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 10:05:37 AM

Finally unpacking.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 10:37:21 AM

Why not play it? Gameplay is satisfying and there's tons of content. Also if you like it that way, it's free.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 10:59:49 AM

I plan to check this out, but I am going to do something I rarely do, which is wait a month or so for the hub-bub to die down, and give the jutting metal edges a chance to be sanded down.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 11:07:28 AM

So, meaty question here: how much clicking?

Granted I wouldn't probably check this out until the new PoE league hits peak boredom for me.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 12:29:57 PM

I plan to check this out, but I am going to do something I rarely do, which is wait a month or so for the hub-bub to die down, and give the jutting metal edges a chance to be sanded down.
The servers themselves seem pretty stable right now though I am on the least populated NA West server right now and it’s early access so not peak populations yet. And the game itself is 3 years old so that aspect is solid, unlike, say, New World.

So, meaty question here: how much clicking?
The normal amount? You can hold the buttons down to continuously move and / or attack so you don’t need to constantly click.

Edit: also mouse button is just for basic attacks. Your real attacks are bound to keys and depending on your (sub)class and skill cooldowns you may rarely need to do a basic mouse button attack.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:33:24 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 12:32:12 PM

It was an ARPG to play while I waited for Diablo 4. Now I don't know if I'm ever going to play Diablo 4 (maybe if it comes to Game Pass I will) but it's still something to fill that ARPG void in between other games that are more interesting at the time.

I've played other Korean MMOs "casually" like TERA and BDO so I'm very familiar with that style of game and loot crafting RNG and am fine with stopping before the pay to progress gets bad and you have to spend 10s of thousands of $ to progress your characters.

ok if i may

hard to call it an arpg since it has no actual loot

but more importantly, we can all see what you bought on steam
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 12:33:50 PM

awesome, for real
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 12:54:34 PM

The servers themselves seem pretty stable right now though I am on the least populated NA West server right now and it’s early access so not peak populations yet. And the game itself is 3 years old so that aspect is solid, unlike, say, New World.
The game is F2P so things will likely get pretty crazy over the weekend. We'll see how bad the queues / server crashes / etc. get. You still might want to download and setup a few characters so you get some names locked in sooner rather than later, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 01:47:36 PM

oh no

it has loot
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 10:12:43 PM

So what's the monetisation hidden away in the background? I see founders packs, but surely that's not where the money is rolling in from.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 10:59:07 PM

"Royal Crystal" is bought with real world money. Some of the founders packs also come with some. Royal Crystals are used to buy most things in the in-game store. The store has all the standard (Asian) MMO items, cosmetics, pay to progress items, loot boxes, extra character slots, character (re)customization vouchers, etc.

Confusingly there's a separate premium currency called "Crystal" which many people call "Blue Crystal" to distinguish it from Royal Crystal since they have a blue crystal icon (vs the rainbow colored Royal Crystal icon). Blue Crystal is used to buy some of the limited items in the shop. Royal Crystal can be exchanged directly for (Blue) Crystal.

You can also exchange Gold, yet another premium currency you earn in-game, for both Royal and Blue Crystal, through the AH currency exchange, so in theory you don't have to spend any real-world money to buy things in the store if you can figure out how to earn Gold.

The nominal exchange rate, using the 30-day "Crystalline Aura" benefit, which is their "x days subscriber" benefits equivalent as the benchmark has the following 3 costs:

$9.99
1000 Royal Crystals, which cost $9.99
420 (Blue) Crystals

Here's a summary: https://us.millenium.gg/guide/26255.html

Note that blurb about Royal Crystals being the only currency in the store is false for the Amazon published version of the game (it may be true for the other regions).
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 11:10:47 PM

Thanks - sounds like Guild Wars but with a few more options. I don't mind that, far better than a game like WoW or EvE with a sub

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #34 on: February 09, 2022, 10:27:12 AM

Thanks for the currency guide link.   I got a Pally to lvl 20 last night.  I paid for the $25 dollars thingy cause I am sure I can at least get 25 bucks O fun out of this.   To say the amount of information, currencies, items, character only, account only,  information flowing at me was overwhelming is an understatement.  I guess the bar for this type of stuff has seriously moved since I last paid attention?  

I have yet to take my founders box because most of the stuff is only attached to one character and I haven't decided between Pally and Sorc.

It looks nice enough, skills feel good, but I can't help that sinking feeling that I am a sucker and in about a month I will be uninstalling.

*edit* 15 different in game currencies  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:29:35 AM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Lost Ark  
Jump to: