Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon Forbidden West 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horizon Forbidden West  (Read 8204 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 27, 2021, 02:43:47 PM

Gameplay reveal (some mild spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQATS4HOxdo

Edit: replace with newer video of just the presentation

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:16:02 PM by Trippy »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 03:56:35 PM

Well I'm in... if I ever get a PS5.

I like the fact that Aloi actually looks older than in the first game...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 04:11:11 PM

Yeah that's the game I'll be trying to get a PS5 for. Racket & Clank looks amazing but that's also type of game I rarely get very far in and H:ZD I loved and finished (but not the DLC, yet).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:26:41 AM

Given the events in supply over the past year, I'm probably on the PS5 Pro timeline at best. Hopefully a PC port (a proper port) comes out earlier! It's going to be pretty difficult to not be able to play the new one for that long, though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 04:29:36 PM

I can wait for the PC port, but it looks great!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 01:21:30 AM

This was always gonna be a day one grab for me. Seeing the gameplay in the ruins of SF? More sold. I'll buy some copies for friends.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 07:07:48 PM

Release date: February 18, 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRkPOU0HzE
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 10:12:48 PM

Now, if only they would set the release date for, you know, actual PS5 consoles.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:24 AM

I've bought 4 of them so far.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:55:01 AM

The only way to get them over here is to wait in a line of thousands and pay more than a thousand dollars from an actual store, or buy them second hand from scalpers for roughly the same price.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 06:38:39 AM

psfuckthat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 10:10:56 AM

Not quite sure why Sony continues this same shitshow PS version after version. You'd think they'd have figured out how to limit the number of units sold to an actual person and weed out the bots. Oh well... the wheel keeps spinning.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 11:24:34 AM

I'm actually happy about the ps5 shortage/scalp stuff, in retrospect. I'd want the PS5 Pro version anyway, and Sony put stuff on the PC, on Steam, no less.

I'd rather not have overpaid for a pre-built, but it's nice to be blissfully uncaring about all the nonsense, now.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 11:28:06 AM

Not quite sure why Sony continues this same shitshow PS version after version. You'd think they'd have figured out how to limit the number of units sold to an actual person and weed out the bots. Oh well... the wheel keeps spinning.
Why would they? There is no financial incentive for them to do so.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 01:14:27 AM

Well, except for what Sky said.  Every console generation there are fewer and fewer reasons to actually buy a console.  Sony being forced to put their stuff out on PC will make me less likely to buy a PS5, as will this bullshit scalping.  I don’t think I am completely alone in my thinking that Playstation is in danger of entering the same brand space as Xbox…i.e. a console that I don’t give a shit about and will never buy again.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 11:32:29 AM

Yes, and this is less of a Sony problem than it is individual retailers problem. And they have absolutely no financial incentive to figure out how to stop the bot armies from buying up all the product. From their perspective, a paying customer is just that. Where the hardware goes once it's paid for is just not their concern, especially since most people will just blame Sony anyway.

Part of the problem isn't just a Sony issue - the global pandemic has fucked the supply chain for chips of all types, which has been felt in everything from new cars, to appliances to Nvidia cards. I also think there is some deliberate manipulation going on from China's end that is using the pandemic as an excuse.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2021, 11:48:19 AM

The incentive to get the systems directly to customers over scaplers is that scalpers don't buy games which is where the actual money is getting made for Sony, retailers, publishers/developers.

Modify: That said, in the US at least I don't think it's that hard to get one. The queues for Sony's online store when they have some to sell has been pretty painless for me. Beyond that it's just a matter of following someone on twitter who posts whenever Sony is about to have another sale.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:51:09 AM by Velorath »
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2021, 12:06:01 PM

The incentive to get the systems directly to customers over scaplers is that scalpers don't buy games which is where the actual money is getting made for Sony, retailers, publishers/developers.

Modify: That said, in the US at least I don't think it's that hard to get one. The queues for Sony's online store when they have some to sell has been pretty painless for me. Beyond that it's just a matter of following someone on twitter who posts whenever Sony is about to have another sale.

Not that hard to get one in the US? I haven't found one at retail since they released the console. Granted, I don't follow Twitter or any other tracker nor should I have to. Limit scalpers and bots and I assume the availability would be way better than it is or wil be in the foreseeable future. Supplies being limited at this point are due to the simple fact that the bot farms have harvested all the hardware and have marked it up for profit.

I can't see a company being ok with all their product being bought out and then resold at a huge mark up. Sure, the company got the retail cost for the item, but a whole lot of scalpers are making a pretty penny off the back of Sony. Been happening since the PS3 from my memory and 0 effort to change that which is disappointing. I know car companies will blackball you from buying their cars/trucks if you buy out a certain model and sell it at a profit, Porsche is famous for doing that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2021, 12:19:30 PM

Whoever buys the system (and clearly they are still buying systems, even from the scalpers) is going to buy games at some point.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 01:13:07 PM

Whoever buys the system (and clearly they are still buying systems, even from the scalpers) is going to buy games at some point.

I've you had to pay several hundred extra for the system, you're probably not going to drop as much on games as you normally might.

Not that hard to get one in the US? I haven't found one at retail since they released the console. Granted, I don't follow Twitter or any other tracker nor should I have to. Limit scalpers and bots and I assume the availability would be way better than it is or wil be in the foreseeable future. Supplies being limited at this point are due to the simple fact that the bot farms have harvested all the hardware and have marked it up for profit.

Twitter is the only social media thing I'm on and Wario64 is worth following in general because he mostly posts video game deals. Like I said, I've managed to get a few of them now, and while I'd like to think I'm just the luckiest guy in the universe, the truth is that it doesn't really take that much effort. It's certainly nowhere near as hard as getting a 3070 or 3080 outside of buying a new PC.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 01:27:05 PM

It's a console, and you are not the typical user. Most of the people who buy one (over say a PC) do so because it's "turn on machine, play game" without any of the hassle of owning/operating/maintaining a PC. If effort is more than "put in cart (whether real or virtual), pay at checkout, take home/receive at home" it's more trouble than its worth.

As for buying fewer games, maybe when you buy the console you only buy 1 game instead of 2, or no extra controllers or whatever. But that's not what retailers are banking on - they are banking on the lifecycle of the console, which is 3-7 years? You'll buy a decent amount of games over that time, no matter how much you paid for the console. The retailers clearly don't see the need (or have the technical expertise) to figure out how to stop the bot swarms. Dollars to donuts, if it was really costing Amazon anything, they'd have a team dedicated to doing nothing but killing every bot swarm that hit them.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 03:29:11 PM

It's a console, and you are not the typical user.

Nobody on this board is a typical user, and I can't imagine everyone here complaining about scalpers is doing so because they're trying to be the champions of the common folk all of a sudden. I'd be happy to try and get PS5's for people here that wanted them but shipping would be more of a hassle than I would want to deal with since I don't think I can change the shipping address when buying a system from Sony online.

Typical users also don't usually go out and buy a $500 console in the first year of it's life cycle to play the what...  5 exclusive games the system currently has (Astro's Playland, Demons Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal, and Sackboy)? Typical users aren't the ones complaining they can't get a PS5 right now. I can understand if people don't feel it's worth putting more than the absolute minimal amount of effort into getting one, it just seems odd to then complain that they can't get one because of scalpers.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 12:05:22 PM

Sony is not neutral to scalpers as many users who are not hardcore who would have happily bought a PS5, ended up settling for an XBOX S after having to wait too long. Each one of those is a customer lost until the next generation and maybe more. I personally know two of them, and I don't know many humans to begin with.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2021, 05:57:50 PM

I can't see a company being ok with all their product being bought out and then resold at a huge mark up. Sure, the company got the retail cost for the item, but a whole lot of scalpers are making a pretty penny off the back of Sony. Been happening since the PS3 from my memory and 0 effort to change that which is disappointing. I know car companies will blackball you from buying their cars/trucks if you buy out a certain model and sell it at a profit, Porsche is famous for doing that.
I'm not sure how you get from "This has been happening since the PS3" to "Sony is not ok with it" since, as you suggest, it is simply a matter of limiting bots/scalpers to fix. It's like the problem of Evil; either Sony can stop it and doesn't (because they don't care where the sales go), or this is a harder problem to solve than just handwaving "limit the bots".

I'm assuming the former, because Scalpers are eventually reselling them to actual humans and not ripping them apart to use the chips for bitcoin mining. Scalping will stop happening the moment the profit for reselling dries up, period. Right now, more people want (and are willing to pay a premium for) a PS5 than Sony is able to produce. Those people who are willing to pay an extra $100 (or whatever markup is being instituted) are going to be more than willing to buy whatever else they want for their PS5; they have plenty of disposable income. And as Vel said, it's not really that difficult to get one if you are willing to put in a tiny amount of work. Or, buy a scalped one on eBay.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 07:30:45 AM

I can't imagine everyone here complaining about scalpers is doing so because they're trying to be the champions of the common folk all of a sudden.
I find your imagination lacking, then. I'm not exactly a fan of vulture capitalism.

Typical users also don't usually go out and buy a $500 console in the first year of it's life cycle
Don't have kids, eh?

I don’t think I am completely alone in my thinking that Playstation is in danger of entering the same brand space as Xbox…i.e. a console that I don’t give a shit about and will never buy again.
I do need my ps4pro for discs and streaming some stuff at 4k (prime doesn't seem to like 4k through a browser).

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:28 AM

I can't imagine everyone here complaining about scalpers is doing so because they're trying to be the champions of the common folk all of a sudden.
I find your imagination lacking, then. I'm not exactly a fan of vulture capitalism.

Typical users also don't usually go out and buy a $500 console in the first year of it's life cycle
Don't have kids, eh?

You got me. “Scalpers are preventing spoiled kids from getting the new consoles at launch!” ranks pretty damn low on my list of concerns, it’s true. Even dressing it up as vulture capitalism, it’s probably the absolute least concerning form of that. Having to put a small amount of effort into getting a PS5 is the first worldiest of first world problems.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 10:53:50 AM

swamp poop

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 30, 2021, 01:59:05 PM

I kind of swing the other way from the same point. Which is to say that this is one example of manipulated scarcity and what Michael Heller and James Salzman call faulty "ownership design" in our current economy that would be relatively easy to solve in a variety of ways by manufacturers, retailers or by policy/legal reform. If PS5 scalping is the most immediate way you encounter it, fine; the point is to come to recognize that PS5 scalping is one manifestation of a kind of behavior that is accelerating across the global economy. Probably the largest-scale form of it that is the most destructive is hedge funds/big financial firms buying up massive amounts of property and sitting on it to use for a variety of purposes (tax writeoffs, sophisticated global money laundering, raising the value of real estate investments by taking some of it out of circulation or just doing AirB&B rentals, etc.), because that's starting to seriously affect the future prospects of people under 40 in the US and elsewhere. (There was a great investigation by a photojournalist last year who talked her way into being shown ultra-rich properties built in Manhattan over the last ten years as if she was a potential buyer, and she discovered what most people outside the industry had suspected: most of what's been built is both owned and vacant--there are whole ultra-deluxe buildings that are nearly empty but also nearly entirely bought.)

So go ahead and get mad at PS5 scalping: it's a small potent piece of something thoroughly rotten corroding the entire global economy.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #28 on: February 19, 2022, 09:40:43 PM

This is good.

Too much, "lets give people new to the franchise a crash course in the lore" in the beginning, but once you're out of the starter areas, holy shit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 20, 2022, 07:34:44 PM

Yeah I'm not very far yet, obviously, but the game is great. It boggles my mind that the game is getting many relatively low review scores right now. E.g. Digital Trends gave it an 8/10 despite saying "Horizon Forbidden West improves on just about every aspect of its predecessor with better combat, machines, and traversal" and giving Horizon Zero Dawn a 9/10. Does not compute.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: February 20, 2022, 07:43:35 PM

Yeah I'm not very far yet, obviously, but the game is great. It boggles my mind that the game is getting many relatively low review scores right now. E.g. Digital Trends gave it an 8/10 despite saying "Horizon Forbidden West improves on just about every aspect of its predecessor with better combat, machines, and traversal" and giving Horizon Zero Dawn a 9/10. Does not compute.

Different reviewers. Zero Dawn is 89 on Metacritic and Forbidden West is currently at 88, so "relatively low review scores" might just be slight exaggeration.

I'll pick this up at some point, but with Elden Ring coming in 5 days now I'll be going with that first.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 07:52:51 PM

Different reviewers.
Yes, shouldn't matter though.

Zero Dawn is 89 on Metacritic and Forbidden West is currently at 88, so "relatively low review scores" might just be slight exaggeration.

I'll pick this up at some point, but with Elden Ring coming in 5 days now I'll be going with that first.
That's what the "relatively" meant. The reviews that I've looked at so far in the 8 range all say the game is better than the original but are still giving it 8/10 or lower. Makes no sense -- it should be scoring higher than the original but isn't.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 08:00:17 PM

Different reviewers.
Yes, shouldn't matter though.

Zero Dawn is 89 on Metacritic and Forbidden West is currently at 88, so "relatively low review scores" might just be slight exaggeration.

That's what the "relatively" meant. The reviews that I've looked at so far in the 8 range all say the game is better than the original but are still giving it 8/10 or lower. Makes no sense -- it should be scoring higher than the original but isn't.

It absolutely should matter if it was a different reviewer. Reviewers should give it the score they think it deserves, not be beholden to the score someone else on the same site gave the previous game in the franchise 5 years ago.

Also a new franchise coming on strong right out of the gate maybe impresses people more than a sequel coming out 5 years later and being a bit better than the original.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 12:35:58 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 12:36:21 PM

horizon is the outer worlds of disco elysium
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon Forbidden West  
Jump to: