Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Eternals 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eternals  (Read 20936 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 25, 2022, 09:25:45 AM

I like her intensity and excitement at getting to fight Ikaris where Jolie manages to get across very clearly that her character has been thinking about who would win for centuries.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #106 on: January 25, 2022, 07:22:08 PM

They really did have too many characters to give any of them enough depth to fill a thimble.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 26, 2022, 10:51:26 AM

I do find that some of them are kind of memorable. Thena has immortal's Alzheimers; Gilgamesh takes care of her and is big and strong. Druig is the mind-controlling cult angry guy. Ikaris is the eyebeam guy played by Robb Stark who turns out to be a treacherous cunt. There's the guy who makes machines. There's, um, the one who doesn't grow up.

The odd thing is that I can barely remember Sersi at all and she's got tons of screen time. And I have to really work to remember Selma Hayek despite all of them saying she's important. I barely remember Makkari and I barely remember the guy who is the Bollywood actor--they just don't register as characters despite having defining schticks or a significant scene or two.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #108 on: February 20, 2022, 02:34:16 PM

Finally saw this and thought it was a snore (watched Edge of Tomorrow directly after to palate cleanse).

Besides too many characters, a lot of the powers were just kinda stupid.  Pew-Pew Shooty Hands, Punchy Hands, wound healing, etc.  If you are basically a god custom making these bots, why not just give each of them all the powers?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 20, 2022, 07:01:13 PM

Yeah. In the comics, all the Eternals (who are not androids or whatever, they're just genetically altered humans who are effectively immortal) have the same baseline powers: they're all strong, I think all of them can fly, they all have some kind of energy manipulation, they're all immortal. For the most part if they have extra powers it's because they're immortal and have spent time focusing on that baseline to add more--Sersi's learned to do matter manipulation, Druig has learned to manipulate minds, Phastos is just a genius with technology, Makkari has invested his mental energies in speed, Ikaris has built up his strength. It's less "I made them this way" and more "After 5,000 years of Genetically Perfected Peleton Training".
schild
Administrator

Reply #110 on: February 20, 2022, 09:22:53 PM

"After 5,000 years of Genetically Perfected Peleton Training"

this would've been a better movie
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 21, 2022, 01:15:37 AM

They really did have too many characters to give any of them enough depth to fill a thimble.

You say that, but the film makes it abundantly clear that everyone except Robb Stark and Cersei are side plots.

I think the main issues are that Stark is an unrelatable asshole, and Sersi lacks any personality or characterisation once we stop following the other cooler Sersi who was living her best life in London. Fix those two characters and the side quest gang wouldn't matter so much.

I liked the Bollywood guy though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 21, 2022, 06:08:06 AM

Sersi in the comics is a party-hard bon vivant who travels all over and is perfectly happy to play at being a menacing sorceress when it suits her to do so. Ikaris is a boring stiff in the comics, so they got that much right, but yeah, basically having both Sersi and Ikaris be boring, muted, etc. just killed the film's energy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Eternals  
Jump to: