Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gallipoli (miniseries not film) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gallipoli (miniseries not film)  (Read 1471 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

on: April 26, 2021, 10:59:12 PM

I'm not even sure it's on Netflix outside of Australia, but this is an outstanding take of the ANZACS at Gallipoli. Nods to the ineptitude of WW1 generals (and the UK comes in for a pasting as it always does on this topic), but a lot of the series had me reaching for the history books.

It's part of our heritage as Aussies and New Zealanders, but I became jaded with the mythos created by the politicians over the years. This series is a excellent take on the horrors of WW1. And yes, there are parts where you know just why it has a MA  rating. Great representation of the Turkish soldiers as well. It left the Peter Weir/Mel Gibson film for dead.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:16:02 AM

It's available on Amazon and IMDB TV in the U.S. although you have to watch it with ads. Haven't watched it myself but my dad watched it few months back and enjoyed it.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:29:00 AM

If this is the one from 2015, I also recommend it.  There might be some local bias as film producers really go after the British Generals but they deserved it.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:52:33 AM

I should watch this. There was an interesting debate a few years back among historians that pointed out that while Australian and NZ soldiers began staging informal memorials for the dead from the campaign, the idea that they had been sacrificed needlessly by British military leaders who saw them as expendable was on a slower burn; it wasn't until the late 1920s that there were government-organized memorials on what became ANZACS Day and some sense that the battle represented a divergence in Austrialian and NZ identity from the UK, and it really wasn't until the 1970s that the idea that the ANZACS had been treated as expendable became widespread (and the Weir/Gibson flick, along with the film Breaker Morant, really cemented that).
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:09:43 AM

I should watch this. There was an interesting debate a few years back among historians that pointed out that while Australian and NZ soldiers began staging informal memorials for the dead from the campaign, the idea that they had been sacrificed needlessly by British military leaders who saw them as expendable was on a slower burn; it wasn't until the late 1920s that there were government-organized memorials on what became ANZACS Day and some sense that the battle represented a divergence in Austrialian and NZ identity from the UK, and it really wasn't until the 1970s that the idea that the ANZACS had been treated as expendable became widespread (and the Weir/Gibson flick, along with the film Breaker Morant, really cemented that).

It wasn't just the ANAZACS, everyone was considered expendable.  There were some indications from the American Civil War that trench warfare was what the future held, no country in Europe was training their leadership to understand the implications and change tactics.  The Battle of the Somme (the first one) was a meat grinder with 57,000 British casualties on day 1.  The Generals didn't have a clue about how to overcome defenders advantage in the age of the machine gun and after five months of offensives the British has over 400,000 causalities. 

If you like World War 1 history,  Amazon Prime has a lot of good documentaries to watch.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 10:14:03 AM

Off to a good start where it does away with the myth that April 25th was some sort of Omaha Beach prequel.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gallipoli (miniseries not film)  
Jump to: