Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Queen's Gambit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Queen's Gambit  (Read 1988 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

on: March 31, 2021, 06:49:06 AM

I'm not a chess player. I've tried, but can't really get my head around the long game. But damn this series made me want to give it another go. Absolutely stellar cast, amazing writing and direction, the setting, the music - I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I'm putting it at the top of mini-series that I would happily watch again. Actually, I have to watch the last two episodes as my wife went to bed and I stayed up and binged instead of watching it together.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:02:58 PM

Agree. This is one that stayed with me. Wife and I watched it together and both thought it was excellent.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 07:08:53 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:22:30 AM

I've always said that anime as a rule basically does not have the concept of a "story".  The fact that someone can cite the most absolute basic elements of a plot (there is a protagonist and they overcome challenges) and see it as something unique to some narrow anime genre is strong evidence of my theory.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 07:42:05 AM

Damn, here was me thinking it was based on a novel written in 1983 by Walter Trevis. I wonder if he also used anime to inspire his writing of The Hustler in 1959 and Colour of Money in 1984.

What a terrible analysis - but yeah, Reddit.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 07:49:58 AM

There was a deeper one I saw the other day about how it's a tournament battle with various gimmicky opponents, didn't have time to find it this morning.  For the record, I also loved this show.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 05:35:16 PM

Add me to the list- loved it. Would like to see other niche sports/activities get this sort of treatment.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 10:28:20 AM

Add me to the list- loved it. Would like to see other niche sports/activities get this sort of treatment.

The cute redhead as the protagonist treatment?

I am all down for that too.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 05:28:53 PM

That absolutely works for me as well!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Queen's Gambit  
Jump to: