Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Midnight Sky (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Midnight Sky (Netflix)  (Read 2020 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: March 14, 2021, 04:30:05 AM

Unexpectedly, I loved this movie. I had avoided it until now, because its reviews average 5 or 6 out of 10. That's because people found it long and slow, or unrealistic.

So be prepared to commit to long, beautiful sequences, and be determined to suspend disbelief. If you really look at the reviews, there are lots of good ones from people who appreciated it, among the bad ones from people with short attention spans or a beef about physics.

One reviewer I trust, talking about George Clooney (who directed and stars in this $100m movie), recently said "I actually really liked The Midnight Sky", so I decided to give it a go.

The plot should not have any spoilers, so I'll say just this: it's a sci-fi movie involving Earth and a spaceship. Something very bad has happened to Earth.

P.S. I found that I was able to guess several major plot points before they happened, but they happened so beautifully that I didn't mind at all.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 06:01:12 PM

I was all set to watch this, saw a great review in the WaPo, and then I saw a bunch of people shitting on it online so I changed my mind. I'll give it a try based on this. Thanks.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 06:22:17 PM

Its OK. I wouldn't call it an amazing movie or really even one that is all that good. But its not going to make you think it had wasted your time.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:18:56 PM

Hmm, yeah.  It felt very similar to all the other slow sad sc-fi/post-apoc movies on Netflix.  Wasn't bad, but didn't really do anything for me (personally) either.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:00:45 PM

I fell asleep less than an hour into it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:57:05 PM

That's not my fault.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:11 PM

I fell asleep watching The Return of the King last night.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Midnight Sky (Netflix)  
Jump to: