Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:40:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3  (Read 24581 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: February 15, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Super long and detailed review for those who have played the previous games. Spoils some prologue / tutorial cut scenes but you can FF through them.

https://youtu.be/ZRJo3R3ANsw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: February 15, 2022, 05:52:09 PM

If you wait long enough it'll be cheaper but if you want to play as Ogres you might as well get it now I think.

25% off both will probably be a while.

Or just play the game on XGP. You won't get the Ogres, but you know... you won't have to pay for the game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #72 on: February 15, 2022, 07:39:35 PM

But I already have I & II on Steam (+most of the DLC) and the Xbox store doesn't have either, even for purchase. So yeah I can try out III on Game Pass or just buy it now or later on Steam since I have to have it there in any case if I want to play III's Mortal Empires.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 16, 2022, 02:24:40 AM

If you wait long enough it'll be cheaper but if you want to play as Ogres you might as well get it now I think.

Or just play the game on XGP. You won't get the Ogres, but you know... you won't have to pay for the game.

The problem with gamepass is that you are effectively getting a big demo, not a full game.

Which is all anyone is getting on release. Until the full campaign is released the mini campaign it starts with kind of misses the point.

The whole point of this game is to play in a massively overengineered sandbox of 20 or more fully realised warhammer factions.

So the question is whether to preorder now, and get Ogres. Ahead of the full functionality coming into the game in what might be six months.

Which you can't do if your copy doesn't integrate with DLC.

One thing I do worry about with this game is that I don't think the base offering is attractive enough to new players. So as someone who would buy *a lot* of DLC for this, I kind of worry it might not attract the audience I'd like it to, to support my DLC habit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 16, 2022, 08:29:36 PM

One thing I do worry about with this game is that I don't think the base offering is attractive enough to new players. So as someone who would buy *a lot* of DLC for this, I kind of worry it might not attract the audience I'd like it to, to support my DLC habit.

Wot?

Has 8 factions and 12 LL's with different mechanics [more than any other Warhammer release I might add].

If you aren't attracted to that then you might just not like strategy games, in which case the scrubs can go back to whatever bandwagon they were on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:32:06 PM by Meester »
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 16, 2022, 08:31:27 PM

[Gee if only I could delete posts]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:33:44 PM by Meester »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 17, 2022, 04:38:16 PM

Ogres are fun, something I've never thought about monstrous infantry before. Their absurd mass really helps push them in/out of melee.

And the new minor settlement maps are fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:14:53 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #77 on: February 18, 2022, 11:27:04 AM

I just dove into this a bit last night and agree that I'm not a fan of the new campaign.  I'm trying out Cathay because I liked the idea of their gameplay, but I don't know if I'll play it to completion.  Might also just wait for the combined campaign whenever that comes out.  My starting legendary lord doesn't seem to have any unique equipment, which I find really odd.  The new sieges are interesting, at least!
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 18, 2022, 05:03:39 PM

You can get ogres on XGP for free: https://www.totalwar.com/ogrekingdoms/

As for the game. Pretty great. Some UI issues. But i like the campaign a LOT better than the nexus campaign. Its kind of unobtrusive and a side thing to do, you're not really limited in how or where to do it (for a variety of reasons) and it encourages interactions between factions even if they start far away

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 19, 2022, 07:21:01 PM

I just dove into this a bit last night and agree that I'm not a fan of the new campaign.  I'm trying out Cathay because I liked the idea of their gameplay, but I don't know if I'll play it to completion.  Might also just wait for the combined campaign whenever that comes out.  My starting legendary lord doesn't seem to have any unique equipment, which I find really odd.  The new sieges are interesting, at least!

You can actually edit the rifts out if you are willing to do a bit of jiggery pokery.

If another race gets to the Forge of Souls you can actually stop them.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 24, 2022, 03:48:25 AM

I am liking the new campaign more now I'm further into it.

It really dominates your planning, but all you really need is one good army to dedicate to it, and enough territory to support that army and defend your shit.

I quite like the lack of a need to murder everyone on the map. Means I feel more able to experiment with the armies that are not doing the chaos expeditions.

That said, it is super unlikely I would play it again if the main map was available.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #81 on: February 24, 2022, 06:11:41 AM

The ideal way to play the game is to run through Slaanesh's realm a bunch of times and accept all of the rewards there while ignoring the actual objectives.  If you never proceed, the rift armies will choke on a basic garrison or you can have agents run around nuking the rifts as they pop up.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 25, 2022, 02:00:46 AM

To a point. You only get an opportunity to go in once every 30 turns. And you need four runs to get the souls to win.

I think the best plan is probably go into Slaanesh on the first cycle, ideally pick up the Slaanesh blade plus personal sycophant from the final portal, then start doing the souls after that. Means the campaign will run to around turn 160 even then.

If you go for Slaanesh loot more often than that you are probably going to need a domination victory and then it is probably quicker to be using the rifts to teleport to other factions so you can kill them, rather than heading into the chaos realm.

I vaguely plan to play Skarbrand that way on a second play through.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:02:50 AM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 29, 2022, 04:30:41 PM

New patch/dlc announcements today.

Just incremental fix patches until at least August.

Then the main 'immortal empires' campaign by the end of Q3 (described as 'beta'), for owners of all three games.

That update will come with a lord pack - I would guess Monkey King vs Changeling, and a Chaos Warriors rework.

Then more vague undisclosed updates in q4.

The internet is a bit angry about how long it is taking but honestly this is about what was expected.

I'm surprised there was no chaos dwarf announcement - but we are where we are.

Would still recommend WH2 over this till August at least.

Edit :

New trailer for the full campaign.
https://youtu.be/eAuMUWYcSHc
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:35:32 AM by eldaec »

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 21, 2022, 09:48:36 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #85 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:24 PM

Look at all that territory you will never see in any one game ever.  why so serious?

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 23, 2022, 10:43:45 AM

Total War WARHAMMER III - Champions of Chaos: Azazel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ea7Y6ACOo

Immortal Empires Dedicated Factions - https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-ie-dedicated-factions/

Introducing the Champions of Chaos - https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-introducing-the-coc/

Immortal Empires Race Updates - https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-ie-race-updates/

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 05, 2022, 01:07:58 PM

Festus the Leechlord - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh49KKpbZxQ

Vilitch the Curseling - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0emnNGcfCM

Valkia the Bloody leaked

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 09, 2022, 01:11:26 PM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #89 on: August 11, 2022, 06:06:13 AM

Fun stuff, but this game has stopped existing for me until Immortal Empires launches later this month.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 11, 2022, 02:03:42 PM

Immortal Empires First Look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zveFDWkaTYM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 14, 2022, 01:24:18 PM

Fun stuff, but this game has stopped existing for me until Immortal Empires launches later this month.

I get the impression that what opens up on Aug 23rd really is beta.

Based on the you tube channels with early access, it has a lot of good ideas, but then they run into a whole 'oh yeah but this is borked'.

Norsca, Tomb Kings, and few others seem to have had some good tweaks. Vampires, Elves, and some others haven't really been adjusted to the new WH3 mechanics.

Really good to see they've replaced the tiresome chaos invasion with a random end game crisis fronted by either Orcs, Dwarfs, Vampires, TKs, or Wood Elves.

I suspect it will get there, but don't have high expectations for state of the game in a couple of weeks.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 21, 2022, 05:32:12 AM

I get the impression that what opens up on Aug 23rd really is beta.

CA literally said its a beta.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #93 on: August 23, 2022, 08:21:17 AM

Immortal Empires patch is live.  For anyone who doesn't already have the previous games, Total War: Warhammer 1 and 2 are heavily discounted on Steam right now.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 28, 2022, 02:33:42 AM

I thought id get into some TW again with Warhammer 2, and get 3 down the line.

But I just find all the different units and abilities and spells etc tiring. I'd rather more straightforward tactical elements as getting your head around the rest just takes too much effort.

I assume 3 is just even more of this?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 28, 2022, 03:04:32 AM

It is, but you can mitigate it by choosing a fairly normal faction until you understand it better.

High elves or empire have a little magic but mostly play like a recognisable fantasy army. Or you can play Bretonnia and only worry about horses.

And sticking to magic that just burns things keeps it fairly simple.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: August 28, 2022, 07:44:06 PM

You may want to Google which factions of your chosen race(s) are the easiest for beginners -- there can be a pretty wide range in difficulty given the variety of starting positions and Legendary Lords. I actual just started playing II as well while I wait for Immortal Empires to get fixed up and am playing Tyrion of the High Elves (Eataine faction) who from my searches was the consensus easiest / most beginner friendly of the Vortex campaign factions with the bonus that he's a tutorial campaign as well so the Vortex mechanics are explained (a bit) as well as gameplay basics. I played the first one but that was a while ago so I don't mind the refresher.

You can also just play in "strategic" mode and have it auto-resolve battles for you if you are finding the actual battle mechanics difficult.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 28, 2022, 08:30:33 PM

Yeah it's not the difficultly so much, just the prep. And I find the tactical game the real heart of the series, the strategic layer is ok, but not where most of the fun is.

I might just try some battles rather than campaigns.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #98 on: September 07, 2022, 07:41:32 AM

As Eldaec said, Empire and High Elves (and now Cathay and Kislev in TW3) are the classic balanced factions that have a decent mix of everything and play like a classic game where you can have a line of infantry in front of archers and artillery while your cavalry runs around the flanks.

Some other straightforward factions to try are the Vampire Counts (all melee, no missiles), Dwarfs (focus on immobile blocks of infantry protecting lethal guns), or maybe Lizardmen (strong infantry, huge-ass dinosaurs).

Pro-tip for magic: at certain levels, spells can be overcast by clicking on the cast button twice during battle.  If the highlight ring brightens, it will overcast for a higher cost with added effects and a chance to backfire.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 10, 2022, 09:11:43 AM

I think I've concluded magic is not nearly as central to 3 as it was in 2.

Total magic is now capped at 100. Which is pretty low be wh2 standards.

There is little point bringing more than 1 caster and even that is no longer an automatic priority.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 12, 2022, 05:29:58 PM

I don't know how it'll be in Immortal Empires in 3, but I know in Mortal Empires the Dwarfs had the weird situation of being easy and fun to play, but their map position was incredibly rough for a "beginner" labeled faction. Tons of greenskins to the south and east, vampires to the west, and it was very easy to get hemmed in and locked in to their starting areas with no good avenues of breaking out.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #101 on: September 13, 2022, 06:36:24 AM

Turtling up with the dwarfs isn't necessary a bad thing.  Take your starting province and maybe the one to the northeast for more gold, then level it up until you can field an army of ironbreakers, thunderers, and heavy artillery and you won't have trouble anywhere you decide to go.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 29, 2022, 12:58:43 PM

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 16, 2023, 01:27:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqhc3mK06r0

Immortal Empires free for anyone that owns Warhammer 3, all dlcs can be purchased separately without the need to own the corresponding game, for access within Immortal Empires. Also any free dlc can be gained without the need for the corresponding game as logn as you have access tot he race that it belongs to.

Also DAWI-ZHARR!!!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 25, 2023, 10:29:13 AM

Game is in decent shape now.

And with the main campaign open to everyone you no longer have to add all the small print to a recommendation.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3  
Jump to: