Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3  (Read 24830 times)
Meester
Terracotta Army

on: February 01, 2021, 05:12:38 PM

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:47:38 AM by Meester »
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:03:24 AM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:01:24 AM

I don't care about constellations, just show me some ogres brawling with chaos demons!
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:14:51 AM

I spent $2502957297579 on the first two and have maybe 20 hours played, so this is terrible news!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:46:01 AM

I don't care about constellations, just show me some ogres brawling with chaos demons!

Close enough, might not be Warhammer 3 but I haven't seen this before, possibly its The Old World artwork, that's still a little bit away though.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:23:44 PM

Really intrigued to see how they set this up.

They are down to the.... less popular factions. So if the core box looks like wh1&2, a regional campaign with 4 core races, they are stuck with less popular factions and locations as the core product offering to attract new players on the final product on the IP that they likely hope sell DLC for at least 5 years.

Making this a product based on Kislev, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and chaos beasts having a fight over a boring mix of plains and tundra with a few mountains around the edge seems..... brave.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:27:13 PM

They can pick and choose a few from each of I and II to include since you'll still be forced to own the older games if you want all the races available for the "grand campaign".
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 05:47:28 PM

The real selling point is getting the game 3 unites in Mortal Empires and overrunning the maps from the first two games with tides of Ogres, Demons or Chaos Dwarves.

Plus, you know, bear cavalry?
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:15 PM

Making this a product based on Kislev, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and chaos beasts having a fight over a boring mix of plains and tundra with a few mountains around the edge seems..... brave.

Why on Earth would it be brave?

The original intention was to have all races in a trilogy from the very beginning. Plus you aren't going to attract non-tabletop players with the same. Plus people like Chaos and enjoy playing as the antagonists, you aren't going to attract Empire players without the full list of their opponents. They may be less popular for you but people enjoy trying different things and I want my Dawi-Zharr goddamit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:07:45 PM by Meester »
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:48 PM

Kislev.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:04:24 PM by Meester »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 12:02:59 AM

Why on Earth would it be brave?

The original intention was to have all races in a trilogy from the very beginning. Plus you aren't going to attract non-tabletop players with the same. Plus people like Chaos and enjoy playing as the antagonists, you aren't going to attract Empire players without the full list of their opponents. They may be less popular for you but people enjoy trying different things and I want my Dawi-Zharr goddamit.

People talk about chaos and the antagonists a lot. The stats say they play Empire and High Elves.

Like every game ever.

As a player, I'm looking forward to Chaos Dwarfs and have all the DLC so will be able to play everytging. But if I were selling this product I'd be a little more nervous.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 05:57:54 AM

I'm not sure they're that worried about attracting new customers now so much as converting existing customers from WH 1/2 to 3.  That's a pretty solid playerbase already, and it's still doing better than any of the recent historical titles.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 07:08:40 AM

https://youtu.be/HAr7yUlM0Po

Races are Chaos, Kislev, and HOLY SHIT CATHAY.

One more preorder bonus race TBA. I'd guess chaos dwarf.

9 legendary lords. Which is a weird number.

Not 100% clear if chaos is four separate chaos god races or not. But with 9 lords total, my guess is single race, at least four lords each assigned to a god.

Release '2021'.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:24:27 AM by eldaec »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 08:36:25 AM

Races are Chaos, Kislev, and HOLY SHIT CATHAY.
Gotta pander to the China market why so serious? No, but seriously, I’m not sure how they are going to get some of that stuff past the game censors.

One more preorder bonus race TBA. I'd guess chaos dwarf.

9 legendary lords. Which is a weird number.

Not 100% clear if chaos is four separate chaos god races or not. But with 9 lords total, my guess is single race, at least four lords each assigned to a god.

Release '2021'.
FAQ implies Chaos will be separate races since the total number of starting races is > 4. So 4 Chaos plus Kislav and Grand Cathay will be 6.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-iii-faq/

So for Lords it would seem like 2 each for Kislav and Grand Cathay , 1 each for each Chaos plus 1 Chaos Lord that is shared.

Edit: or maybe they are counting the DLC/preorder Lord as the 9th

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:58:50 AM by Trippy »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 09:58:23 AM

The 9th could be Archaon the Everchosen.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:18 PM

I expect Ogres for the pre-order bonus.

WHII pre-order bonus was Nosrca, which was playable in WHI

They recently expanded the map to where the Ogre Kingdoms go so that seems like an easy pre-order bonus
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 09:24:17 PM

The 9th could be Archaon the Everchosen.

Pretty pointless since he is already in the game and is not a daemon.

Its obviously Be'lakor.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 02:37:19 PM

There will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth if they are counting any WH1&2 lords in the 9.

My only hesitation about Be'lakor is it seems he'd have to be a separate 'race' again to the other chaos 4, if they are doing different rosters for each one.

And if I were CA I'd be saving him for a DLC when they'll have time for extra wacky mechanics.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 03:13:30 PM

I spent $2502957297579 on the first two and have maybe 20 hours played, so this is terrible news!

Yeah, this is pretty much me.  I don't know why, but these games never really clicked with me.  They seem like something I'd really like, and I don't have any specific problems with them (aside from maddeningly long load times before and after every single battle I don't autoresolve) but I just never got to that point where I was able to move beyond "Everyone get in a big ball and run at the enemy" level strategies.

Probably going to get #3 anyways, though.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 02:04:50 AM

The load times and end turn times have improved. And a modern ssd makes a big difference to load times in particular.

Can relate to the bit about grokking battles though.

The army diversity means working out how to use them is far less obvious than in prior games.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 04:54:11 PM

That's the least hyped I've ever been after watching a new total warhammer trailer. Wtf was that supposed to be and why did it need four videos of absolutely nothing? :insert this meeting should have been an email meme:

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 07:04:05 PM

Are you talking about the wizard videos? They are the teasers that were hinting at the factions. If you weren't prehyped they weren't aimed at you.

The trailer is here.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:06:00 PM by eldaec »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 09:12:30 PM

Yeah, I didn't find them particularly interesting either.  Apparently, they tease the four Chaos gods which we knew were coming anyway.  The biggest announcement was that Cathay would be part of the initial launch, when people weren't sure they would even be included at all.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 07:06:31 AM

Are you talking about the wizard videos? They are the teasers that were hinting at the factions. If you weren't prehyped they weren't aimed at you.

The trailer is here.

Ok that's much better.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 05:04:36 PM

Did they ever develop Cathay as an army in tabletop at all?  I know Ogres fought with them in Lore, but that's about it.  Maybe a random unit in Dogs of War.

Would love to see Ogres for this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 06:42:34 PM

Did they ever develop Cathay as an army in tabletop at all?  I know Ogres fought with them in Lore, but that's about it.  Maybe a random unit in Dogs of War.

Would love to see Ogres for this.

Nope. CA is working with GW to design the army (i think there is one coming)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 07:59:12 AM

Nice that they already have a ton of assets to work with and modify from Three Kingdoms.  I should give that one another play through.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 04:58:34 AM

I'm trying three kingdoms again at the moment.

I like how fluid the battles are and love the diplomacy upgrades. But I find the region building and character development stuff utterly impenetrable.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:39 AM

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:40 PM

Absolutely sold on this one. But I am a fan of the lore and feel of the previous games. Giant snowbear will be great fun!
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 04:14:27 PM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 03:23:37 PM

i dont get this, it looks like basically the exact game as the last 2, but presumably you lose most of the armies that were in those games + dlc's and have to rebuy them eventually as dlc's again?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:04 PM

Yes just like II was I with a different campaign map and set of base races, III will have a different campaign map and set of base races. And if you own the other two games you'll get a special "grand campaign" map that includes starting territories for all the races like what II had "merging" (with changes) the I and II campaign maps together.

Edit: will
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:17:57 PM by Trippy »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 01:19:46 AM

i dont get this, it looks like basically the exact game as the last 2, but presumably you lose most of the armies that were in those games + dlc's and have to rebuy them eventually as dlc's again?

The WH1 and 2 DLCs work in WH3, you don't rebuy them. WH1 and 2 themselves also act as very large DLCs for this game.

If you own everything you end up with 20 races and 80 different campaigns to play in WH3.

WH3 adds 7 races (admittedly 4 are Chaos variations) , and a bunch of gameplay improvements - supposedly including siege and diplomacy updates, though we don't have details.

You can see how the multi-game approach has given them space to make this more ambitious than other total wars, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they announced they were planning to do Medieval 3 the same way, with one game for each continent or something.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:41:39 AM by eldaec »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #34 on: May 22, 2021, 08:45:41 AM

An updated Medieval 3 with this graphics engine and the refinements to the game engine they've made would be fucking awesome.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 3  
Jump to: