Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Utopia (Amazon Prime 2020) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Utopia (Amazon Prime 2020)  (Read 3093 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: October 13, 2020, 07:54:03 AM

Don't bother.  It was an interesting premise, but the execution was weak.  The acting was poor, the "unique" characters were cliché.  The shock value moves were not earned... and the overall plot was ridiculous, especially with the insight we have today into a real pandemic.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:45:14 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:34 PM

If you're totally bored, I think you can bother. It's not great and there are extreme stupid parts to the script. If you like violent, comic-book stories then it might be good for you.

I think they tried their best to set up a second season that won't happen. Especially considering they got the guy that held up a boombox outside his girl's house.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 12:05:07 AM

It's a remake of a UK show from like 2014 or something that is allegedly better.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 12:15:23 AM

That UK show wasn't bad. Maybe replacing normal looking people with US television pretties wasn't the best of ideas - as usual?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:36:08 AM

Everything is always better with beautiful people!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 04:02:10 PM

Jessica Rothe aside, I don't know that the US cast is overwhelmingly more beautiful or anything.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 05:49:18 PM

Jessica Rothe aside, I don't know that the US cast is overwhelmingly more beautiful or anything.
She was wasted here.

I have not seen the original, but this clearly looked like they tried to 'one up' the original all over the place.  It just didn't gel or make any sense.

IIRC, the original show failed to tell a complete story as well.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 06:39:20 AM

I haven't watched this yet, but I watched the first season of the UK show, which was weird but good in that BBC/Euro sort of way. If you are fans of that style, you know what I mean.

The trailer looked like a Hollywood-ed up version of that show, a direction I'm not sure is a good one. Also, this isn't Netflix, it's Amazon Prime.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:29 AM

...Also, this isn't Netflix, it's Amazon Prime.
Right.  Fixed.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 12:58:37 PM

I watched it. It had it's moments they should have created more mystery and they basically solved it faster than I thought (with the comic book thing).
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 05:48:30 PM

This was actually pretty good... kinda... cheap (in a sense that things kinda just resolve with a period when you'd expect a comma).. but good.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 04:39:32 AM

Enjoyed it, had a few funny moments. Kinda wished they either wrapped it up in one season or teased out stuff a bit longer.

Fairly watchable I thought.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Utopia (Amazon Prime 2020)  
Jump to: