Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 10:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Watch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Watch  (Read 388 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

on: October 13, 2020, 08:19:03 AM

This is a BBC America adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Night Watch. Airing in January 2021. They have the right to adapt other disc world stories so I hope they do this one justice.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-watch-trailer-bbc-discworld-series-tv-show/
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 05:41:19 PM

By all accounts, they don't--there are tons of people who are pissed off and it doesn't seem an entirely Twitterish annoyance. Among other things, they went out of their way to remove any credit to Pratchett himself, which just seems churlish.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:31:06 PM

The books centered on The Watch arr most of my favorites of Pratchett's discworld stuff and based on the trailer and various reporting, they seem to have radically departed from the source material in a number of ways.  It's possible this might still be a fun show, but i suspect it's not going to get a lot of love from people who are invested in the original books.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:35:38 AM

I have to say that it looked like a pretty radical departure from the Sam Vimes I had in my head. Likewise Carrot seems to look more like how you'd stereotype him from how he acts - which kind of misses the point that he's meant to be a red-haired classically handsome hero character who just happens not to be the main character. I always pictured him as basically Ankh Morpork Captain America who behaves like an awkward nerd.  Making him a lanky geek kind of loses that fun contrast.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 05:07:08 AM

I pretty much agree with all of you. I'll still give it a chance though. How did they try to take credit away from Pratchett? And Vimes isn't at all the way I envisioned him either.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:40 AM

No Nobby and Colon?  Boo.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:49 AM

Pratchett's daughter tweeted about it--that the credits have the showrunner as "creator of The Watch", apparently his Instagram is even more aggressive about not even mentioning Pratchett at all.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:25:21 AM

That's truly offensive. If I'd known that I never would have even brought up the show here. I guess Neil Gaiman is the only one who can do Pratchett shows with any degree of respect or accuracy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Watch  
Jump to: