Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Raised By Wolves (HBO Max) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raised By Wolves (HBO Max)  (Read 7182 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: September 03, 2020, 09:25:17 PM

Ridley Scott directs the first two episodes about a far-future post-apocalyptic attempt to save humanity (destroyed by a fanatical religious war) by sending androids and human embryos to the potentially habitable (real) Kepler 22b. But wait, of course there's more.

His son directs the third episode. I've only watched the first ep so far, but I'm in. Fucking Ridley Scott androids. Ragnar from Vikings plays a kind of space templar.

Watch a trailer here.

(if you're in Australia, it's on Foxtel and Binge)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:28:08 AM

I saw the commercial for this somewhere. Looked interesting.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 11:32:58 AM

I want to watch this but Roku and WB need to get their act together first.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 12:23:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this Tale. The first 40mins of the first ep was... not exactly predictable but unsurprising, then things went off the rails nicely, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:12:38 PM

Promethinator. Terminetheus? It's got those two vibes and its own stuff going on.

I finished episode 3 and think I had a good time, but I was watching with the sound too low (while working from home near wife and child) on a new streaming service that doesn't yet have closed captions, so I missed a lot of what was conveyed in the dialogue. I need to watch through again.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 06:55:14 PM

First episode was good enough I'll binge the rest in a couple of months.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:31:01 AM

I'm liking it.  Reminds me of the New Wave sci-fi stories that I grew up on.  Lots going on.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:22:27 PM

I'd watch this, but fuck foxtel.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 09:41:38 PM

Do you also object to Binge? That is Foxtel's new Netflix-priced streaming service (in Australia). It's on there, along with all the other HBO stuff. You don't need overpriced Foxtel cable.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 04:53:51 PM

Do you also object to Binge? That is Foxtel's new Netflix-priced streaming service (in Australia). It's on there, along with all the other HBO stuff. You don't need overpriced Foxtel cable.

Yeah, I've been in the fuck foxtel camp for years - but Binge is pretty nice and reasonably priced.  And I'm really enjoying working through the HBO back catalogue - well worth $14/mo.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 05:22:27 PM

I sorta object to anything News Corp, but I might give it a go.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 06:01:29 AM

Holy snakey shit.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 10:38:59 AM

So...did that little lander ship go through the planets core and come out the other side? cause if so they should be making all their ships out of whatever they made that of.

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 01:16:43 PM

This show has a lot going on. I feel satisfied like I've seen a well-constructed, quite cerebral, ten-episode movie. I'm kind of awestruck.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:48:40 PM by Tale »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 05:18:49 PM

This show has a lot going on. I feel satisfied like I've seen a well-constructed, quite cerebral, ten-episode movie. I'm kind of awestruck.

The show has a lot going on but I'm not convinced it knows how to resolve any of it. Virtually every plot thread introduced has been left dangling until next season.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 05:25:21 PM

Fine with me. I want more. Ridley Scott knows what's actually going on in every plot thread, and here are his thoughts: “It’s a very rare bird, this story. I thought: ‘Oh my god. I’ve got to do this. I’ve got to set the pace and direct the pilot.”

Another thought in response to Threash:
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 05:39:38 PM

Wanting more is fine, but I'm wary of stories that just keep throwing ideas out there without resolving some of them. Also, as much as I like Ridley Scott (and we've rewatched a ton of his stuff in our Discord movie nights this year) I'd be a lot more convinced that he knows where everything is going if he hadn't made Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 06:03:38 PM

Lots of info in this Q&A. (and spoilers if you haven't watched the show)

I found the answers sat well with how I interpreted what was going on. Only added a couple of pieces of genuine inside info.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 01:11:16 PM

Binged this over the weekend now that I can get Max.  Hoo boy did this show get freaking weird.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 01:56:03 PM

We're working through it now too. It's plenty weird.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 04:42:42 AM

I just finished season 2.

If you want full-on sci-fi and you can sustain a high dosage of weird in order to reach a satisfying destination, this still delivers.

Every episode is... a lot.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 10:18:29 PM

That was the season finale?  Didn't seem very finale-ish.

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 06:18:34 AM

Yeah it ended on cliffhangers (which I didn't mind) and set up a third season. Which has apparently been written but not yet commissioned. Will be pretty shit if they don't make it. They had five seasons in mind when they began.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:20:44 AM by Tale »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 18, 2022, 02:11:13 PM

Didn't realize they only did 8 eps this season instead of 10 like S1.  I can't believe this is popular enough to justify the cost of producing it so would be surprised if it gets a S3.

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 07:27:12 PM

Cancelled because people want endless mediocre Star Wars shows, not epic original sci-fi.

Watch this if you want to see what you lost.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: June 03, 2022, 08:26:10 PM

Cancelled because people want endless mediocre Star Wars shows, not epic original sci-fi.

Watch this if you want to see what you lost.

this is a weird take because this show fuckin sucked

and I'm practically a ridley scott apologist
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: June 03, 2022, 09:07:22 PM

I wanted to like this show but I couldn’t finish season 2.

(edit) You know what’s good original sci fi?  Severance. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:09:58 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 03, 2022, 09:42:30 PM

I got through Season 1 (since Ridley Scott directed the first 2 episodes and I'll pretty much watch anything he puts out) and wasn't compelled to come back for the second season. Much like Prometheus, this was a bunch of vague ideas masquerading as a story.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: June 03, 2022, 09:45:08 PM

I wanted to like this show but I couldn’t finish season 2.

(edit) You know what’s good original sci fi?  Severance. 

severance isn't really that original, it's just well done

it comes from a long line of urban extremist sci-fi that started with brazil
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 07:58:38 AM

this is a weird take because this show fuckin sucked

and I'm practically a ridley scott apologist

I honestly think the opposite. I thought this show was a unique and bold piece of sci-fi. It was super weird, but in the best way. It seems not to have worked for a lot of you, but I liked it as much as the showrunner did.

I loved Severance too.

Prometheus I like. Alien: Covenant I hated.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 04, 2022, 02:10:18 PM

I think this was visually and aesthetically compelling and narratively uneven. I don't think it quite had the level of "I need this to happen, so the characters must now do something supremely stupid" that Scott has frequently pushed in the scripts he films, but there's also just a lot of half-thought-through stuff that for me at least keeps me from making it appointment viewing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 04, 2022, 05:39:47 PM

I thought it was just ok. Good enough to keep watching, but barely. Frankly any show that heavily involves/revolves around kids is starting off with two strikes in my book.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Raised By Wolves (HBO Max)  
Jump to: