Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lower Decks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lower Decks  (Read 3574 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: September 03, 2020, 07:59:58 PM

Satiric Star Trek cartoon on CBS All Access.

We watched a few. I don't think it knows what its lane is in a world that has Galaxy Quest and The Orville in it and John Scalzi's Redshirts in it.

Showrunner is a Rick and Morty alum and it shows also.

It really kind of has to decide what the fuck it is. I don't think there's any need for something that presents as canonical Trek but that is completely Rick-and-Morty, Galaxy-Questing it up. The existing satires have that covered. But I think if you're canonical Trek you gotta come inside the envelope just ever so slightly more.

Honestly, I'd go with something closer to Quark (the old NBC show, not the ST character) which no one but me remembers--not "comedic reprise of the premise of the episode 'Lower Decks'" but actually completely shifting off of Starfleet completely. Maybe not a garbage scow but something more like the Marvel comic series Damage Control--a non-Starfleet ship of diplomats, merchants, emigrants, miners, crazy scientists, ex-Admirals who go around in the wake of Starfleet. Like all the people who cause trouble for Starfleet with their dumb ideas and weird personalities and obsessions, etc.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 11:41:14 PM

Having watched through episode five, I feel like they're starting to find their feet, but we shall see, I suppose.

I really don't mind a sillier slice of star trek to balance the season-long-arc-to-save-the-universe stakes of stuff like Discovery.

Lot of hate for this out there on the intarwebs, apparently by people who have a strong dislike for fun.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:26:08 AM

It's funny and I'm all for fun in Trek--I just think it's a super-crowded space and so far they haven't really figured out how to carve out a niche.

I really think if they cut loose Starfleet, take the good characters, and go off and do something else in the Trek universe that's funny they'll have a better chance to really find a niche.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 11:41:25 AM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:31:07 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:01:29 PM

Also weird that they're all ensigns, which are technically officers.  Starfleet does have crewmen, does it not?

This show is not aimed at people who know that much about Star Trek, you fucking NERD.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 06:41:53 AM

This has a second season running now.

And it is great.

They've managed to make something that is 100% a trek show and 100% a silly comedy.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 11:57:40 AM

So glad they brought back Shaxx, and did it in a way that absolutely falls in line with serialized sci-fi TV lore  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 06:14:27 AM

This has a second season running now.

And it is great.

They've managed to make something that is 100% a trek show and 100% a silly comedy.

How does it compare to Orville

Which is exactly what you just described but not shackled to star trek
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 10:04:28 AM

I like both shows but Lower Decks can actually bring up old Star Trek Easter eggs just for fun. So far I"m having fun with their villainous Pakleds and nice-guy Ferengi.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 12:45:24 PM

I think lower decks benefits for being animated and from the leads being lower deck ensigns rather than bridge crew. The star trek baggage works well for the show, the writers very clearly adore star trek while being good at making fun of it.

But anyone who likes one of Orville and LD is probably going to like the other.

Like Orville, the early episodes are less good. Just as early Orville has occasional unfunny 'Seth MacFalrlane bits', first few episodes of LD have slightly out of place 'Rick and Morty bits'.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:49:02 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 09:11:47 PM

Season four of this started this week and it started strong. Recently off the heels of the Strange New Worlds crossover, it continues to skewer the more ridiculous bits of trek lore.

My new watchword is "moopsy"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 04:36:53 PM

I think they've found their niche. My only remaining problem is that Beckett is just slightly on the wrong side of unlikeable.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 08:30:04 PM

She's definitely a work in progress, but I like her journey. Especially in this last ep. She's finally maybe starting to figure shit out and grow.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lower Decks  
Jump to: