Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bill & Ted Face the Music. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill & Ted Face the Music.  (Read 4911 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: August 28, 2020, 09:26:56 PM

This dropped on demand today.

It's been too long between flicks and while this one tried to live up to its predecessos, it's probably the weakest of the three.

With the exception of the women that played their daughters. Samara Weaving and Brigette Lundy-Paine played a fantastic female version of the duo as their daughters.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 10:09:47 PM

Just finished it, legit might've been my favorite one.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:46 PM

Dennis.

Fucking Dennis.

And yeah, this was definitely better than Bill & Ted Go to Hell for me.

I went into it with literally zero expectations, so maybe that is part of it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 11:29:10 PM

With the exception of the women that played their daughters. Samara Weaving and Brigette Lundy-Paine played a fantastic female version of the duo as their daughters.

I liked it overall, but I agree that the daughters were a high point.  They could easily have been terrible, but they did a perfect job of embodying the youthful versions of their fathers.  I particularly loved how they always said "dads", the same way Bill and Ted always spoke in plurals, i.e. "evil robot usses".  Just the right amount of congruency without simply retreading old lines.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:04:54 AM

The thing that made the difference for me more than anything was the music. It just wasn't quite as good as the first two. (That and the fact that the second time I saw the first one, it was a weirdly dubbed Japanese version on a long flight to Osaka.)

I will say, the Hendrix and Armstrong bits were solid and KidCudi's "Station" shoutout made me yell, "Station!" in response.

But the music. I miss the music of the first two. As weak as Bogus Journey was, that Kiss song ending was worth it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 01:52:11 PM

Caught this last night and it was a decent rental all in all.

I tend agree with Surlyboi that the music was not nearly as good as the first two and other than the Jimi Hendrix and Armstrong the music was a bit forgettable.

Overall it made for a fun evening distraction.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 04:31:43 PM

Has there been any movie in the last 10 years that had the kind of attention to soundtrack setup that they had in the era of MTV being the driver of pop culture?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 05:11:49 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Sing Street, and probably some others if I thought about it. Diminished focus on soundtrack is probably more a function of how people get music these days as opposed to anything MTV related.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 05:13:26 PM

Baby Driver?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 05:37:55 PM

Has there been any movie in the last 10 years that had the kind of attention to soundtrack setup that they had in the era of MTV being the driver of pop culture?
Sucker Punch.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 08:27:29 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of awoke everyone to the very ordinary MTV-era insight that you could like, actually use music to structure a narrative that wasn't narrowly about that music and wasn't a musical per se.

And then like other things, most movie-makers were like "oh man that's too hard, let's not".
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:42:04 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Sing Street, and probably some others if I thought about it. Diminished focus on soundtrack is probably more a function of how people get music these days as opposed to anything MTV related.

I wasn't speaking to MTV's influence directly.

Just using it to frame the era.

Sucker Punch.

--Dave

Your obsession with that terrible movie is creepy, Dave.

Also its soundtrack was bad.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 10:08:42 PM

Baby Driver?

This is maybe the best example. It's a great movie and I tell people it's actually a musical, not *just* a movie.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 05:07:53 AM

Atomic Blond.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 03:37:41 PM

Does Tron Legacy count?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 05:06:42 PM

I'm not Chimpy but I assumed he was asking about non-instrumental soundtracks, which would disqualify Tron Legacy, and I also assumed we weren't including musicals or pseudo-musicals like the Pitch Perfect movies.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 12:15:10 AM

I'm not Chimpy but I assumed he was asking about non-instrumental soundtracks, which would disqualify Tron Legacy, and I also assumed we weren't including musicals or pseudo-musicals like the Pitch Perfect movies.

Correct. I am not talking about the score of a movie. And musicals can all die in a fucking fire.

It is so nice that a half dozen movies made in the last 15 years have had every person on the spectrum trying to disprove my point.

Go back and think about the popular movies from the 80s and into the early 90s. Almost all of them had soundtracks that would make people, now, go "wow that soundtrack was AMAZING" because picking the music for soundtracks are not as important now as they were then.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 07:03:14 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of awoke everyone to the very ordinary MTV-era insight that you could like, actually use music to structure a narrative that wasn't narrowly about that music and wasn't a musical per se.

And then like other things, most movie-makers were like "oh man that's too hard, let's not".

It very nearly had what I call the Bourne effect. You know, where a film maker does something and other film makers copy it without understanding it. In Bourne's case it was the plague of shaky cam. With Guardians, there were a few movies that came out that tried to ape its use of soundtrack and failed terribly at it. (Suicide Squad comes to mind.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 08:02:16 AM

It very nearly had what I call the Bourne effect. You know, where a film maker does something and other film makers copy it without understanding it. In Bourne's case it was the plague of shaky cam. With Guardians, there were a few movies that came out that tried to ape its use of soundtrack and failed terribly at it. (Suicide Squad comes to mind.)

The Inception noise is suddenly popping into mind.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bill & Ted Face the Music.  
Jump to: