Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 03:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lovecraft Country 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lovecraft Country  (Read 3305 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 08, 2020, 07:40:52 PM

The source material is written in the vein of a series of short stories with characters who persist between them. Kind of game of thrones ish except for one the stories aren't happening at the same and their connectivity is more to do with the strangeness encircling one family less because the characters affect each others individual stories.

If bored and want something to read click here -> http://memiorsofatroll.wordpress.com/
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: September 08, 2020, 08:28:55 PM

I think we learn a little something at the end of each episode that turns seemingly unrelated material into an indication of something more cohesive.  I don't think we'll know what the finale is about until half way through it... the question is whether it pays off everything.

Ultimately the only pay off I'm looking for is for it to be entertaining. This is the kind of story that probably shouldn't be tied together neatly. I want something like this to be a little messy and for some things (maybe a lot of things) to go unexplained.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:59 AM

I want something like this to be a little messy and for some things (maybe a lot of things) to go unexplained.

I agree with this.  Part of what makes Lovecraft fun is that he'll describe some weird shit while conveying that it's only the tip of the iceberg.  Wrapping everything in a neat bow is beside the point, if not completely antithetical to it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 09, 2020, 10:49:15 AM

Right, but that applies to the mythos, not the characters and storyline.  I don't need to see consistent rules for magic, an ecology for the monsters, or anything along those lines. 

However, it doesn't serve anything well if something out of the blue negates story elements. 

You still need a strong story that includes victories that are earned and characters that develop.  If they're battling a bunch of warlocks in the season finale and suddenly a brand new monster appears and eats the warlocks, that would be a VERY different experience than what we saw in the pilot.  You need the culmination of a season to actually, you know, culminate.  I have no idea what the season finale will be, but my hope is that it will build upon the story elements we've seen so far and pay off on our interest in the prior events.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: Today at 01:01:07 PM

Holy shit, that was fucking Ando from Heroes.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #75 on: Today at 02:59:20 PM

Holy shit, that was fucking Ando from Heroes.

Yeah, it took me a minute to recognize him as well.

Even though it was definitely a "side story/backstory" episode, I think it was one of their best. When I heard that the guy playing Tick had been cast as Kang, I thought it was a good casting - this episode solidified that judgement.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lovecraft Country  
Jump to: