Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: What Online Board Games are Working for You? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Online Board Games are Working for You?  (Read 6862 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:11 PM

There is a surge in people playing online board games. Some of them are running into server issues, others were crappy ports of board games in the first place.  So.... what games are ye all playing online that are working.

I recently moved from the West to East Coast, so I'm trying to use these things to hang with some of the folks I left behind.  So far, everything either sucks, or costs enough that I won't pay for it until someone confirms it not sucking.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 06:19:43 PM

I play some games at boardgamearena. Mostly Jaipur.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 06:20:35 PM

Any problems with them in the past 48 hours if you'e played?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 07:14:31 PM

Nice.  Looks good.  Thanks.  Any others?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:23:30 PM

Any problems with them in the past 48 hours if you'e played?

No issues.

I also play 18xx games on rr18xx sometimes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:02:21 PM

Rr18xx has you playing with a docs or Excel spreadsheet also right? Or is that board18?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:41:18 AM

Thats board18. I've not played with that one.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 02:28:41 PM

Boardgamearena has shut down new membership for a bit it seems (right after I am and a few friends joined). 

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:44 PM

Lockdown finally made me decide to start with Gloomhaven (gonna play solo with two characters). Punishing, quite a juggle to decide between cards because of the lost/discard mechanic...But yeah, I see why it's so highly regarded (though I'm more of an "ameritrash" at heart when it comes to dungeon crawlers).

As you probably know, there is a fully-featured (and scripted) module on Tabletop Simulator (with the author giving his blessing to it): it definitely helps me because I have four cats (and a dog  why so serious?) and without one of those nifty (and too expensive) boardgame tables that you can cover once you're finished.

But it's really helpful because I can experiment with the different starting classes now that I'm a newbie without the need of setting up everything for a simple casual run. I load up the module and in a few minutes I'm ready to go. Also, it can help if you want to "save" your physical game without having to take notes, which is actually crucial for any other lenghty game for a solo player like me.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:38 PM

Lockdown finally made me decide to start with Gloomhaven (gonna play solo with two characters). Punishing, quite a juggle to decide between cards because of the lost/discard mechanic...But yeah, I see why it's so highly regarded (though I'm more of an "ameritrash" at heart when it comes to dungeon crawlers).

Same thing with me. I hated it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:25:30 PM

I really liked the interaction with other players for a bit - but then we ended up with three characters that did not complement each other and that would never retire... and it turned into a slog.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 12:21:21 PM

http://play.boardgamecore.net/ is good if you like splotter (everyone likes splotter).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: What Online Board Games are Working for You?  
Jump to: