Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming during the virus apocalypse (those backlogs!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaming during the virus apocalypse (those backlogs!)  (Read 3167 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: March 16, 2020, 08:01:41 AM

I am in Italy and I have been shut in for a week. We are fine so far, we can go to the grocery store (1 person at a time) and we can still buy games on Steam.

But let's pretend for a minute we couldn't anymore. What is your priority list, from your certainly-as-big-as-mine backlogs?

So, counting only the games that you already own and CAN actually set up and play (no Ocarina of Time if you don't have it ready to play in your home), what would your next 6 months look like if we were bolted in our houses and fed through government issued rations?

I'll start:

- All the Trails games. I have Cold Steel 2 and 3 ready to go, and then move back to Trails in the Sky.
- The Tales series. Tales of Berseria in particular. I started it a few times but got sidetracked. Always wanted to dig deeper though.
- Operencia. Nice looking old style dungeon crawler I always wanted to have more time for.
- Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls. Bad looking old style dungeon crawler. It takes me back like few other games.
- Finally finish Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.
- Oh, and of course, Pathologic 1 and 2. Always wanted to be able to sink into these terribly morbid games about an isolated Russian town dying by a "strange, lethal sickness" well no better time than during a pandemic.

There's more of course, but as I said priority is key here. We all have so much stuff in the backlog, so this is about what would you run to first. Clearly, to me the shut-in apocalypse reeks of Japanese dungeon crawlers until the day I die.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:06:43 AM

I'd do another run through Horizon: Zero Dawn and finish up all the side quests I missed when I made the mistake of going super hardcore mode in New Game Plus.
Then, I'd probably play the single player bits of GTA V, Red Dead 2 and a few other games that I played just long enough to get into the online segments. (I've literally played none of GTA V beyond the intro)
Then, if I was still stuck, I'd run through Division 1 again and find all the missing easter eggs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:11:53 AM

I'd do another run through Horizon: Zero Dawn and finish up all the side quests I missed when I made the mistake of going super hardcore mode in New Game Plus.
Then, I'd probably play the single player bits of GTA V, Red Dead 2 and a few other games that I played just long enough to get into the online segments. (I've literally played none of GTA V beyond the intro)
Then, if I was still stuck, I'd run through Division 1 again and find all the missing easter eggs.

I got into GTA V because of a buddy and we ran online for the longest time before I decided to play the single player. It's worth it... good story and well worth a play-thru.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:30 AM

We're still reporting to the physical building, though we're closed to the public. So I'm still in normal gaming mode, unfortunately. If we were fully shut down, though...

MC Eternal modpack for minecraft.
Persona 5, which I'm approx 40% through
RDR2, been thinking about giving it another try
Madden
Golf Club 2
Rocksmith (the last 3 always in rotation)
The Sinking City (I've cooled on it but it's something)
GTA V is a good call, I never finished the main story (Trevor is SO GOOD, embrace it; Michael and Franklin are ok but I wish Franklin had been CJ)

After that I'd actually have to crack open my libraries and see what else I'd tackle.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:17:17 AM

slay the spire switch

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 10:39:59 AM

PoE when I can wrestle the PC away from the family.

Otherwise I feel too crappy to play much else. I can't be in the family room. Son has the Switch at the moment to play Fortnite while the wife works.

It's been mostly card games on my phone and just tons of YouTube, Twitch, and Netflix/Hulu.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 11:33:18 AM

Some highlights from my list.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - One more month (April 10). Have the demo but haven't started it yet.

The Division 2: Warlords of New York (PC) - Just got to DC World Tier 5 last night (didn't bother to use the boost cause I wanted to do the missions). Back to NYC after a bit of gear grinding at Tier 5.

Control (PC) - Got it during the recent Epic Games Store sale but haven't started it yet.

Total War: Warhammer II (PC) - Been playing the first one as the Dwarfs. Once I finish that up I'll give II a try. Not sure who I'll play as next.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch) - Haven't started yet. Not a Metroidvania fan but I liked the look/graphics of this one so I got it on the recent sale to give it a try.

Mythgard (PC) - I like the world building and want to finish the story missions. The actual game mechanics are just alright.

The Witcher 3 (PC) - Got to the first little town after the tutorials, tried to do some of the initial side quests, got bored and didn't play again. Learned afterwards the game actually gets good after that town.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4) - Got to MR 11 (HR 161) but my gear is so ghetto that each Iceborne hunt is a long slog and there were other things I wanted to play at the time rather than regrind for gear.

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (PC) - Waiting for the PC version to replay this and do The Frozen Wilds so I don't have to deal with LOLconsoleshooter controls again. No release date yet so it may fall outside the 6 months window. I tried to do The Frozen Wilds after having not played for like two years and couldn't get past the first Ravager.

NieR: Automata (PC) - Part way through the 2nd run/ending.

Bloodborne (PS4) - Got almost to the end but then got stuck trying to do the DLC. I'm so out of practice, though, that I'm not sure I can finish it even if I wanted to.

Uncharted 4 (PS4) - Played a bit of it but then put it down for reasons I can't remember.

XCOM 2 (PC) - Got into a bad state in one of the early mission that even save scumming can't get me out of and didn't feel like restarting at that time.

Final Fantasy XII (Switch) - About 2/3rds done maybe (~40 hours played so far)? Have gotten much further than I did on the PS2 version. The QoL improvements in the Zodiak edition help a lot.

Final Fantasy XIII (PC) - My 3rd attempt through the game (twice on PS3). Always peter out when I get to Gran Pulse. I will get through it one of these days.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 11:46:58 AM

I really wanted to finish FF13, but back then my PS3 died while fighting the final boss and the save file was lost forever. I refused to start again from scratch all these years, but I hate having the game mark as "unfinished" in my mind archive.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:30 PM

Yeah, I've long given up on taming the backlog, but here goes...

Recently playing/played since the original outbreak:

- Beautiful Desolation (PC) - Nice art and appropriately weird premise for adventure game(s), but hasn't grabbed me yet.
- Horizon's Gate (PC) - Awesome indie Final Fantasy Tactics / Pirates! hybrid (though I suppose it's closer to Uncharted Waters -- never played that one). This game pretty much consumed my last week by itself, and I can see some more playthroughs in my future. Om nom nom.
- Trails in the Sky (PC) - Finally picked it up after hearing all the hype. I'm 4 hours into the game and still in the prologue, that means it's a good JRPG, right?
- Roll20 (browser) - the only MMO I've really played the last 3 years. Being a Shadowrun GM is like being a tank when everyone is 'LF1M tank pst', only even better because that asshole hunter can't triple pull. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure learning the SR 5th ed ruleset is the equivalent of going through at least one moderately obnoxious college class with only a 2500-page terribly edited textbook.

Planning to play for the first time (or revisit), all on PC:

- Pathfinder Kingmaker with turn-based mod - I hear it's kinda cool... so cool they straight up put it in the sequel.
- Witcher 3 - yeahhhh I have never played this one, and I think I kinda should
- Divinity Original Sin 2 - ditto
- Baba Is You - I got pretty far in earlier, but the later levels make me feel really dumb sometimes.
- Bard's Tale remake, Bard's Tale IV, Stranger of Sword City, Swords and Sorcery Underworld, 7 Mages - a bunch of indie-ish dungeon crawlers piling up in my steam inventory, some of them gotta be at least decent.
- Legend of Grimrock 1-2 maybe? I've had them in my steam inventory forever too, though not a super big fan of realtime crawlers.
- Stasis / Cayne - if Beautiful Desolation turns out to be good (same developer)
- Maybe all those old Sierra point-and-click games that I picked up in a $1 steam sale or something. I haven't played any of them back in the day...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:59:28 PM by Zetor »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:42 PM

Doom remake on PC (the one from a couple of years ago).
Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4.
If I get a chance.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 06:57:33 AM

I have endless value in both Fallout and Skyrim in VR, and also Walking Dead because it feels so relevant suddenly, but if we have to talk regular games...

-Several FF titles.  4, 6, 7, (maybe) 8, 9, 10, 12, 15.   Left 13 off just because I doubt I will ever replay that one
-Just re-installed Dying Light
-Just re-installed Metal Gear 5
-Basically every Zelda game of note
-All the Trails games that I have, though I need to wait a while for digging into them, they are massive
-Maybe try to actually play through Witcher's 2 and 3.
-Fallen Order, which I still have a way to go
-All the Souls games.

Got tons of other junk, but that would probably be the stuff at the top of the list.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 08:03:46 AM

I was playing through some old Genesis games and suddenly my emulator stopped accepting keyboard inputs.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 10:38:28 AM

I started to laugh, but then....

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 04:41:16 PM

I started to laugh, but then....

For the record, last time I tried and I was really committed to the point of radicalthonning (?) it, serious stuff happened in real life that froze my existence. When it slowly thawed, I didn't even remember what dungeon I was in.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming during the virus apocalypse (those backlogs!)  
Jump to: