Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Games for Kids that never played 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Games for Kids that never played  (Read 3577 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: March 15, 2020, 09:59:03 AM

Hey all,

So with the extended break (lol), my 6 yo is stuck home with probably not much to do while mom+I work from home.

She's never really been interested in games, but I recently got a Switch, we have an iPad and my computer.  I figure that Video Games are the best way to keep her occupied.

Any suggestions beyond Mario Odyssey (so hard for her on her own, we're playing together though) or Minecraft (apparently too complicated) for a game for her that wouldn't require much explaining?  She can read well enough but is just so bad at video games.

I don't remember ever learning to play video games, so this is a bit tough to do, especially since there isn't another kid to get her to play.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:24:42 AM

Video games can be a hard sell for some. When my cousins and I were little, they were pretty uninterested in video games at all, while I was completely enamored with my aunt and uncle's pong machine. I still played with toys and what-not, but I was always laser focused on the opportunity to play on the TV. When I got my 2600 for Xmas, that was the end of innocence of me and I been hooked since. My cousins never were... they saw it as a toy and moved right on into sports or other activities.

Some kids just have no interest in video games. They should be shamed and cast out as the heathens they are.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:02:06 AM

Hate to gender type, but there used to be a bunch of Fashion style games that might keep her interested for a minute -- the sort of thing where you basically just dress up a doll online.

I also remember a "Horse Stable" game that my daughter liked for a minute (sorry for not remembering the name -- it's been a few). You basically just paraded a horse around and brushed it. Not even sure what the hell the game actually was, but my daughter thought it was fun for a while -- in between her car racing games.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 01:04:00 PM

A freeware version of Toontown is available. I just checked it out and it seems to be as kid friendly as I remember it being.

https://www.toontownrewritten.com/
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 01:06:11 PM

Hate to gender type, but there used to be a bunch of Fashion style games that might keep her interested for a minute -- the sort of thing where you basically just dress up a doll online.

So basically an MMO.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 01:12:47 PM

Animal Crossing is out on the 20th. Note that Nintendo is being its usual butthead self and locking saves to the physical device and can’t be backed up. They said that sometime in the future they will allow you to recover a save *once* from their servers but who knows when the fuck that will be. So if you don’t mind possibly losing hundreds if not thousands of hours when your device breaks that might be a good option. Oh and each device will be locked to the same island so you can’t have different users playing on different islands. Because, again, Nintendo.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 03:53:05 PM

Some early games my son enjoyed:
Minecraft (with me on Switch)
Stardew Valley
Castle Crashers
Dungeon Defenders
Mario Kart

-Rasix
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 05:23:37 PM

When my daughter was little, I downloaded the Ragnarok Online private server and a client and let her play that.

It was great for a little girl, because it was basically Precious Moments: the MMO.  She was young enough that uncomplicated grinding really held her attention.  And private server meant no 1.[General] asshats.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 05:38:51 PM

I sort of wonder if you couldn't lock Sims4 to be safe so that it was 100% a doll house.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 12:29:27 PM

I can't seem to find anywhere that has a Nintendo Switch to buy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 12:48:54 PM

Order online from GameStop?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:48:50 PM

Dark Souls. Prepare her for life.

why so serious?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 01:52:35 PM

Better to teach her how to farm for money in MMOs instead.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 05:43:49 PM

Order online from GameStop?

I think that's what I'm going to do tonight. Forgot about ordering online from them.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:38:41 PM

GameStop for the console and Mario Odyssey. Amazon for an extra controller, Zelda and Smash.

This will be my kids first console system.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:10 AM

Better to teach her how to farm for money in MMOs instead.

Optimist
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:36 AM

A bit younger but my 4 year old girl kind of likes Mario kart tour, somethign to try out on a phone.

Maybe other similar style simple racing games. Now that I think about it at 6-7 I was pretty into games like excite bike, paperboy and skate or die. Probably the automated motion aspect of these types is easier and more appealling for kids to handle than a platformer with manual motion + other input for actions. Also there's gotta be some Paw Patrol games or something out by now too I think I've seen them pop up on youtube (one was a simple platform game), not sure what systems they're on.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:32 AM

Animal Crossing is out on the 20th. Note that Nintendo is being its usual butthead self and locking saves to the physical device and can’t be backed up. They said that sometime in the future they will allow you to recover a save *once* from their servers but who knows when the fuck that will be. So if you don’t mind possibly losing hundreds if not thousands of hours when your device breaks that might be a good option. Oh and each device will be locked to the same island so you can’t have different users playing on different islands. Because, again, Nintendo.

Risk accepted.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 06:46:14 PM

My daughter (9) is and always has been terrible at video games.  She just can't control a character, freaks out, and can't learn, despite being great at a lot of other tasks that require manual dexterity.  She is also a terrible loser. The only game she likes on our switch is Mario Kart.  You can usually beat the computer on Mario Kart without drifting or anything else terribly challenging.

On PC we have played through all the Monkey Island games together, and she also really likes Scribblenauts, although that game might be a bit much for a 6 depending on her reading level. She liked Stardew Valley but found the micromanagement frustrating. I got the new Animal Crossing and I think my daughter will really be into it. She also likes Monument Valley a lot.

My 5 year old son, on the other hand, loves games and is great at them for his age.  Mario Odyssey is easy enough that he was able to finish the main story more or less by himself - he has had a lot of screen time the last few months driving around to other activities. He also likes Splatoon.  He loves Breath of the Wild. He can't accomplish anything by himself, but he likes running around chopping down trees and cooking.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 09:29:10 AM

Update: Animal Crossing is a big hit with my nine year old who doesn't like video games.  Good quarantine distraction.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Games for Kids that never played  
Jump to: