Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Parasite 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parasite  (Read 3668 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

on: February 09, 2020, 10:55:18 PM

We watched this a week or so ago. I didn't see the appeal; it seemed like an amalgam of other movies I have seen without the sum being greater than the parts.

What am I missing? It just won a bunch of awards.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:14 AM

Is it subtitled?  I would consider giving it a try if it wasn't, but life is too short and there are too many other options for me to bother with reading a movie.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 12:35:54 AM

We watched this a week or so ago. I didn't see the appeal; it seemed like an amalgam of other movies I have seen without the sum being greater than the parts.

I liked the movie up until the end when it fell apart. I'd say it maybe doesn't deserve a best picture Oscar, but it's the Oscars and who gives a fuck. Having said that, I have no idea what you think this movie is an amalgam of.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:24:46 AM

Is it subtitled?  I would consider giving it a try if it wasn't, but life is too short and there are too many other options for me to bother with reading a movie.
What the fuck is this post. Very seriously.  What.

I called it the best movie of the year until the last 20 minutes or so, but I'm with Velorath. Between us our movie knowledge is probably encyclopedic and I have NO idea what movies you're thinking about.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:20:07 AM

I thought it was very good, but I do see the point that some people have made about the film being tonally inconsistent in ways that are either genius or annoying depending on your own tastes/preferences--the mix of comedic/serious/violent elements is very interesting.

For the first part of the film, it comes off like a heist/con-game film (the poor family seem very practiced at what they're doing), then there's a pretty abrupt turn towards a more serious tone where the family don't seem like they're playing a con (when the rich family go on vacation) and then a very abrupt shift further towards a kind of violent screwball caper-gone-bad story with a lot of pathos. I liked the way these shifts played out and kept me engaged, but I can see someone thinking it's a lack of clarity about the story.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:34:08 PM

The movie is amazing. A comedy thriller. I didn't find the tonal shifts as an 'amalgam' because, well, it's deliberate; It's what the movie is trying to do. Having the expectation that this is some dramatic piece trying to imitate life is a misconception that will lessen your enjoyment.

I'm told a bit of what the movie has to say about Korea is lost on western audiences, but I think some of it came through pretty universally.

Not seeing a movie because it has subtitles is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:38:50 PM by lamaros »
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 06:11:29 PM

I'm told a bit of what the movie has to say about Korea is lost on western audiences, but I think some of it came through pretty universally.

We'll see. They're doing an American TV series.

I don't think it translates. It's going to have to substantially change.

Like, I understood it and its constructs but that's because I'm not a troglodyte. Your average American would need this movie explained to them - slowly.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:38:20 PM

They're doing an American TV series.

Argh.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:59:20 PM

Re: subtitles.  I probably deserve that reaction, but the truth of the matter is that I have an impossible backlog of things to watch and I have to figure out where to spend my time.  I don't like subtitles, I am fucking tired of subtitles, and I guarantee I have seen more subtitled shit than the vast majority of people as a person who has lived in a foreign country for the last 2+ decades and likely that includes all of you.  If that means I miss a good movie or series here and there, I am totally fine with that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 04:21:33 AM

Hey now, not only have I lived in non-english speaking countries for a long time now, my hearing is shit, so I watch all English movies with subtitles on also.   awesome, for real

I honestly don't even notice that I'm reading and watching a movie at the same time anymore.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 05:58:03 AM

Re: subtitles.  I probably deserve that reaction, but the truth of the matter is that I have an impossible backlog of things to watch and I have to figure out where to spend my time.  I don't like subtitles, I am fucking tired of subtitles, and I guarantee I have seen more subtitled shit than the vast majority of people as a person who has lived in a foreign country for the last 2+ decades and likely that includes all of you.  If that means I miss a good movie or series here and there, I am totally fine with that.
I guarantee that isn't the argument you want to go with on a forum where most people prefer foreign shit.

At least in my case, I'd put money on it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:12:32 AM

Obviously.  But this is no such place as far as I can tell.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Parasite  
Jump to: