Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Avenue 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avenue 5  (Read 2102 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: January 20, 2020, 09:42:55 AM

Avenue 5 started last night. This is the new "sci-fi" comedy on HBO by Armando Ianucci, creator of Veep and In the Thick of It. It wasn't quite as funny as Veep on its surface, but did have some good moments. The premise looks like it could have some length to it - what should have been an 8-week trip turns into a 3-year voyage of the damned, led by Hugh Laurie as a phony captain and Josh Gad as a mixture of Donald Trump and Elon Musk (when he's stoned, not the smart Musk). Some pretty good effects used for good slapstick comedy in the first one and a little bit of Ianucci's patented fast-paced dialogue.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:33:12 PM

I was a bit underwhelmed by the first episode.  Also I don’t understand a space vessel that can’t alter its course.

But I will give it a few episodes to see them find their feet.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 03:30:00 PM

Veep was pure genius so I will this a shot, but only after its done showing and I can binge it.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:10 AM

I'm waiting for some episodes to build up but it is a bit odd going into an Ianucci thing not being entirely clear what, if anything, it is satirising.

He seems to have reached the point where people will give him money to do whatever the fuck he wants. Which is nice for him certainly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 12:44:50 AM

Heh, this show has got pretty dark and weird so I am for it.  awesome, for real

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:28 AM

I have been watching and waiting for this to get good.  It finally paid off this last episode as I was laughing my ass off.

Judging from the subject matter I must be some kind of sick fucker.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:45:01 PM

You and me both then as I was similarly cackling with delight as that was going down.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:09 AM

This is a good Covid watch.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 11:51:24 AM

I binged most of the season earlier this week and it did not disappoint. Absolutely hilarious in some parts with good performances and good insults.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Avenue 5  
Jump to: