Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Grand Sumo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grand Sumo  (Read 4715 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 13, 2020, 08:42:07 PM

Six tournaments a year. I'm just posting here because we watch it as a group in discord and it's fucking GREAT. Also we know way too much about Sumo now so. There's that also.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:43 PM

SUMO!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 11:08:39 PM

Is this like a codeword for some new kind of card game, or is it fat Japanese dudes grabbing each other's underpants in an effort to roll the other guy out of the ring?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:43:08 AM

It's a lot more than that.  Pretty brutal actually, though the quickness of the bouts makes it fun to watch.

Here is a vid showing some of the current top ranked Sumo wrestler's (Hakuho) greatest hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcT5AtFa67k

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:55 AM

I appreciate the spectacle, tradition and pageantry of the whole thing.  But that doesn't mean it isn't also fat Japanese dudes grabbing underpants and throwing the other guy out of the ring.  The primary brutality being that against the poor souls who sit in the front row and probably sometimes get squished to death.

That Hakuho guy appears to be pretty good at using both fake and real slaps to the face to fuck up his opponents.

All that said, it looks like great fun.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:18:52 AM

I appreciate the spectacle, tradition and pageantry of the whole thing.  But that doesn't mean it isn't also fat Japanese dudes grabbing underpants and throwing the other guy out of the ring.  The primary brutality being that against the poor souls who sit in the front row and probably sometimes get squished to death.
I mean, it is that to.  But it's also insanely strong men hitting each other with full charge body blows that would literally shatter most human beings, along with slaps/elbows hits so strong it knocks people out.  I still haven't followed it enough to really gain an understanding, but every move/technique they make is part of an overall sumo martial art.  I think if I learned to appreciate all the moves and philosophy behind the various techniques they decide to use against opponents, would be even more interesting (much like how learning to appreciate good pitching helped me enjoy baseball a lot more).

I also know that if I was to go to one of these tournaments and sit in the front row, I'd absolutely have something like Tochinoshin flying full force out of the ring and vaporizing me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:10:37 AM

I also know that if I was to go to one of these tournaments and sit in the front row, I'd absolutely have something like Tochinoshin flying full force out of the ring and vaporizing me.

Start prepping now then.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 07:28:55 PM

Are you telling him to put on some weight?  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Grand Sumo  
Jump to: